advertisement

Salas Shunt Regulator Build

That's getting crazy now. I've hardly done anything to mine. I loved bodging the gigadac but this one seems rather to expensive to risk killing :-(

I'd love to get a good look at some of the builds up close, be good to hear the difference as well. I'm hoping to get to Johns soon, only about 30 miles away. I'd like to listen to the to Tony's as well. Alas my house just isn't big enough to fit all of you in for a good social. Anyone fancy hosting?

Stefan

I'd be more than happy to host a "DAC" event Stefan. John's due over here sometime to try his DAC through my system, once he's got it in transportable form(!) It'd certainly be interesting to compare our various DACs; they're all so different in build.

Well maybe we should try and put a date in our diaries. That way we'll all be able to aim to put our lids on by that date. Be good to get my speakers and Tony's new Ergo's involved as well somehow.

What do you think?

Seems like it would be me, John, and the two Tony's

Stefan

Well maybe we should try and put a date in our diaries. That way we'll all be able to aim to put our lids on by that date. Be good to get my speakers and Tony's new Ergo's involved as well somehow.

What do you think?

Seems like it would be me, John, and the two Tony's

Stefan

A nice idea, I was recently invited to enjoy themysticals rig and had an enjoyable day. First time I did this, the mrsB called it my internet date :D

Ergo's are not ready yet though and I seem to live out of your area, perhaps I will have to move...

Not Rude at all Martin, although if Suffolk Tony (SF) is hosting we should defer to him.

Bemused (T) shame you are a little to far away by the sounds of it.

I'm quite central (J12 M40) and although I could just about squeeze you all in, I've got three screaming kids and two dogs so is not ideal.

Any body got any ideas that could accommodate all of us? ST, T, John, Martin and me.

T, what was themystical thing?

Stefan

I'd have no bother fitting you all in (I managed 13 or so hi-fi nuts last year. Bit too many really but they all got in...) & I'm close to Stowmarket (main line). You'd all be very welcome & SWMBO makes nice cakes!

Sounds great ST, we just need to set a date we can all manage then I guess.

T, you'll have to bring your sleeping bag!! Maybe you can get a train to leamington/warwick/banbury and i can get you for onward transport.

I don't think John has chipped in yet, he's quite central as well...........

If you wanted to crash down here for the night that'd be fine Tony. Datewise, I suppose it's got to be a weekend for you guys?

If you wanted to crash down here for the night that'd be fine Tony.

Maybe you can get a train to leamington/warwick/banbury and i can get you for onward transport.

Gentlemen they are both mighty fine offers but either way it is a big journey and I will have to give it a miss although it would be great to have met and listened to other kit.
I have to put a practicable limit of say 2 hours each way.

Gentlemen they are both mighty fine offers but either way it is a big journey and I will have to give it a miss although it would be great to have met and listened to other kit.
I have to put a practicable limit of say 2 hours each way.

Besides Tony, don't you (also) need a pallet and a fork lift to transfer your DAC anyway?:D

I am approaching a point where mine will be portable though, just two more cases required. I also need to make mine both Spdif and USB compatable to be fully comparable with others systems. It'll be a couple of weeks at least to get that all done. I can also make it down to Suffolk if anyone else can where I know there is a completey blameless and ruthlessly revealing set of amps and speakers! Eeek.

More weight to lug around :eek:

IMG_1808_zpsb532f68f.jpg

IMG_1807_zpsbe0e3fa7.jpg

Yes, a bit of a long haul to get to me Tony. I'll have to drop in on you one day when I'm on my way to the Lakes.

Let me know when you're DAC's transportable John & we'll work something out. Don't think Stefan's too far away from you?

Sorry, back on topic!

So the HackerCAP CLCLC now feeds my Salas.
I pulled the rectifiers from the Salas boards, (ouch 8 big short leg Qspeeds now back in the parts bin)
I was in a little conundrum over what to do with the 3300uF rectification reservoir capacitor left in the Salas and decided to try for some more RC as I have lots of headroom from the new transformers at 17volt so I fitted a 1R resistor in place of one rectifier for now. In fact there is so much headroom I could probably fit quite a few ohms.
System warming up right now.

Tony

Crikey what a complete cock-up.

I thought to just try feeding the Salas straight into the Buffalo Avcc terminals, no Trident.
I was not expecting anything really other than a quick comparative test.

So I linked out one of my red Vref LEDs on the Salas and gave it a try, but the voltage was still to high. Actually I should have heard the gentle tinkle of the warning bells but oh no I had to start cobbling.

To this end I linked out my Vref LED series resistor leaving just the trimmer potentiometer in series. Be okay I thought so long as I don't do something stupid and turn it all the way to zero ohm, so I thought.

So Salas all wired up directly to the Avcc terminals, meter in one hand, screw diver in the other and I start winding down, and down, and down...

Click

End of trimmer travel click, Vref Led goes out, voltage sense feedback circuit no open circuit and the Salas does its job and winds the output voltage to the rails.

Eeek

18 volts Avcc, not funny at all.

Big lesson learned, I gotta slow down and think when things don't go to plan. The Salas was shouting 'FETS don't go so low' at me, but oh no I'm to smart to listen. Now whats that old saying about a little knowledge?

The only smart thing I did was have some 3v9 Zeners sitting on the DAC.

So next plan is to feed the Salas at 5v3 directly into the Dual Trident to which I have a question.
Can I just feed into one Trident Vin terminal or do I need to loop to both. They seem to be connected by a bottom board track. Latest Dual Trident by the way.

Sound like you nearly had a fried Sabre? Max on Avcc is around 4V? Good thinking about the Zener....must remember that.....:)

advertisement

Back