advertisement

Rolling Stones finally perform in Havana, Cuba

Still

he said his naim was ralph
murphy_rollingstone_large.jpg

http://www.picturesonwalls.com

I think they should be stoned to death by American blues singers who are on welfare, now that is something I would buy a ticket for.

Bloss

Except that many American blues singers were long forgotten by time the Stones emerged, and subsequently revived their careers and made more money than ever. Those who had proper contracts made big money on royalties. Looks fair to me.

Bloss, I suspect they have helped more black blues artists earn more money than we ever will.

iiuc the term is 'student athlete'.

Except that many American blues singers were long forgotten by time the Stones emerged, and subsequently revived their careers and made more money than ever. Those who had proper contracts made big money on royalties. Looks fair to me.

Teh best musicians always have a background in accountancy &/or contract law.

OK, relatives of American blues singers on welfare

Bloss

Well, Muddy Waters for example was very grateful - see the Wikipedia article on the rolling stones -

"Muddy Waters was quoted as stating that the Rolling Stones and other English bands enhanced the interest of American youth into blues musicians; after they came to the United States, sales of Waters' albums – and those of other blues musicians – increased due to the increase in public interest,[329] assisting to effectively turning the country back onto its own music.[330]"

"Today, 20th May 2015 is the fiftieth anniversary of the day a white British rock n roll band introduced America to one of its own recording legends for the very first time, when The Rolling Stones appeared on ABC’s popular TV show “Shindig!” and opened the door for Howlin’ Wolf’s first mainstream TV appearance.

Can it really be true that the majority of America’s first exposure to the blues on TV was thanks to a rough looking bunch of foreigners?

Music writer Peter Guralnick believes so. He listed it as one of the Top Ten TV moments of all time and as one of the most significant moments in cultural history."

B.B. KIng? Howlin' Wolf? They paid for Hubert Sumlin's funeral ...

So possibly 4, but I believe Muddy had a recording contract in the 50's and had released a lot of singles, while the Stones were still playing at being cowboys and Indians.

Bloss

How about you list the artists (with citations) who say that the Stones ripped them off then? Genuinely interested.

advertisement

Back