1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Rogers Ravensbrook Speakers - Hit or Miss?

Discussion in 'classic' started by Jazzydog, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Jazzydog

Jazzydog pfm Member

Hi,

I just purchased a pair of 3 way Rogers Ravensbrook speakers from a boot sale for the princely sum of £1. SWMBO not too happy but how could I say no?

They claim power handling of 20W and use a circular pin and blade type connector. Cabinet condition is excellent although grilles have a couple of small tears. I have not yet tested them.

I can find little information about these on the web but just saw a pair of Ravensbourne 2 way sell for £51 on a famous auction site.

Any Rogers enthusiasts out there who may be able to tell me more about these? Any info gratefully received.

Probably going to the bay soon so if any collectors are interested, let me know.

Thanks

Andy

2. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles Trade: MGM Audio

I've think I got some info. on this model in a 1975 Hi-Fi Yearbook. I'll look this evening & check out what is in there . M G Miles .

3. Jazzydog

Jazzydog pfm Member

Thanks Martyn,

If not too much trouble, that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

4. Have Fun

Have Fun pfm Member

The Ravensbrook amp was my first amp [around 1970] - I saw a couple go to some collectors a year or two ago & they sold for around £40 IIRC

It would be good to have a set with speakers & the Ravensbourne were the higher model
    IIRC the back panel was a bit thin & flimsy

5. Jazzydog

Jazzydog pfm Member

Have Fun,

Thanks for that. the rear panel is 10mm chipboard painted grey with black spots!! My curiosity got the better of me so I just took one of these apart (loosened the 4 nuts on the rear) which allows the front baffle with drivers and xover to be removed from the front. There are 3 drivers, 1 x 8" woofer (surround has perished) and 2 small tweeters which appear to be parallel connected? - Internal wiring seems to be with the copper equivalent of cotton and the cabinet is damped with rockwool. Claimed freq. resp. from the label is 40Hz to 20KHz.

Cheers

Andy

6. Have Fun

Have Fun pfm Member

mdf wasn't around then & you may find the whole cabinet is veneered chipboard
    maybe ply if you are lucky

just think you could have wasted you money on a lottery ticket

7. Jazzydog

Jazzydog pfm Member

So true - But a lottery ticket won't clutter up my garage! ;-)

8. Martyn Miles

Interestingly, the Ravensbrook speaker is not in my 1974 or 1975 Hi-Fi Yearbook. The Wafer, Ravensbourne Compact & BBC Studio Monitor in the '74, and the Wafer, Wafer System II, Ravensbourne Compact & BBC Studio Monitor are in the '75. Also, for the first time, the LS3/5a at £114.40 per pair (!) inc. VAT. Rogers also listed the BBC Monitor LS3/6 & BBC Monitor LS3/6 Special. These were both cheaper
    than the LS3/5a. Whatever happened to the Ravensbrook speaker I don't know... I hope you get to the bottom of it. Martyn Miles

9. Martyn Miles

By the way, do you know anyone who belongs ( or do you belong ) to the Yahoo Ls35a Group? Brian Pook, formerly of Rogers Developments, sometimes posts there. You could arrange a post on the site re. the Ravensbrook speaker. Brian may well reply... Martyn Miles .

10. Jazzydog

Jazzydog pfm Member

Thanks Martyn for checking and the suggestion to try and contact Brian Pook.

I am amazed about how little info there is available on these. Probably one that Rogers would rether forget! Will post on here if I find out anything interesting.

Thanks all for your input

Andy