advertisement

Rogers Ravensbrook Speakers - Hit or Miss?

Jazzydog

pfm Member
Hi,

I just purchased a pair of 3 way Rogers Ravensbrook speakers from a boot sale for the princely sum of £1. SWMBO not too happy but how could I say no?

They claim power handling of 20W and use a circular pin and blade type connector. Cabinet condition is excellent although grilles have a couple of small tears. I have not yet tested them.

I can find little information about these on the web but just saw a pair of Ravensbourne 2 way sell for £51 on a famous auction site.

Any Rogers enthusiasts out there who may be able to tell me more about these? Any info gratefully received.

Probably going to the bay soon so if any collectors are interested, let me know.

Thanks

Andy

I've think I got some info. on this model in a 1975 Hi-Fi Yearbook. I'll look this evening & check out what is in there . M G Miles .

The Ravensbrook amp was my first amp [around 1970] - I saw a couple go to some collectors a year or two ago & they sold for around £40 IIRC

It would be good to have a set with speakers & the Ravensbourne were the higher model
IIRC the back panel was a bit thin & flimsy

Have Fun,

Thanks for that. the rear panel is 10mm chipboard painted grey with black spots!! My curiosity got the better of me so I just took one of these apart (loosened the 4 nuts on the rear) which allows the front baffle with drivers and xover to be removed from the front. There are 3 drivers, 1 x 8" woofer (surround has perished) and 2 small tweeters which appear to be parallel connected? - Internal wiring seems to be with the copper equivalent of cotton and the cabinet is damped with rockwool. Claimed freq. resp. from the label is 40Hz to 20KHz.

Cheers

Andy

mdf wasn't around then & you may find the whole cabinet is veneered chipboard
maybe ply if you are lucky

just think you could have wasted you money on a lottery ticket

Interestingly, the Ravensbrook speaker is not in my 1974 or 1975 Hi-Fi Yearbook. The Wafer, Ravensbourne Compact & BBC Studio Monitor in the '74, and the Wafer, Wafer System II, Ravensbourne Compact & BBC Studio Monitor are in the '75. Also, for the first time, the LS3/5a at £114.40 per pair (!) inc. VAT. Rogers also listed the BBC Monitor LS3/6 & BBC Monitor LS3/6 Special. These were both cheaper
than the LS3/5a. Whatever happened to the Ravensbrook speaker I don't know... I hope you get to the bottom of it. Martyn Miles

By the way, do you know anyone who belongs ( or do you belong ) to the Yahoo Ls35a Group? Brian Pook, formerly of Rogers Developments, sometimes posts there. You could arrange a post on the site re. the Ravensbrook speaker. Brian may well reply... Martyn Miles .

Thanks Martyn for checking and the suggestion to try and contact Brian Pook.

I am amazed about how little info there is available on these. Probably one that Rogers would rether forget! Will post on here if I find out anything interesting.

Thanks all for your input

Andy

advertisement

Back