advertisement

RIP Lightroom?

They hold you to 50% I think - the greedy old so and sos

Correct on both counts.

In the 'explain your reasons for cancelling' box I just stated my refusal to update my OS to a later version just to use LR Classic. Still, all's done now and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other PP designers will be looking, now more than ever, to poach LR users.

They hold you to 50% I think - the greedy old so and sos

That's terrible - not a good way of treating customers. I've personally got nothing against the subscription model, as long as the price stays reasonable and they don't ditch the 'classic' range of products.

Having said that, I'm happy to see the development on the mobile front. Adobe were seriously falling behind other developers and it's good to have a credible offering from them (although I still prefer Snapseed)

Lefty

That's terrible - not a good way of treating customers. I've personally got nothing against the subscription model, as long as the price stays reasonable and they don't ditch the 'classic' range of products.

Having said that, I'm happy to see the development on the mobile front. Adobe were seriously falling behind other developers and it's good to have a credible offering from them (although I still prefer Snapseed)

Lefty

The problem is this - when you buy a paid for piece of software, the company must develop it and release a new version in a timely manner in order to maintain its revenue streams. With the subscription model the reverse is true, and they are under no pressure at all unless a competitor produces something better...

The problem is this - when you buy a paid for piece of software, the company must develop it and release a new version in a timely manner in order to maintain its revenue streams. With the subscription model the reverse is true, and they are under no pressure at all unless a competitor produces something better...

I understand what you're saying and agree with it. However, I think the reality of the situation is that they are under immense pressure from their competitors. LR and PS are still my favoured desktop editing combination (not least because I rely on number of plugins for some of my workflows). Having said that, if something better came along, I would jump ship without any hesitation.

Lefty

LR can be installed on two similar devices (eg 2 Macs or 2 PCs) but not one of each - as I found to my cost.

I am conflicted here - I have found Adobe support to be brilliant when I have needed help, but moving to CC is not in my life plan. OneOne photo RAW is really catching up and I may just jump ship.

I have Adobe CC on 1 Pc and 1 Mac, no problem.

I'm currently using LR 6 , I was thinking of getting a Nikon D850 after Christmas , does this mean I'll have to get LR classic just to use the D850 RAW files ? I would rather just buy the program instead of paying a monthly subscription .

The Nikon D850 appears to be supported in the new 6.13 update.

Reactions: ron
I am waiting for the full version of Macphun (due out 16th of November) to see what that is like.

Yes. It seems they changed their name. Due out on the 16th. I have been using the Beta version though too many features are missing. Despite this I like the useability and things like the AI Enhancer. From my limited trials the noise reduction was pretty good too.

I have been playing with the Windows beta version (which supports Fuji RAW). The full 2018 version is out this week. Based on the limited beta I have ordered the 2018 version. The main thing it lacks is the cataloging feature that Lightroom is so good at. I'll probably have a more in depth view after I load the full version and get to try a few images.

Last LR6 perpetual (non subscription version) update, probably 6.14 supposedly due next Tuesday 19th December.

Last edited:
What bugs me is the way software companies assume everyone is on a fast connection. I have to work with 3.6Mb download but only 0.18Mb upload, how the heck is cloud based image editing supposed to work for people like me?

This exact thing on this blog here has happened to me. Stupidly I let it upgrade my lightroom 6 catalog and rolling it back from Lightroom Classic Cloud to Lightroom 6 isn't possible, as the catalog is not compatible! I've lost all photo edits, all my collections, photo's that were in book memberships. I right effing mess and I'm absolutly furious about it!

I've used Adobe Lightroom since version 1 and photoshop for even longer. Truth is, I'm simply not shooting that much these days to warrant a monthly subscription anymore so I've binned it.

If you can manage to do a clean install of LR6 (maybe the version you first purchased) Paulicus you can then revert to one of your backed up libraries and it will work, but you will lose all of the incremental updates to LR.

Hi Gav, fortunately, I've got all the licenses for all my Lightroom upgrades going back to version one. The main issue yesterday was Adobe decided to turn my "owned" version of 6 into a trial and put into a restricted version (ie: no develop module) and the program was stuck at Lightroom CC 2015. The crux of the matter is one still has to have an Adobe account whether you want one or not. I signed out and back in again, then went through the rigmarole of entering serial numbers for my paid for upgrades, at which point the program hung on the authenticating screen, so I shut it down and reopened it, and voila, Lightroom 6 is now in the top left of the screen.

Every photo that has been edited is still there but the history has gone completely. It's literally like starting from scratch again, as Lightroom has to build a new catalog. For some unfathomable reason, my backup catalog kept shutting Lightroom down with the error message "Lightroom has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Adobes answer to my furious enquires? Their response was, we'll give you Adobe CC free for 3 months if you stay with us. Ehh, no thanks! So they took £68 out of my bank account to close my contract!

I've enjoyed using Lightroom over the years but I've decided not to renew my CC subscription. I've cancelled it and it runs out next week. Capture One Pro has always been my preferred raw software but I'd not been using it the past couple of years because it was too buggy and demanding on hardware. After trialling the new v11 I've been really impressed with it. At close to £300 I was still not going to jump ship from Lr but then found out Phase One had extended their upgrade discount for v9 and v10 owners to also include v8 owners (until 30 December). A decent deal for £150. Happy to be back with Capture One for now.

Has anyone had any experience with DxO Photolab product? I am trialing it right now and it appears pretty good, but have not used LR recently to compare.

I need a tool with good noise reduction.

advertisement

Back