advertisement

Right-angle 4mm Banana Plugs

Vinny

pfm Member
Anyone know of a UK source for good quality ones?

Most seem to be grub screw fitting (although you could solder them), with no strain relief and all that I have found have attracted a lot of negative comment in reviews. Some even have metal sleeves (such as ones sold as Nakamichi), which will short if they swivel and touch.

These (both links to the same plugs) look to be very good, but can I find a UK supplier..... I can't even find them in a Belden catalogue (who appear to be the manufacturer).

http://www.broadbandutopia.com/rianbatip.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...ies-how-make-your-own-high-end-cables-16.html

That was my thought too, but Belkin don't seem to sell/manufacture anything similar, whereas Belden do (as part of Hirschman), but I stand to be corrected.......

Will Naim plugs work for you? They solder on at 90 degrees to the cable - no need to use the plastic body if you need a different plug spacing. Obviously no strain relief mind!

Thanks - I am (almost) ashamed to say that I was unaware of the Naim system........
Having done a search - a good second-best as at least they can't rotate and short, and are meant to be soldered.
There are Y shrink sleeves, there may be L ones that would improve things and if glue-lined, would act as strain relief.

Do let us know if you find the Belden plugs - I've got a(nother) set of cables to make up for the Hawks at some point, and space is at a premium between the module and bass unit.

You could always try asking Broadband Utopia to ship them :)

I have mailed the UK Hirschman distributor to ask what they are and if available here - watch this space.

Please - anyone else with suggestions, suggest-away as I ain't got the ideal solution yet......

Thanks - I am (almost) ashamed to say that I was unaware of the Naim system........
Having done a search - a good second-best as at least they can't rotate and short, and are meant to be soldered.
There are Y shrink sleeves, there may be L ones that would improve things and if glue-lined, would act as strain relief.
Naim supply these plugs with their amps, but you can also buy them separately. The black plastic covers space the plugs so that they will fit into the sockets on a Naim amp, but leaving them off, and using heat shrink to cover the joint, works fine. It doesn't look very pretty, but presumably they'll be hidden from view.
The plugs are nickel plated to match Naim sockets, but if you have gold plated sockets, possibly better to source gold plated plugs.

Problem with the Naim plugs is that the contact part is from Deltron, and that spring-wire tensioner gets worse over time.

Problem with the Naim plugs is that the contact part is from Deltron, and that spring-wire tensioner gets worse over time.

It does, but only with use. If you just fit them they are fine (as are the Deltron) but if you unplug them a lot they do give up the ghost.

They are available via numerous UK sources, but are grub-screw type with no strain relief and if you find reviews, they aren't great. (Being unnecessarily nit-picky, they aren't right-angle either :) )

As for the "Belden" plugs - the UK agent does not recognise them and has no near equivalent.

I will try to get more information from the US about the ones on the links...................... do not hold your breath....

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
They are available in the UK - they are a very odd (cheap) design and to me do not look to be very robust - the pin is a coiled shim that acts as the spring in the contact as well as the pin itself. They are also another grub screw type (that could be soldered).
There are few reviews that I can find, and they are mixed.

Why not produce these with insulated sleeves? In fact, why have aluminium sleeves at all as they serve no purpose but "decoration", and inflation of the price (and extending the length of the plug, so that they could short at terminals placed further apart).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HJ52AGU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I would tend to agree, I have had plugs with this type of pin design in the past and they have bent!

advertisement

Back