advertisement

Rick Stein’s Road to Mexico

Gerard124

pfm Member
Any fishes watching Rick Stein's Road to Mexico?

I really like Rick's down to earth style - thankfully, he is not going all sultry on us and cooking 'emergency'' chocolate brownies in a kimono in Knightsbridge! - FFS.

Some great scenery, restaurants/eateries, food and characters along the way so far.

I saw last night's episode and enjoyed it. Stein comes across as a good bloke to have a beer with.

Regarding other TV cookery programmes, I'm still trying to work out why failed restauranteur, and fruit and veg man, Greg Wallace appears on Masterchef. All he ever does is paraphrase what the other two say.

I enjoy his programmes - a clever cross between travel documentary and cookery show. His recipes work very well. His recommendations of restaurants are frequently spot on - we ate at all his recommendations in Berlin and they were great.

Any fishes watching Rick Stein's Road to Mexico?

I really like Rick's down to earth style - thankfully, he is not going all sultry on us and cooking 'emergency'' chocolate brownies in a kimono in Knightsbridge! - FFS.

Some great scenery, restaurants/eateries, food and characters along the way so far.

Good agent? although he is apparently (according to friends that know him) very knowledgeable about fruit and veg.

I saw last night's episode and enjoyed it. Stein comes across as a good bloke to have a beer with.

Regarding other TV cookery programmes, I'm still trying to work out why failed restauranteur, and fruit and veg man, Greg Wallace appears on Masterchef. All he ever does is paraphrase what the other two say.

Good agent? although he is apparently (according to friends that know him) very knowledgeable about fruit and veg.

I first came across him on a Radio 4 fruit and veg programme on Friday afternoons - he was shouting back then and hasn't stopped.

Sorry for moving the thread in a rather OT direction.

Yup; watched Ep.1 and 2, just got to watch No.3 tonight :)

Always really liked him, very personable and very much a good cook, not just a chef

I was disappointed by his restaurant in Padstow but liked the programme on Mexico last night.

Just ordered the Mexico book for a tenner delivered from Amazon.

Page 268 has a 'recipe' for Margaritas, now that's my kind of cook book!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was disappointed by his restaurant in Padstow but liked the programme on Mexico last night.

the restaurant was adequate, although I did enjoy some take away from his fish'n'chip shop - the lightly dusted and pan fried mackerel was a joy and the chips fantastic. In Padstow I preferred the cooking at Paul Ainsworth

There are loads of decent fish restaurants around there, but IMO for fine dining in Cornwall few can better Nathan Outlaw's restaurant in Port Isaac

Just ordered the Mexico book for a tenner delivered from Amazon.

Page 268 has a 'recipe' for Margaritas, now that's my kind of cook book!

:) that is a good price - just ordered. His Indian book is one of my most used cookbooks..

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yup; watched Ep.1 and 2, just got to watch No.3 tonight :)

Episode 3 well worth watching (IMHO) - Caesar salad, Margaritas, fresh fish landed marinated and cooked on the Beach, the Valle de Guadalupe for wines, slow cooked lamb for breakfast!!! and Baja Med cuisine.

Never been to his restaurant but had a take away fish and chips at Falmouth, the chips were OK but the fish (cod) was exceptional.

I did enjoy his series from India, I didn't realise this Mexico one was on so will have to catch up

Rick Stein's cafe (hard to call it a restaurant) in Winchester is very uninspiring as well. And I have heard indifferent reports of his Padstow place. Leaving aside his restaurants and his likely only-superficial interest in them these days, I find his cookintravellogs very enjoyable. And has been noted above his recipes work, just as St Delia's do. There are some other noted cooks who could apsire to such levels. And there are a few over-lauded one-trick ponies.

Greg Wallace; one of the most pointless people on the whole planet.

Rick is very watchable, the only thing that annoys me is the was he puts food in his mouth chews it twice, swallows it and then talks.

Pete

I'm a big enthusiast of Mexican cooking, so I'll need to check out the new series and the recipe book. Thanks for alerting me to it!

I can recommend "Mexican Food Made Simple" by Thomasina Miers if anyone wants a decent book on Mexican food.

If you are located in Scotland the Lupe Pintos shops in Edinburgh and Glasgow are great places to buy Mexican ingredients and they have written some very good recipe books which are available in-store.

Leaving aside his restaurants and his likely only-superficial interest in them these days.....

I seem to remember reading that he lives in Australia now.

I thoroughly enjoy his programmes, though haven't seen any if this new series. He seems very personable.

I thought he looked rather unwell last night and as already stated his two chews and swallow technique, whatever he eats is something he has always done and makes me think he must have dreadful indigestion!

I was also pleased that he has dropped the “that’s the best..... I’ve ever eaten” response that used to follow every thing he ever ate.

advertisement

Back