advertisement

Richard Strauss Four Last Songs

And they are difficult to pull off successfully. We have so many technically great recordings of them, not least the recording you link to, you can get lulled into a false sense of security, and in the wrong hands, live.....

That Jessye Norman recording was the first CD I ever bought.

Wonderful voice that could pin you to the wall when needed.

Can be disappointing live. But then again, so can much music. The 4 last songs spoil you with recordings which is sad in a way.

Maybe we should have a thread about pieces so perfectly nailed in recording, that they're usually a bit of a let-down in reality.

I think the last of the songs ranks as one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

My favourite recording Karita Mattila's with Abbado and the Berlin Phiharmoniker

Can be disappointing live. But then again, so can much music. The 4 last songs spoil you with recordings which is sad in a way.

Maybe we should have a thread about pieces so perfectly nailed in recording, that they're usually a bit of a let-down in reality.

As a veteran of 30 odd years of live performances by the choral society of a large midlands town I can say that even when the performance is quite poor the live event often overcomes the shortcomings and an enjoyable evening can often (not always) be had. The same does not apply to broadcast concerts, a poor performance is a poor performance and I often switch to a good recording rather than endure the whole of a bad broadcast.

That one on vinyl here. She nailed it IMO, I can't imagine needing any other version.

I have that recording as well, but still prefer the one I linked to earlier (Jessye Norman), but its all down to personal taste. Nowadays I do like to listen to different versions of most things, as you often appreciate different aspects in different performances. That's what Spotify is for I think......

I need to hear the Jessye Norman recording, I don't think I've heard it (Four Last Songs is something I'd tend to spin if it landed in the shop).

I think I have more versions of this piece of music than anything else. My favourite has to be Gundula Janowitz with Karajan.

I think I have more versions of this piece of music than anything else. My favourite has to be Gundula Janowitz with Karajan.

Got that one too. But I find the tempo in "Im Abendrot" to be too fast for my taste:

Masur/Norman: 9:54
Szell/Schwarzkopf: 8:20
Karajan/Janowitz: 7:04

Jessye and Schwarzkopf are my #1 and 2. A few linked to here that I need to check out. Gundula Janowitz doesn't do it for me but she has a wonderful voice.

The first time I heard the Norman recording I was hooked.

I've grown up with these recordings. Norman is opulent but I find the orchestral accompaniment fairly pedestrian.Schwarzkopf is an all time classic but I find her too cool and mannered, though I love Szell in anything. The Janowitz just seems so right. Her voice blends so naturally and beautifully folding into the orchestra and her interpretation is heartfelt and unfussy. The conductor and singer appear perfectly in sync.

advertisement

Back