advertisement

Revolution in Saudi Arabia

ariegur

pfm Member
Young men are running Saudi Arabia now and they are changing the country.
The two big signs are the new law that makes it possible to women drive and now the arrest of the seniors who are suspected in corruption.
Those who know Saudi Arabia are claiming that it changes right in front of our eyes. Interesting to follow what will be the path of this movement.

Arye

Really? Cnn has it that, given Saudi is a tribal society, this has more to do with a new branch consolidating their power. No sign of them pulling out of Yemen, or changing their policy towards Iran.

no, this is just internal shuffling of the pack of inheritance to consolidate the power of the Salman line, by both King Salman and tone crown prince.

The BBC report I saw last night came to the same conclusions, Arye.
Certainly one to watch, and an intriguing co-incidence regarding that ballistic missile incident.

Does it really matter which mediaeval repressive religious extremist nut-job misogynistic oligarchical set of arseholes run the place?

Does it really matter which mediaeval repressive religious extremist nut-job misogynistic oligarchical set of arseholes run the place?

Was this post intended for 'The forthcoming demise of the Conservative minority government' thread?

I think regardless of views of Saudi Arabia's culture it is fantastic to see some progression and big steps towards proper women's rights.

and yet this appalling state has the same GDP per capita and GINI coefficient as the USA along with massively lower crime levels.

I thought the US was the world's greatest democracy?

and yet this appalling state has the same GDP per capita and GINI coefficient as the USA along with massively lower crime levels.

I thought the US was the world's greatest democracy?

Saudi Arabia is more feudal but in a way more redistributive than the US, so I'm not too surprised that both countries would end up in roughly similar parts of the GINI table.

Looks much like a consolidation of one family's power.

Good or bad thing ?
Time will tell.

Coincidence after Houthis sent a missile to Riyadh and the Lebanese PM announced he was retiring in Riyadh .....

Saudi Arabia is more feudal but in a way more redistributive than the US, so I'm not too surprised that both countries would end up in roughly similar parts of the GINI table.

Indeed. The shocking stats however for me are the vastly lower levels of crime, particularly of violent crime and drug abuse.

We are talking about levels often less than 5% of those in the USA despite a similar level of capital punishment and of wealth distribution.

Taken as a whole, the Saudi stats are on a par with those of Israel whereas the "World's Greatest Democracy and the land of the free and home of the brave ranks far worse when it comes to both violent crime and gun crime - indeed pretty much all crime.

Either the American public are "Very bad. Very very bad" or their society is ****ed up by its ideals.

Indeed. The shocking stats however for me are the vastly lower levels of crime, particularly of violent crime and drug abuse.

We are talking about levels often less than 5% of those in the USA despite a similar level of capital punishment and of wealth distribution.

Taken as a whole, the Saudi stats are on a par with those of Israel whereas the "World's Greatest Democracy and the land of the free and home of the brave ranks far worse when it comes to both violent crime and gun crime - indeed pretty much all crime.

Either the American public are "Very bad. Very very bad" or their society is ****ed up by its ideals.

ISTM that many 'Mericuns want all the freedoms with none of the responsibilities.

Not up to your usual thoughtful quality.
Yes it really matters. To the women who can drive in 6 months. To the people who will go to the cinemas.
To those who will have jobs in the infrastructure investments.
To those who listen to words "Saudi Arabia will be a moderate Islamic country".
Of course it all depends on how it pans out but hopeful signs and certainly better than the opposite.

Saudi Arabia and the USA are messed up in quite different ways. (If I had a choice of where to live, I'd still pick the US, by a long way.)

Anyway, let's see what the new man in charge can achieve in Saudi Arabia. Based on previous form, I'm not very optimistic.

Saudi Arabia and the USA are messed up in quite different ways. (If I had a choice of where to live, I'd still pick the US, by a long way.)

Anyway, let's see what the new man in charge can achieve in Saudi Arabia. Based on previous form, I'm not very optimistic.

I agree they are both very messed up places and I am not hugely optimistic about change in USA or KSA. Having been to both, but to KSA many, many more times and if I had to choose where to live, depending on the city (Jeddah or Dammam) I would choose KSA.

advertisement

Back