advertisement

Reviewer : Michael Fremer

Michael Fremer strikes me as an opinionated, slightly abrasive character (he's been in some pretty ugly feuds over the years). But he's been relentless in his defence of good audio in general, and analog in particular, and his reviews of the few components I know well have always seemed just about bang on. I'm sure he has his biases (who doesn't?) but he does appear to have a good pair of ears and the knack of expressing his views in a way I can understand.

Agree. Personally, I enjoy reading his words and watching him articulate his views. Our hobby is very insular and not exactly well trumpeted outside our little world - so having someone well known and mainly respected is a good thing.
We'd all miss him if he ever stopped ! Whether we liked him or not......

The latest (for me) issue of Stereophile had an excellent article by Fremer on SME and a fascinating history of an LP I'd never heard of (Nigel Lived by Murray Head). Worth the sub price just for those two things.

Don't care too much for his hi-fi beliefs or his personality, but his record collection is fantastic and worth putting up with for that alone.

I used to have a lot of respect for Fremer, until I read his comments in the talkback from the following article. Having a fondness for Vinyl, and then treating it as an undebateable superior format in a similar way religious fundamentalists act towards their faith, rather put me off him. Unnecessarily rude & condescending, whatever one’s views on each format & the article itself:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/07/the-inconvenient-truth-about-vinyl/

This is my point exactly. If one reads enough of his writings, one would realize that he is anti-digital to an extreme. Nothing wrong with that, it's his preference. He's definitely one of the better and more colorful of audio personalities out there but his views and priorities in sound reproduction are not the same as mine. For example, he loves most of the audiophile reissues, I abhor them. (Note: I am not anti-analog/vinyl; in fact I love records and have llots).

I may be wrong, but after watching a good number of his videos I think I get his humour and I suspect some of the more extreme stuff on forums, blogs etc is rather tongue in cheek/overstated exasperation. He is a evangelical analogue freak though, of that there is no doubt. I also suspect he bases a lot of it on becoming totally acclimatised to a level of analogue replay that the vast majority of people (myself included) will never hear as it is just so stratospherically expensive. His turntable is worth far more than my house!

Why is there no "Praise Audio" or "Lord's HiFi" ?

Even more appropriate might be a "Jeeezus Audio Accessories" brand.

Anybody know where I might find a power source box for a connoisseur BD 103 turntable. I can't find mine. Had it packed away years ago and wanted to revisit some pleasant memories of listening to that turntable. Got another question can anyone tell me what kind of tonearm is on my table? Here is a pic:
new here, having trouble posting pic. Sorry

I used to have a lot of respect for Fremer, until I read his comments in the talkback from the following article. Having a fondness for Vinyl, and then treating it as an undebateable superior format in a similar way religious fundamentalists act towards their faith, rather put me off him. Unnecessarily rude & condescending, whatever one’s views on each format & the article itself:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/07/the-inconvenient-truth-about-vinyl/

Hey I've read those comments.
The guy is my hero!

Anybody know where I might find a power source box for a connoisseur BD 103 turntable. I can't find mine. Had it packed away years ago and wanted to revisit some pleasant memories of listening to that turntable. Got another question can anyone tell me what kind of tonearm is on my table? Here is a pic:
new here, having trouble posting pic. Sorry
Best to start a new thread in the 'Classic' section.

Photos need to be hosted elsewhere and then linked in your post inside 'img' tags, I think there's a button you can press above the reply window to make it easy.

Paul

Ok,
Unless he speaks about cables and power conditioners, he's a good man trying to stay in business.

Enjoyed the opening video of Fremer. He is entertaining and informative. I need to track down somebody who will lend me a pair of Tara lab 2 hose cables indefinitely.

Fremer's guitar playing and singing are completely crap though, even as a pastiche.

Art Dudley on the other hand seems like a genuinely good guitar player. This makes me immediately biased. I am more likely to trust his opinions than the ones cackled by the bad singer.

Jack

advertisement

Back