advertisement

Requirements for making a short film with DSLR.

eternumviti

Insufficient privileges to reply.
I need to make a short on-location film to promote the next phase of my Somme project. There is no 'budget', it will be me and my camera. I will need to produce some smooth panning shots of the Somme countryside, and the sound will need to be of good quality and completely free of that awful distorted wind noise that you so often get with phone/DSLR films, which I hate. The only sound that I want is that of skylarks and the wind rustling in the grass!

I have a Nikon D7000 DSLR, probably to be replaced/augmented by a newer D7200, and an inexpensive but very solid tripod from Redsnapper. I will presumably need a decent microphone, and a head for the tripod that will facilitate smooth panning. I found a company this morning that makes electronic, remote-control tripod heads that are only around £100, but I don't know if they will be compatible with the Redsnapper - I have forgotten the name of the maker, but will add it when I get home.

The other aspect of course is a reasonable but inexpensive editing suite.

Any thoughts from the pfm technicians?

You probably do not need to use the sound recorded by the camera so try recording with a smart phone and transfer the sound to the computer and play back through a decent system. Then after you have edited the film add in the sound. It might be easier to make the picture fit the sound track.

Sounds like an interesting project.
Good luck.

Another thought - is there a need to have a lot of movie in the film - still shots can be added into a film where the sound conveys the message.

This is one I did earlier where the sound was the key message and the pictures used to fill in the empty screen.

Derek, I'm a flat earther. LP12, and I don't own a smartphone.

It is an issue though - I would need to use speech and probably music, and yes, there will be a combination of stills and moving footage. I will want the location soundtrack to contunue over the stills. I don't imagine for one second that the audio and video on a dslr are distinct from one another.

Just looking at editing suites. Lightworks?

I have a Manfrotto head which turns on a bearing very smoothly - might be a cheaper option or borrow it if you wish.

Re sounds, does your camera take an external mic? If so just get a mic with a big hairy cover on it!

You’ll ideally have a fluid head specifically for video. Decent ones can be had reasonably cheaply now, it will make all the difference.

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/93701...02am-aluminium-tripod-with-mvh500a-fluid-head

Sound wise, consider a mic like the RODE Videomic. One with a furry cover (sometimes referred to as a deadcat) will help with wind noise; the RODE also has a low filter to remove rumble from wind.

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/91010020M/winter-sale-video-deals/rode/rode-video-mic-pro-r

There are lots of free sound effects sites too, so you could add ambient sound in the edit. Most sounds like this are added afterwards.

Light works is an excellent editor. Learning curve is steep though. If you’re pc based, Resolve is top class, free, but also a bit of a steep curve.

Mac based - Either of the above, or iMovie is surprisingly capable. FCPX is superb but £s.

If you’re getting hardware for editing, I have to say it takes a helluva lot to beat a 27" iMac with a big fusion drive for vfm. It will also be worth something in 2 or 3 years time if you sell at the end of the project. Use iMovie or FCPX. Buy from the Apple store but get a refurbished one to save £.

Thanks rugdoc, your kind offer is much appreciated.

Jason, thanks too. I had actually been looking at the Park site before I went to bed last night, and specifically the manfrotto heads that rug doc mentioned. As with all of these things, the choice becomes bewildering when you begin to look into it. For example, do the Manfrotto heads fit onto my redsnapper tripod. The D7200 has stereo microphones, so should I get a stereo mic, or doesn't it matter. I notice that the one you linked to is ultra-directional, whereas I would also want to record ambient noise - wind in grass and leaves, and birdsong - whilst the camera is panning. However, I will also want to speak to camera.

Hi,

Any head should fit onto any tripod as the mounting thread should be 1/4" Whitworth. It's only when you move onto professional broadcast gear do the mounting plates change type and size. I've used Manfrotto heads on Benobo tripods, Benbo heads on Gitzo tripods and my Gitzo head on a Manfrotto tripod.

As for microphones, for pieces to camera or voice overs record in mono, stereo is only required for background or effects to expand the soundstage. If doing interviews, and you really want to do it, record the interviewee and interviewer separately, don't forget some "noddies" and then pan the two audio tracks to left/right to make a "stereo" soundscape.

Watch some good quality documentaries and listen to how the audio is used in them for ideas of what works well.

Ian

If you want to do pieces to camera, you may find even a directional mic like the Rode too wide. A lavalier or tie-clip mic can be really useful here. A cheap one with a long lead will do the job, but you can get some good radio mics now for not a lot... I have this one and I’m very impressed for the money:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CI2T9OA/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back