advertisement

Replacement Stylus for AT-150MLX

Lefty

Trade: Amar Sood Photo
Greetings! Long time since I've posted in the audio room so please be gentle :)

I recently found (to my surprise) an AT-150MLX in a drawer. I excitedly mounted it to my TT (a Linn Axis) only to find it's wrecked :( (Lots of static / crackles and sounds like it's playing under water) My guess is the stylus is wrecked as the body looks mint and was stored properly in its box. As a result, I'm on the lookout for a replacement stylus. A quick google reveals that the 150MLX stylus is no longer available. What are my options?

I have a budget of £150 and the goal is to improve on the 2M Blue that I previously had mounted. I am open to other carts (although would prefer a stylus for the AT).

Lefty

Have you had a good close look at the tip? I ask as a good caking of gunk can sound just as you describe, whereas wear seldom does. I’d certainly try giving it a good and fairly aggressive clean, i.e. use some fluid/spirit before conceding it is junk.

There is a new version of the stylus, the 150SA, it has a Shibata tip rather than micro-line. Why I don’t know! I thinka fair number of other AT styli will fit too, 440 etc, their bodies are pretty standard.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks for the advice Tony - unfortunately a look at the stylus using a macro lens has confirmed the worst. They stylus is no more :( I must have had a wooly jumper moment in the past which I have forgotten about!

Thanks for the tip on the SA stylus. Looks like it could be a good option. Is the 440MLA no longer around? I can't seem to find styli for these which (IIRC) uses the same tip as the MLX. It hasn't been that long since I was in The game but a quick look around has left me in shock at some of the prices! How much is a DV10x5 these days!? It's a good cart but not £500 good I'd suggest!

Lefty

Greetings! Long time since I've posted in the audio room so please be gentle :)

I recently found (to my surprise) an AT-150MLX in a drawer. I excitedly mounted it to my TT (a Linn Axis) only to find it's wrecked :( (Lots of static / crackles and sounds like it's playing under water) My guess is the stylus is wrecked as the body looks mint and was stored properly in its box. As a result, I'm on the lookout for a replacement stylus. A quick google reveals that the 150MLX stylus is no longer available. What are my options?

I have a budget of £150 and the goal is to improve on the 2M Blue that I previously had mounted. I am open to other carts (although would prefer a stylus for the AT).

Lefty

Found it here
https://www.thakker.eu/en/needles/a...-stylus-for-at-150-mlx-genuine-stylus/a-6118/
But very expensive

Cartridge prices seem to have grown disproportionately to match the "vinyl revival"

I think it is more to match the Brexit £ to be honest. I bet the exchange rates between UK and Japan track the change. Also explains why certain vintage audio the Japanese love, e.g. LS3/5As, vintage Tannoys etc are very high at present. I woud like to try a Nagaoka MP500 but they are about £700 now!

advertisement

Back