advertisement

removing Arcam 5 mods

I guess is on the crystal. The Marantz has the crystal directly into the SAA7220.

If it is on the crystal, I suggest that you build a Kwak Clock and take the output of that clock directly to the SAA7220 input pin.

The SAA7220 is a digital oversampling filter. It is known to pollute the power bus, so If you can, I'd get this on it's own regulator (may already be on the Arcam.)

The three bits of the chipset are

SAA7210/SAA7310 servo controller.
SAA7220 digital filter/ oversampler (also provides digital out)
TDA1541 D/A converter.

Many of the functions normally provided by the SAA7220 (clock processing, mute) can also be provided by the servo controller, so if you are determined to get rid of oversampling then it is possible to whip out the entire chip, but you will need to install patch wires through to the relevent pins of the servo controller.

After allowing my latest mod to run in, Rubycon coupling caps, I detected very harsh treble on some cd's through the Isobariks.

John, what value/type did you select for the coupling caps?

hi Rusty,
I have kept the value the same as the original 16v 100uf. I have been told to try 63v1uf evox smr caps here.

The oversampling mod is changing today to Rons way(as above).
I'll post findings.

dogrun.gif

hi,
After some very good advice from Ron I have rearranged the non oversampling mod and done it his way.
The previous cd's that were pretty unlistenable, and which caused me to undo the 4 to 9 mod, are now very listenable with both mods redone.
Great advice Ron. Thanks

EDIT:

On further listening to my other cd's music is flowing freely, a vast improvement on non oversampling mk. 1

I'll let Jake chase a cat to celebrate.
dc.gif

How careful do you have to be with these big chips? Is it necessary to heatsink the pins ?

..is reclocking the data to reduce jitter. On my Marantz, there is a transistor locked onto the clock to do the same thing.

EDIT: I'm not sure that it is now.

hi Rusty,
I'm just a relative novice at modding but I'm always willing to have a go and grab the chip by the horns!
I lifted the pins out one at a time with tweezers(my girlfriends but don't mention it) while touching the solder joint with a small iron.
Everything is sounding great so if you are careful it should be ok.
For the oversampling mod I only lifted 6 pins.

dogrun.gif

advertisement

Back