advertisement

Rega RP10 or wait for the replacement?

Balance

Well as I've said in a previous post, I will be putting together a system again.

I have the Exposure 3010s2
I have the Apollo 35th CDP
I will be getting PMC 25.xx speakers
I will be soon ordering all Van Damme cabling

Last on my list is the Vinyl rig...

I want the RP10 w/Apheta2 into the Aria... should I wait for the Planar 10 replacement as they did with the Planar 6? Can anyone guess how long I would have to wait still? I could get a used P3 while I wait if not too long.

Has Rega engineered anything on the Planar 6 that could be a major re-engineer for the Planar 6?

-Dave

IMO I would just buy the Rp10/Apheta 2 now instead of waiting. It’s a fantastic turntable and you will very happy with it for years to come. I’m sure Rega will tweak the Rp10 but will it be enough for any of us to really hear a difference? Maybe, but it won’t be enough for me to now look and listen to my Rp10 and say I don’t like the sound of mine anymore. It would just allow me to say I have the newest model.
Good luck with your decision, either way I’m excited for you!

You won’t be disappointed, it’s an awesome combo especially if your also adding the Aria! All you need now is to hook it all up with Rega’s interconnects:). Somebody is going to have incredible Christmas! You must have been good this year!
Looking forward to some photos and your opinion once it’s all set up.
Cheers Dave

I’m excited! It’ll be March when we move in to our new home which will allow me set up. Just doing the research and just ordered Van Damme speaker wire from Mark Grant. As far as interconnects right now I have a couple of LFD sets I’ll be using. Great stuff!

I will def post pics.

I don’t thinking anyone knows when Rega would replace the RP10. The product lifecycle for their top-of-the-line turntables tends to be longer than their lower-end models.

They still haven’t released the Naiad.

An RP10 would be fine and dandy. Go for it.

Andrew

Hi!
Also considering the RP10, would it be unwise to buy one at this moment? Should I instead wait to see if a replacement for the 10 will be released?
I really like the aesthetics of the 10, but not so much the one of the newly released 8.
I think I would be very satisfied with the current 10, but recon the new version would have some upgrades..
regards
/Joakim

I still enjoy my P9 with rewired RB1000. You can't go wrong with top Rega decks anytime. Of course, I overfill my bearing for ultimate speed stability!

Only you can make that call. I like my RP10 because you can listen with the lid on or change up the look and listen in the skeleton form. The high gloss black with the white platter really catches my eye.
Good luck with your decision!

Would be hard to imagine the P8 being the lone model without the outer plinth/ traditional dust cover. Although, the P7 was the only table with the unusual platter, right?

A year has passed since the first post and the RP10 replacement still hasn't appeared, I hope he isn't still waiting.

My guess is it'll be exactly like the Planar 8 except for the platter, arm, and controller.

OP here...

I ended up purchasing the RP10 with Apheta2 and Rega Aria Phonostage just this past summer. I purchased this with the intent of replacing it with Planar 10 when released but I suspect it might not get much better than this sound wise, but who knows? I’m definitely not missing anything. I too like the current RP10’s dustcover design. I listen exclusively with the cover down and love that it’s completely iscolated from the whole turntable plinth, platter and arm. A design that I won’t easily give up. Can’t wait to see what they do with the Planar 10.

If I purchased the Planar 8, I would also get myself a separate dust cover for when not in use. Pleased to read you're happy with your RP10 purchase Balance.

Hi All,
I am also seriously contemplating purchasing a Rega RP10, ideally an ex-demo model fitted with either the Apheta 2 or Aphelion although I have heard other RP10 Owners have great success with other cartridges. I have already bought the Rega wall shelf and turntable foot adapters for mounting an RP10 or RP 8.

I also have the dilemma though whether to wait for the new P10 to come out (assuming it will around six months time) instead of buying the RP10 although I don't like the new look of the P8, so if the P10 looks similar then I would rather have the RP10 even if it does sound a bit bettter (can't imagine there being huge sonic improvements as that was done with the RP10).

Another dilemma is what cartridge I will use with an RP10 i.e. Rega's Apheta 2 or Aphelion or another make.

The last dilemma I have is what phono stage to use with the RP10. Logical step is to use an Rega Aria, the older reference Ios or the new Aura phono stage for system synergy and matching. However I have a Chord Electronics Choral system so for again system synergy and appearance the Chord Electronics Symphonic would be the logical choice. I would also like fully balanced from cartridge to phono stage to pre-amp like my current Choral set-up. This would tick the boxes for the Symphonic but not for the Rega phono stages and I would also need to re-wire the RB2000 tonearm (ideally by Rega) with twin XLR's for the Chord Symphonic or any other fully balanced Phono Stage. There is also hardly any reviews on the Chord Symphonic but plenty for the Rega Phono Stages. I have also considered the Pro-ject Phono Stage Phone Box RS with matching separate power supply which has had good reviews and is also fully balanced.
Guess I need to do some serious auditions first at a Hi-Fi dealer and then at home before I make the decision on the phono stage.

Any help from Members who have experience on the products I mention above would be most helpful.

Hi Bonesy Jonesy,

For clarification, there is an all new wall shelf for the Planar 8 and Planar 10 given their reduced footprint over RP8 and RP10 and the older shelf is not compatible if that helps your decision making process.

PD

advertisement

Back