advertisement

Rega RP1 motor vibration

ansis,

Given that we have built and sold over 60,000 RP1 worldwide, even with out tiny failure rate there are going to be a couple more than 2 that have experienced problems.

PD

I get this with our project debut 3 with the lid on and down. Definitely mechanically audible and adds to tracking noise in quiet parts of the music. I just put it down to it being a budget deck and generally play with the lid off as you do, which pretty much sorts it.

Given that we have built and sold over 60,000 RP1 worldwide, even with out tiny failure rate there are going to be a couple more than 2 that have experienced problems.

Paul, please don't get me wrong, it wasn't meant as offence because I like Rega and your excellent service very much.

If it's the 240V synchronous motor driven directly by mains with just a phase shift cap then some vibration is absolutely inevitable. Chances are that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I've tried a few drops of oil onto the motor spindle and seem to make a tiny improvement.

The hum can be heard when listening towards the loud volume setting on my amp when the stylus in resting on a stationary record, when the belt is obviously removed.

Since this motor can't be fine tuned electronically then it is pot luck if you get a good one, I've read some are even worse then mine. I've checked the part number for my motor and this an ordinary sychronous motor not specifically designed for turntable use and is generally used on budget turntables, not sure why RP1 uses this as I wouldn't call £298 a budget priced model. So overall I'm disappointed to learn there's nothing can be done about it as this is normal.

That is extremely reasonable as the cost of the motor on its own (without PCB or fitting) is more than that from RS Components.

Not really since this is not for the RP1 but for more expensive models. It is more expensive because on the datasheet for this it says it is specifcally designed for turntable use, whereas the motor on the RP1 is just a general sychronous motor.

Holding a VPI motor is like holding a pneumatic drill.

Probably why they have to mount them off board.

I feel that, compared to some other manufacturers, Rega's replacement parts are very reasonably priced. Having been there and done that, I'd just pull the thistles out of my pocket and spend the 52 folders on a new motor.

If you can't afford to pull too many thistles, consider casting about for a used motor. A dealer might have one. Put a wanted ad on here, perhaps?

not sure why RP1 uses this as I wouldn't call £298 a budget priced model. So overall I'm disappointed to learn there's nothing can be done about it as this is normal.

So then what is budget deck by your standarts? £100 plastic Crosley? Or £200 plastic Pioneer/Marantz made by Hanpin?

The RP1 complete with Carbon cartridge is £230.

If you want to hear a noisy motor, there are other budget turntable makes which are far noisier.

The OP should take it to his nearest Rega stockist for a check.

Not really since this is not for the RP1 but for more expensive models. It is more expensive because on the datasheet for this it says it is specifcally designed for turntable use, whereas the motor on the RP1 is just a general sychronous motor.

I think there may be some confusion. As far as I am aware Rega use the same motor throughout their range of decks. The older version you have is essentially the same as the AC one that Linn (and others) still use (and can be bought from suppliers like RS Components). The idea of what constitutes 'budget' is very much dependant on the individual but, within the context of turntables as a whole, £230.00 (with tone-arm and cartridge) is very much at the low end.

-------

This is the motor in question (it's the same one whether is says it is for turntable use or not):

F4410423-01.jpg

RS sell it for £73.44 http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...|prd|4410423&gclid=CIO70OTX1M0CFdQaGwod4PMFjQ

Rega will not only sell it for some £20 less but also with a drive pulley, circuit board and fitting! How is that not a good deal?

I completely appreciate that not having a car makes life difficult but that's not really Regas fault - is it?

Rega will not only sell it for some £20 less but also with a drive pulley, circuit board and fitting! How is that not a good deal?

That was exactly my thought with my customer when I found RS prices. Thankfully local Rega dealer is generous enough that he even allowed interconnect modification without breaking warranty (I know Rega don't like mods, but all was within specs, just Klotz AC110 with cheap Neutriks).

I think there may be some confusion. As far as I am aware Rega use the same motor throughout their range of decks. The older version you have is essentially the same as the AC one that Linn (and others) still use (and can be bought from suppliers like RS Components). The idea of what constitutes 'budget' is very much dependant on the individual but, within the context of turntables as a whole, £230.00 (with tone-arm and cartridge) is very much at the low end.

-------

This is the motor in question (it's the same one whether is says it is for turntable use or not):

F4410423-01.jpg

RS sell it for £73.44 http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...|prd|4410423&gclid=CIO70OTX1M0CFdQaGwod4PMFjQ

I completely appreciate that not having a car makes life difficult but that's not really Regas fault - is it?

I repeat, the one on sale on RS is not same motor on RP1. The RS motor is the specially designed one for turntables and that's why it is more expensive, this is used by the likes of Linn. How can one say the Rega price is a good deal when you are not comparing like for like. I just saying like it is, no bias or brand loyalty.

FYI the part number for motor used in RP1 is Premotec 9904 111 31304 and datasheets are publicly available for more detail.

I feel that, compared to some other manufacturers, Rega's replacement parts are very reasonably priced. Having been there and done that, I'd just pull the thistles out of my pocket and spend the 52 folders on a new motor.

If you can't afford to pull too many thistles, consider casting about for a used motor. A dealer might have one. Put a wanted ad on here, perhaps?

Thanks for the options, however I don't think a new replacement motor is the answer as I already found one on ebay which I was going to buy last week. I've come to a conclusion is not the motor that's the problem but the way it is implemented and chosen.

Ah, I see, as you say, the 31304 does seem to be a lower specified version of the 31813.

Still, I don't see how the price is unreasonable given it includes the pulley, circuit board and labour of fitting - in fact it still seems very cheap.

spikey w,

I am now totally confused as to why you are posting on this site, we have offered you a complete solution by accessing our Franchised Dealer Network with the suggestion that a replacement motor could be fitted FOC - not good enough.

You are trying to suggest that a motor fitted on a £230 turntable is slightly different and therefore somewhat less capable than one fitted on a £2600 upwards turntable - no real surprise.

You have also come to conclusions that our whole design principle is flawed, what exactly is your agenda and how can we as a company address the problems that you are claiming to experience and therefore ensure your complete satisfaction.

PD

advertisement

Back