advertisement

Rega RB-110 anti-skating (bias) adjustment

Paja

aka Infidel
I recently purchased Rega RB-110 tonearm to pair it with NAD533 base.

Prior purchase I have read specifications regarding anti-skating - even Rega declare that rb-110 "Includes automatic bias adjustment negating the need for the user to set bias" , some other sites say "predefined bias".

When tonearm was mounted on base and first cartridge (Roksan Corus Blues) on it, I noticed that anti-skating force was too high.
Then I dug old Audio technica AT-3600 since it is very similar to Rega Carbon (factory mounted on Rega RP1/RB-110 turntable).
Same result as with ROksan - too high anti scating force, even leading to skipping on some parts of record.

Time to look around:

Underside of Rega RB-110 is shown on photo no. 2 (circled is magnet for bias).
Bias is similar to conventional rega tonearms like RB-250 or RB-300, but without sliding mechanism for magnet.

For adjustment of bias on RB-110, cylinder/magnet position is essential.
First task was to loosen cylinder. It is glued to surrounding plastic, so it is necessary to carefully remove it (pic. 3 and 4). Removed magnet is shown on picture 5.
Now (be careful not to turn around magnet, since you can additionally increase bias) slide magnet back to plastic "tube" and by "trial and error" set
appropriate force for anti-skating (on picture 6 is shown cylinder position for AS for Roksan Corus Blue - also similar position to AT-3600).
I believe magnet cylinder could be calibrated to/with different values, if one have time to spare :)

When satisfied with bias value, fix cylinder to surrounding plastic (I used glue gun).
Enjoy the music.

(I believe this adjustment apply to Rega RB-220 tonearm, also).

Rega RB-110 by Dragan Pavlović, on Flickr
RB110-AS1 by Dragan Pavlović, on Flickr
RB110-AS2 by Dragan Pavlović, on Flickr
RB110-AS3 by Dragan Pavlović, on Flickr
RB110-AS4 by Dragan Pavlović, on Flickr
RB110-AS5 by Dragan Pavlović, on Flickr

Last edited:
All of the Rega TTs i have owned (since 1st one with RB300 in 1983) had over-compensating anti-skate/bias that benefitted from halving (at least) the recommended bias setting to prevent skipping. (Even with a factory fitted Bias2 cart on my last - 2007 version - Rega P2/RB250).

When tracking with a downforce of 1.75gm (as set with an accurate balance), an anti-skate setting exactly between the 0 and 1 markings (RB250 and RB300) was just about spot on.

Cao Dragane!

This is very interesting. I own a Planar 2 with the RB220 arm and from what I can see the magnet is in the same place.

How did you remove the magnet from the glued tube? By force?

I had no problem removing magnet. I had twisted magnet while I loosened it (and than removed).

You could try heating but be careful not to go over-the-top.

Thanks for this very helpful post. It works like a charm. A further refinement is to put a ball fof Blu-Tack around the end of the magnet before replacing it in the cylinder. You can then remount the arm, and reach under the support beam to gently ppush the magnet in until you find the optimal position. The Blu-Tack will then maintain that position until you want to adjust it for another cartridge.

Note: in the proceedure just mentioned the Blu-Tack should be placed around the outer, exposed end of the magnet.

advertisement

Back