advertisement

Rega Planet servicability

Piksky

pfm Member
I really miss the old clamshell first generation rega Planet I had several years ago.

I'm pondering getting another one but I'm acutely aware of the fact they're getting on a bit now and so I'm curious as to whether the planet mechanism/laser/gubbins can still be sourced/replaced, if anyone knows?

Does the factory still service this model?

Anyone have any insights?

Look up the few threads in DIY here - yes it's pretty easy to repair: they have few emergent faults (the clamp magnet coming loose - for which, superglue and patience; and the four rectifier diodes are about it) - and the laser (KSS-240A) is available if you look in the right places - and fairly cheap, though mostly clones now; hard to find a Sony original (these are v long-lived, however).

Everything else on the board - PSU etc - is pretty easy to repair or replace, and critical test voltages are marked. It still makes a good transport, given the transformer- isolated /directly-clocked SPDIF output. Nice little player still IMO, if the price is right (by which I mean - fairly low: it's certainly not the most explicit device around, but, yes, an even-handed, engaging&good all-rounder)

Mine was made in 1997 and is still working as perfectly as it always has. Never bothered upgrading albeit I added a clamshell IO DAC a few years back.

Rega service is usually very exemplary though I hardly think they service clamshell items any longer, one could allways ask.

Fwiw I had my Apollo cd player (first generation) send to service some years back, due to a software issue
It came back fresh and even better performing.

Great stuff

advertisement

Back