advertisement

Rega Planet mk1 fault

placebo

The problem is that this unit has started skipping and it always happen on
first track somewhere around 1-2min region depending of CD used and rest of the tracks plays ok.

I´v had this player for years and already have over 5 years ago changed KSS240A laser assy when it started to skip,
at that time it was random, sometimies not able to read the disc at all.

I have now cleaned the laser mech rails and gears and replaced KSS240A laser (have one spare) but the fault
presist, always on track one and rest of the CD plays faultlessy and always reads CD with no problem when loaded.

I have ordered spare 12 pin flex cable to try (between laser and mech assy) if this has intermittent cut / fault?

This worked ok until I forgot the unit on pause over night so it spinned on pause mode over 12 hours, after that incident
I noticed that this is started to skip on firs track.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Br,
Placebo

Do try replacing the main four rectifier diodes - these go bad with age, and lead to problems on playback, even intermittent player shutdown early on playing the disc ( a known fault).

I can't remember what is fitted as standard, but any axial diode of say 3A and 50 PIV rating should be fine.

Thanks Martin

I will look into that, although symptoms my player does not fully correspond to fault descriptions regarding the rectifier diode faults found on net.

True, but it is easy and cheap to do, and rules-out a future problem.
Have you (carefully) checked the transport board is being fed the full 6.9 or 7.0v marked by the preset adjustment potentiometer on the main board..?

No, have not checked the voltage. Strangely enough it is now playing without problems 5 CD´s without skipping? as of yesterday it was all CD´s I tried the first track that skipped. Dismantled the laser out of the player and changed it to other laser and back again, checked flat cables, rails and gears without help.

It might be that this is on it´s last legs, even though now that it is playing it sounds wonderful.

It might be worth trying to find a sled mechanism, plenty of players used the KSS 240a so finding one shouldn't be difficult and I'm pretty sure the sled mech is the same in all players with the exception of the platter which may differ between tray loading and top loading machines... however since the Planet has the clamp attached to the lid, I'd assume the platter would be the same as that used in a tray loading machine.

It could be the spindle motor (which is part of the sled mech) which has to run faster at the beginning of the disk, or even the servo driving it.

Check that voltage test point.
Also spray some alcohol contact cleaner into the tiny (mabuchi) disc motor and let it run. it can get a bit gummy (only sees 1-2.x v running..)

Yes, have to check the voltage on main board next week and at the same apply some contact cleaner to the motor spindle.
I have also ordered new flex cable from laser to mech as I think mine is not original as it is as long as 25-30cm, at least pictures I have seen it is much shorter.

Ok, now have tested the 7V test point and it was spot on as well was other test points I found on main board.
Put also contact cleaner to both motor / axel point but it is hard to get inside motor as the sled board and motor is quit compact package.
What is strange also is that it is not at the beginning of the first track but somewhere in the region of 1 to 2 min if it where motor speed issue as I would guess that beginning of first track needed the fastest rpm and then gradually slows towards the end of the CD.

Ok, now have tested the 7V test point and it was spot on as well was other test points I found on main board.
Put also contact cleaner to both motor / axel point but it is hard to get inside motor as the sled board and motor is quit compact package.
What is strange also is that it is not at the beginning of the first track but somewhere in the region of 1 to 2 min if it where motor speed issue as I would guess that beginning of first track needed the fastest rpm and then gradually slows towards the end of the CD.

Yep, fastest RPM is needed at the very beginning. It's a really strange issue. Normally it's contamination on the sled rails but you've cleaned them.😕

The problem is that this unit has started skipping and it always happen on
first track somewhere around 1-2min region depending of CD used and rest of the tracks plays ok.

I´v had this player for years and already have over 5 years ago changed KSS240A laser assy when it started to skip,
at that time it was random, sometimies not able to read the disc at all.

I have now cleaned the laser mech rails and gears and replaced KSS240A laser (have one spare) but the fault
presist, always on track one and rest of the CD plays faultlessy and always reads CD with no problem when loaded.

I have ordered spare 12 pin flex cable to try (between laser and mech assy) if this has intermittent cut / fault?

This worked ok until I forgot the unit on pause over night so it spinned on pause mode over 12 hours, after that incident
I noticed that this is started to skip on firs track.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Br,
Placebo
It may seem an odd one but have you checked the feet are still acting as they should, I once sold one of these to someone who complained of the exact problem your facing, he had removed the sorbothane from the underside of each foot.

These players do not have an in built suspension system, they rely on the feet for support of vibration.

It is easily checked, tap the player, the sound should skip, tap the supporting table, it should be fine.

Sorbothane feet are ok. Found Sony CDP-312 as a donor unit and going to take the mech out of it and try if it is as straight replacement for the Planet.
So please if one have further knowledge if these mechs have differences let me know.

At least Sony CDP-312 is using same KSS-240A laser, I should have Sony at some point next week. We´ll see how it goes.

Hello all

Update to Planet issue,

Transplanted whole transport assembly from Sony CDP-312 which was straight forward drop in replacement
and it seemed to fix the problem, so hopefully my Rega just got few more years :)

So original problem left unsolved but at least it can be isolated to the transport assembly.

advertisement

Back