advertisement

Rega planar 3..... or RP6?

I would look at The Funk Firm turntables if you want to buy new - The Gett or LSD. Much better sounding than the Rega equivalents.

S/H opens up many more possibilities....

The RP6 should have dropped in price due to its replacement being available this month (P6). If you have virtually no experience of LPs, I'd still go cheaper - not everyone can be doing with records - it's a very different experience to CDs or streaming. It certainly changes the way you listen.

I would look at The Funk Firm turntables if you want to buy new - The Gett or LSD. Much better sounding than the Rega equivalents.

Not many Funks around, the Gett looks exiting however OP talking about store clearance

What Rega versIon have you compared against ?
And same cartridges ?
I've heard about Funk QC issues, maybe they have solved this,? I hope so.

Thanks for the recommendation but I have no access to Funk Firm turntables in this part of Europe and I don't want to risk it since I've never heard them.

The RP6 should have dropped in price due to its replacement being available this month (P6). If you have virtually no experience of LPs, I'd still go cheaper - not everyone can be doing with records - it's a very different experience to CDs or streaming. It certainly changes the way you listen.

Yes, this would be my first real experience with vinyl, but I didn't wanted to start those discussions "Should I start with vinyl and etc." One of the reasons why I wanted to go with Rega, besides the discounts, is that they are fuss free and I liked them in the past when I heard them.

You think that maybe I would not like the whole "vinyl" experience and if I gave up, at least the initial costs will be lower? Because knowing myself, if the sound quality is not good enough, this will disappoint me much faster then anything else.And if I go with a cheaper model and I like the experience, then very soon I would like to upgrade, but then it would cost me much more and it would be tough sell to the wife.

This is why my question was more geared towards the technical differences between the tables and which one is a better choice for the money.If by any chance I gave up on the vinyl, then so be it, but this I can't know now.

Look at RP40 it is a mix of RP3 and RP6.

Thanks, but not really an option.I have the options between Planar 1,2,3, RP6 and RP8.

Those are the ones on clearance sale and with the best prices.

I am waiting for a feedback from my dealer regarding some payment options and if everything goes well, then I will get the RP6/Exact2/Fono MM MK2 probably.If not, I will think about the Planar 3 as a backup maybe if it's OK.

I almost bought the new Planar 3 but went for the Funk Firm Flamenca on a whim. No regrets! Rock solid speed and the unique tonearm suspended with fishing wire rather than a mechanical bearing practically isolates it from vibrations.

I almost bought the new Planar 3 but went for the Funk Firm Flamenca on a whim. No regrets! Rock solid speed and the unique tonearm suspended with fishing wire rather than a mechanical bearing practically isolates it from vibrations.

Mind if I ask where you got it from? I fancy having a look and listen myself but there seem to be extremely few dealers in the UK and even less that have them to demo.

I got mine from a dealer on Pinkfish. The Flamenca has just had a product refresh with a slightly modified tonearm so there are a few deals going to sell off existing stock. I paid £600 for mine. I believe the revised tonearm is mostly ease of use tweaks as opposed sound quality.

I got mine from a dealer on Pinkfish. The Flamenca has just had a product refresh with a slightly modified tonearm so there are a few deals going to sell off existing stock. I paid £600 for mine. I believe the revised tonearm is mostly ease of use tweaks as opposed sound quality.

Thanks. I've not heard one but would love to and it seems like a great price for that.

advertisement

Back