advertisement

Rega Planar 3 Motor replacement

chrisallan

Go on - bodge it!
I've dug out the old Rega 3 and after hooking up some Naim phono boards to a couple of Avondale TPRs, I was settling in to a nice evening of music.
I got distracted and left the platter on for a couple of hours before realising it had come to a stop. Looking at the motor, it had some black marks on the base looking like it had run dry. Even without the pulley on it, it wasn't turning properly.

Is there a drop in replacement from a manufacturer or do I have to get the real deal from Rega, Ebay or Origin Live etc?

I apologise to Mick Parry in advance for not toeing the line, being a cheapskate bodger, left wing soldering agitator and not immediately considering an LP12.

I could be persuded to look at other TTs - I'm well out of touch with the spinning black vinyl world.

Are you certain that the motor is faulty ? Because I have never encountered a duff Rega motor, though the associated PCB sometimes fails. If it is the older version with a large resistor, check that the resistor hasn't got a burnt black ring around it.

A replacement motor, pulley and PCB is £48.

I think it had run dry - hence the bits of black on the motor around the spindle. It seemed to run fast and slow and would judder. Can the bearings get rusty?
I changed the resistor some years ago to a high power type.

I'm not sure as I've never seen a faulty one. Perhaps if it's been stored somewhere damp for a while it could corrode. You could try dripping a tiny drop of light oil into the motor from around the shaft. That might help.

I have a P3 complete with no arm, the arm drilling is modified to take a different arm. It's all in good order and it's yours for less than a new motor, so you get a spare bearing, lid, all the bits. PM me if you'd like it, I want the space and don't want to start on Ebay.:)

advertisement

Back