advertisement

Rega build quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackholesun

peace among worlds
I have owned a couple of Planar 3s and I thoroughly enjoyed them. So, a logical step, I bought a new RP6 a few months ago.

First thing I noticed the platter was a bit wobbly. The dealer recommended that I remove the aluminium top-plate from the subplatter to remove any possible manufacturing dirt. I did it and the situation improved a bit. But then I noticed that the platter was not level to the plinth. A bit higher from one side than from the other. Oh well. Then the lift mechanism broke. I returned the deck to the dealer, who returned it to Rega for service. I described the defects in detail and patiently waited six weeks for the deck to return.
The deck arrived with a replaced arm but the slight wobble is still there.

Now my question to experienced pinkfishers: would you live with it, is this OK, or would you return the deck and go shopping for a different one?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMPO i wouldn't buy any Rega products full stop. This is from knowledgable and friends experience.

Not acceptable in a deck of that price.

Basic requirements for a record player is that it should rotate at the correct speed and have no run-out visible to the naked eye.

Given your experience so far I'd return it.

Platter wobble is very common seen a few reports of it. Not sure if it has any consequences as it may just be the lower edge not being true.

What's the coin in the pic?
If it's a 5p coin that's about 0.5mm vertical weave and therefore not significant.
Records are usually far worse.

If it's a bigger coin it's less acceptable IMO.

Have you checked the top of the platter?
IIRC the RP6 platter has bonded layers and the bottom layer might just be less well finished. It's the top that really matters.
Given the price includes the arm and it isn't manufactured using slave labour it's not an expensive turntable - it won't be absolutely perfect, it's not a SME.

Now my question to experienced pinkfishers: would you live with it, is this OK, or would you return the deck and go shopping for a different one?

No, No, and Yes. Visible movement like that is going to cause speed instability. I'm quite surprised as I thought Rega were a "proper" company.

I would decide if the deck has the sound you want, if it does, take it back and ask for a new one. If it is spinning out of level, then the bearing assembly is not installed properly, and that does not have a repair possibility. I have had a lot of Rega gear over the years, and never really had a problem, other than of my own making. Even then the customer service was above and beyond what I expected.

They do, from internet reports, seem to have some QA problems at the moment.

It's also jiggling side-to-side, Robert.

True, but it will have a W&F spec and only needs to meet that. Hopefully the spindle is dead centre.
Take away the arm and it's what, £300 of TT?

It's been back to Rega for repair. Presumably they feel it meets their minimum QC standards for that model.
I'd suggest the OP phones them and asks some questions.

What's the coin in the pic?
If it's a 5p coin that's about 0.5mm vertical weave and therefore not significant.
Records are usually far worse.

If it's a bigger coin it's less acceptable IMO.

Have you checked the top of the platter?

The coin is a Polish 5 zloty, same thickness as a two pence coin.
How would I check the top of the platter?

Funny thing is, when I place the bubble level with the coin under the platter from the arm side, there is visible clearance, perhaps under 1 mm. When I try to place the bubble level with the coin from the other side, well, I can't. It will not fit under the platter.

Perhaps it will be best to contact Rega tomorrow.

I would decide if the deck has the sound you want, if it does, take it back and ask for a new one. If it is spinning out of level, then the bearing assembly is not installed properly, and that does not have a repair possibility. I have had a lot of Rega gear over the years, and never really had a problem, other than of my own making. Even then the customer service was above and beyond what I expected.

They do, from internet reports, seem to have some QA problems at the moment.

+1, All my Rega kit has been 100%.

Check that the plinth, sub platter, and platter are all level, if they are then the chances are the bearing is installed properly. If that is the case, then you have a poorly assembled platter. That should be a easy swap out for them.

I had a problem with my rp6 initially as ther was a platter wobble . At first I thought it was the meatal sub platter that was distorted , after taking it back to the dealer and swoppiing around with the dem rp6 we found the plastic subplatter was distorted and causing the problem . the dem one was fine which I kept and the dealer ordered a new one . The rp6 has run fine since this change . I understand this fault is fairly common as the plastic subplatter is not of the greatest moulding quality and and imperfections are magnified by having the metal subplatter on top

Dear Blackholesun (great track by the way)

Could I respectfully ask that you return the deck to your supplying dealer so he can asses the "wobble" as a first step, did the deck come back to us in the UK for the new arm to be fitted ? Was it packed using the original packaging ? I am a little worried that and potential damage could have occured during transport.

Was it reported at the same time so that we could have had a look at the situation ?

Whatever the answers are to the questions we will do whatever we need to to ensure you are completely happy with your RP6 TT.

Paul Darwin
Rega Research

I have a problem with RP6 too
it spinning stops after a while and it happen intermittent
on a bright side REGA replaced a controller within a week.
6 weeks is too much to swallow if you bought new from Rega

I have a very slight p.wobble on my rp3 as well, and the elys 2 cantilever is a bit skewed to left. Should I return?

I have a very slight p.wobble on my rp3 as well, and the elys 2 cantilever is a bit skewed to left. Should I return?

I once had an Ortofon MC30S (cost me nearly £600 when I was in my 20’s, so it hurt!) that had a slightly skewed cantilever (tiny amount, but perceptible under scrutiny).

Rayleigh HiFi at the time advised that the whole generator was probably slightly misaligned but not to worry if it sounded good. It sounded wonderful, but it played on my mind. I demanded a replaced direct from the distributor. A brand new cart was supplied. It looked perfect. It sounded worse.

Sometimes its best to decide with your ears, not your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back