advertisement

Rega Brio clam shell review please.

hixy

pfm Member
How would you describe a Rega Brio amp, would you say the phono stage would be better than my CA 640p and would you feel it would be a good match with my Proac 110, I have seen a mint one for sale for £200 is that a good price.

Ta

Depends which variation on the brio. The original version was quite whimpy and really didn't deliver a lot of bottom end. Detailed, smooth and pleasant. And fun. But very, very mild on power output (and not it's measurements, it's actual poot and drive).

Later versions are significantly more pushy. Haven't heard the lastest Brio R or new Brio but I would hazard a guess they already outperform the original elex's, etc. Or super Elex.

How would you describe a Rega Brio amp, would you say the phono stage would be better than my CA 640p and would you feel it would be a good match with my Proac 110, I have seen a mint one for sale for £200 is that a good price.

Ta

I believe its just about the going rates for Brio 3

The /R a bit more

Both are fine and fun on easy speakers, no idea of yours in Q.
Perhaps try Elex/R if you need more power, but its much more expensive (super Elex ?)

The Brio phono is ok good but different (not as sterile) than Cambr.. so go listen if possible, also depend on cart.

EDIT, apologies now I read headline, its about the old clamshell, please ignore

Iirc, there are two clamshell versions too, the original shallow one and the later full depth one. I've only heard the full depth clamshell version along with a Planet, Planar 3 and Juras, I quite liked it, smooth, detailed and open.

I have emailed the chap to see which version it is it's on auction site but he wants £200 for it, would a creek 4040 be a better option, id love an old Exposure but they have gone mental price wise.

There was a Brio 3 in the classified the other day, more safe buy, the older clamshell were not the most reliable things

There was a Brio 3 in the classified the other day, more safe buy, the older clamshell were not the most reliable things

I disagree . I bought the second generation clamshell model ( green led ) when it came out and it is still working to this day . I can't remember the year I got it but it must be 20 to 25 years old , it's now with my mother who uses it daily for radio duties .

To answer the OP's question the older series Brio's had a warm bouncy if a little bit loose sound and were very musical , if it was a turntable it would be a pre cirkus LP12 :)

Lots of Brio models, £200 for the original full width/half depth is too much imho, they are not so great and certainly not very powerful. Then there was the Larger shelled model - the 2000 - the 3, then the half-width R and now the new 2017 R. No idea about those.

....I think the latest Rega EAR headphone amp is actually a tiny Brio but I'm not sure :D

They are great, I have one, but doubt I paid over £100 for it. Hope I'm not thread crapping or anything but PM me if you're interested in it...

I disagree . I bought the second generation clamshell model ( green led ) when it came out and it is still working to this day . I can't remember the year I got it but it must be 20 to 25 years old , it's now with my mother who uses it daily for radio duties .

To answer the OP's question the older series Brio's had a warm bouncy if a little bit loose sound and were very musical , if it was a turntable it would be a pre cirkus LP12 :)

That is great and prove if you take care the stuff can entertain for decades

The two items I was referring to might have been treated bad, running hot etc., who knows.

Btw some Rega amplifiers do run quite hot, I remember when I had the second gen. Elicit with cooling fins beneath. Had to raise it a bit as the feet wasn't that high to cool properly in my rack.
I do the same with my current Elex/R, raise it a bit by placing feet on other material to expand the distance to shelf (not that this amp gets very hot)

The latest brio is rolled off at the top with lots of low end detail but loose bass. Made it sleepy Zzzzzz

advertisement

Back