advertisement

Rega Apollo-R- Inherent Glitch?

Shane2468

pfm Member
This is my second Rega Apollo-R....Lovely CD Player!

This example was built around early (ish) 2017. So probably, one of the last batches made. It's replacement is now the curved looking Apollo (non R).

Like the first Apollo-R I had prior, this one also sometimes freezes. Switching the unit off/back on etc the oddity disappears. The freeze returns again after a few weeks.

There have been reports from other users of the very same CD Player that have experienced the same thing.

Wondering if this ''freeze'' is inherent with most Apollo-R?

I believe my first Apollo-R was built around 2014/2015.

S.

I know some of the Saturn's and Apollo's had a software glitch that Rega fixed early on, don't know if the fix is available this far down the line though. If turning it off fixes the problem, why not turn it off when not in use. I switch my Saturn off when not in use. After one track it sounds as good as if it has been switched on for ever.

Had the predecessor to the Apollo R (Rega Apollo) which I bought s/h, and it did develop occasional read errors. I then traded in for the Apollo R and never had a problem.
I now however, have a Saturn R, and it has, on a few occasions, not recognised a disc, but on these occasions, I have simply lifted the lid, closed it again, and on the second attempt it has read, initialised, and played the disc without problem.
Enjoyed all my Rega CD players, and regard this occasional inconvenience with the Saturn R as a small price to pay for its wonderful performance. Occasionally with a well mastered disc, I have to question whether I am listening to a cd or vinyl. It’s that good!

it looks like that thread goes back to the early software glitch. I have the Saturn, bought just after release, may be in that time I have had to lift the lid because a CD would not initialise half a dozen times. I had more problems with the copland I had before not reading discs. It is not something that happens often enough to make me bitch about it, especially given the musical capabilities of the Saturn.

it looks like that thread goes back to the early software glitch. I have the Saturn, bought just after release, may be in that time I have had to lift the lid because a CD would not initialise half a dozen times. I had more problems with the copland I had before not reading discs. It is not something that happens often enough to make me bitch about it, especially given the musical capabilities of the Saturn.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Apollo-R and will keep it for a long time. But I'd like to hear a Saturn-R someday! Have you heard the Rega Isis?

S.

advertisement

Back