advertisement

Red light cameras

Nero

Re: Tired
I just got a ticket apparently for jumping a red light. They say I was doing 17mph at the time. Actually, I clearly remember the incident, and it was wet at the time, so I braked as safely as I could but ended up straddling the line. But I definitely did not cross the junction.
As the road just before the lights is a dual carriageway, I reckon slowing down from 70mph (probably more :) ) to 17mph was a pretty good effort.
Is it worth appealing, or should I just pay up and take the points? What are my chances if I go to court?
It goes against a grain a bit, as I know I stopped.

Did they send the pics? If you stopped on the line and didn't proceed through the junction, you should be able to get that from the camera evidence.

I haven't asked for the pics yet - is it worth dragging it out. I stopped with about half the car over the line, then backed up. I'm not sure at what point the camera clicks. Sounds a bit trigger happy.
@Cav - yes, you're probably right, but the ticket is for a red light, so speeding is irrelevant no?

well, I did cross the line, so I guess I'm f£$ked

I thought asking for the pics incurred extra costs?

yep, just did a quick Google. The offence is caused if any part of the vehicle crosses the line on red.
Oh well, that cancels out the £100 I just won on the Premium Bonds. Serendipity,

yep, just did a quick Google. The offence is caused if any part of the vehicle crosses the line on red.
Oh well, that cancels out the £100 I just won on the Premium Bonds. Serendipity,

Seem a bit harsh to me. You probably would have made it through okay if you hadn't braked at all. I would request the photos and maybe write them a letter and see if they will enforce it.

IF you can be bothered... & IF there were any possible extenuating circumstances, such as unduly large puddles in the braking area, you could argue that you were driving safely and should not be fined.

I once did this successfully, to the amazement of the prosecuting official...

You'll get points on your licence and a hefty financial penalty if you plead to it. I'd ask for photos. If you're right about straddling the line when you stopped it's a bit harsh. Check out the Highway Code and download a copy.

Oh and of course your insurance will go up as well!

Seem a bit harsh to me. You probably would have made it through okay if you hadn't braked at all. I would request the photos and maybe write them a letter and see if they will enforce it.

Consider that some pedestrian was crossing the road where that red light was and would reasonably expect traffic to stop at the line? Their fault if some motorist was treated harshly for running them down - really?

The only problem is the NIP is an offer, rather than a summons. If you choose the court option, it can cost more. Writing a letter is pointless - good website here

Consider that some pedestrian was crossing the road where that red light was and would reasonably expect traffic to stop at the line? Their fault if some motorist was treated harshly for running them down - really?

Remember the green cross code?

Where was the camera? What if you'd gone over to let an ambulance through for example?-I'd ask to see the pics.

There was no ambulance?

No but the camera is triggered by movement through the junction if the light is red ergo if you had to move for an ambulance it would do you....so where is the camera positioned, if Nero only got halfway over the line how did it record his number plate?
You can carry on with your righteous position obviously but I thought the pedant in you would rise to the minutae...but alas the arse is online instead.

There was no ambulance and Nero has said he crossed the stop line. I have no "righteous position" and pedantry has nothing to do with it. As for cameras, there were probably at least 8 I would think.

advertisement

Back