advertisement

Recommendation for budget (used) Hi-Fi system

i have a pair of proac 125 with a very small hardly noticaeble scratch and one or two slight marks in oak , beautiful sound and incredible vfm at 300 collected
Those are incredible VFM, I’ve heard that very pair and they’re very nice, £300 is a killer deal!

i have a pair of proac 125 with a very small hardly noticaeble scratch and one or two slight marks in oak , beautiful sound and incredible vfm at 300 collected

TheAuthor - you should buy these. I purchased this very pair new (ex demo) so can confirm their provenance. They sound excellent and are very hard to beat for the money. Put it this way, I had to move to Neat XL6 to gain any significant upgrade. I ran them for several years with my Audiolab 8000S which I have just put up for sale and it was a fantastic combination. You wouldn’t be missing any bass, that’s for sure. Just pick up a decent turntable (I used a Linn Axis with these) and you’ll have a cracking system.

TheAuthor - you should buy these. I purchased this very pair new (ex demo) so can confirm their provenance. They sound excellent and are very hard to beat for the money. Put it this way, I had to move to Neat XL6 to gain any significant upgrade. I ran them for several years with my Audiolab 8000S which I have just put up for sale and it was a fantastic combination. You wouldn’t be missing any bass, that’s for sure. Just pick up a decent turntable (I used a Linn Axis with these) and you’ll have a cracking system.
Yes, you’re well into the realms of proper HIFI here!

I'd buy the other posters Proac's, but I want to get kit that is in 'superb/stunning' condition, especially the speakers as they are going to be prominent. I know I won't get mint gear, but I want to get 'excellent' condition equipment.

Epos ES11s are great - ace midrange and uncoloured sound. The bass is punchy and fuller than you'd think for a small(ish) standmount. Absolutely must have the open frame stands mind! So here's my cheapy balanced system, with hopefully enough left over for a sub if required...

TT = Systemdek IIX or a Thorens TD150. Either is a cheapish and highly entertaining welcome back to vinyl.
Amp = A&R A60 (yes, really) built in phono stage, tone controls. You wanted smooth as chocolate, so here it is. The A60 also helps to rein in the aluminium tweeter of...
ES11s = still the best sound per pound I know of, especially in the mids. Adds a fast propulsive quality to belt-drive TT and sharpens up the A60.

NB - the ES11s are fast speakers, better in this respect than their big brothers the ES14s. I'd suggest listening to them by themselves before looking at a sub, which may give you more bass at the expense of coherence and timing.

Anyway, that lot sould come in under £500 for very tidy examples of each. I suspect some of this kit would be familiar to the OP from first time around :)

Good job you're a bit of a schlep from me, or I might have a relapse on my speaker acumulation problem :D

If you like loadsabass, the AE 109 will deliver. No need to boost at the amp.

It should be no surprise that I would drive them with a Harman Kardon amp from the 80's/90's; lots of pace and punch, excellent fully discrete phono stages.

I'd only go for an old Rega 3 if you are prepared to tweak it.

Axis/Akito would be good, you may have to get the board re-capped, but that's not a biggie.

Or a Systemdek II X, Logic Tempo, AR Legend, Mantra.

No list from me but I’d keep an eye on buying things you stand a chance of selling again.

KANTO YU-6

Ultra simple active speaker system with built-in DAC, optical inputs, RCA inputs, digital inputs , and a separate subwoofer out, Bluetooth or wired so no speaker wires required , and YU6 speakers also come with a nice remote control and a spare USB power charging port on the back that I used to plug in my iPhone's wireless charger. Bluetooth
and killer sound

Just plug in a Rega entry level TT as requested and good to go ultracompact

I have the predecessor YU-5s... highly recommended ...use them as my C system and PC input also.

https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/Hands-onReview:KantoYU6PoweredSpeakers.html

advertisement

Back