advertisement

Recommendation for budget (used) Hi-Fi system

TheAuthor

pfm Member
I want to get back into vinyl again. I'm old enough to remember quality vintage Hi-Fi such as: Rega Planer 3, Linn Sondek, Micheal, Audiolab 8000a, Heybrook HB1's, Inca-tech Claymore, Dunlop Systemdek 2 for example – yes, showing my age now.

Anyway, I want to purchase the following: record deck, bookshelf speakers (to go on floor stands), a sub to go with them to compensate for the lack of bass and an integrated amp. Or, preferably active speakers so I won't need an amp.

I'm on a budget of £800 - all in. So I'm thinking used Rega Planer 3, Wharfdale Diamond speakers with floor stands, Rel Strata 3 subwoofer and a NAD 3020a amp. Or, Active Diamond speakers and no amp.

But, will an old NAD 3020a sound bad after 30 years of use, I can't imagine they would sound anywhere near as good as when new as the transformers will be shot to hell, so too will soldering etc.

I'm open to suggestions as I'm way out of touch with equipment these days, but I know I won't get a decent set-up for £800 from Sevenoaks, not even close, hence shopping around on eBay for some older gear.

I'd really appreciate your suggestions.

I listen to mainly rock/pop, with a bit of classical here and there and I like my music to sound weighty with plenty of bass and bottom end slam and I don't like harsh/brittle treble - think smooth as chocolate with very weighty bass.

Thanks in advance all - really looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

I'm on a budget of £800 - all in. So I'm thinking used Rega Planer 3,
A decent if uninspired choice, for the money.

Wharfdale Diamond speakers with floor stands,
If you must.

and a NAD 3020a amp.
Please don't. These were decent entry level kit when new, that's all.

But, will an old NAD 3020a sound bad after 30 years of use,
They had a head start on that when new.

I can't imagine they would sound anywhere near as good as when new as the transformers will be shot to hell, so too will soldering etc.
The transformer will last for ever. The components that stop working are capacitors. A decent technician can replace these, but a 3020 isn't worth it.

You need to move on from what was worth hearing in 1983 when you were 17. There are much better choices out there than the magazine favourites of 30 and 35 years ago.[/quote]

Have you got plenty of old vinyl in good condition? If not there are better ways to use your budget.

If you have i can recommend my setup; Rega P3, Naim Nait 3, Kef C10s. The latter were designed for life on a bookshelf and actually sound worse on stands. For added functionality throw in a Raspberry Pi and DAC combo for a perfect digital source.

All of that will retain its value so if dipping your toe back in the water doesn't work for you, there's little money lost.

You could do a lot worse than a new Planer 2 with a better cartridge (2M red is great), a gusty integrated amp like a Rotel RA02 or better still, an older Sony ES amp and a pair of Q acoustics 2010/3010. This stuff (turntable and speakers) are fantastic VFM new and of course come with dealer warranty. Used turntables seem to fetch a lot of money these days and IMHO, make some new stuff look like a better proposition.

can you manage some floorstanders ? if so the proac 125 are rather good for their low cost of about 350s/h and agreed that the rotel is rather good . I have one rotel amp in a second system

Plenty of stuff on that list still in use on here!

Rega P3 instinct is good (if as Steve says a bit predictable) though a newer, less abused P2 may be a better purchase in your budget - Rega's Carbon is a very good vfm cartridge if you buy one without a servicable cart and an oil and belt change is always advisable.

The rest of it... Wharfedale Diamonds on stands and a Rel Strata on the floor? The Rel maybe if you must have a sub, but I'd have thought in this price range floorstanders and spending a bit more on the amp would give more bang for buck. My advice there would be to see what is available locally that suits your space, aesthetic considerations etc, have a listen if you can and if you're not confident ask here. Shipping a pair of floor standers across the country could easily double their price in this budget, your best bang for buck will likely be something you can collect.

Run a mile from the Nad, they sound bad and spontaneously combust ("allegedly")! Rotel is usually a sound choice if you don't go too old. I like a Nait 3, but could be a bit tricky to find a good example with MM cards in your budget.

Yea, ok a 2nd hand RP3 is a decent stab for the tt. A Project debut carbon could also work.
I’d shoot for a Marantz 6004/6005 amp ( it has a built in phono stage) over a 3020 & I’d go for floorstanders rather than a standmount/sub combo.

I forgot about the sub... but I do then to avoid them. Floorstanders are definitely going to be a better bet than standmounts and a sub in your budget and the Rega Deck with ProAc speakers and the best integrated amp you can afford with the remaining budget will serve you well. There is a Rega Brio on here for £125 which is excellent IMO provided you don’t expect rock concert levels and you don’t have a massive room. I wouldn’t suggest it with the Q acoustics because they need something with more welly to get them singing, larger floorstanders tend to be more sensitive and need less power.

And if you can save a little longer, stretch the budget by another £200 or so, you’ll be able to get a significantly better system, £1000 will easily get you the Rega deck, either the ProAc Studo 125 or a pair of Linn Ninkas, both of which are excellent sounding speakers with superb bass, open and detailed mid range and sweet treble... and any of the amps mentioned here. And trust me, the ProAc 125 or Linn Ninka will comprehensively wipe the floor with a pair of Daimonds and a sub.

Thanks guys. Just to give you a bit more info - based on questions asked above.

I don't have any vinyl at all, will be cherry picking some of my favourites LPs used on eBay, such as: Simply Red 'Picture Book' Franky Goes.. 'Welcome to Pleasure dome' some Steely Dan, Grace Jones and the like.

My living room is 17 feel long and 9 feet deep, my couch along the long wall so the distance to speakers is the shorter distance.

I was only thinking bookshelf speakers on stands and a sub as I figured it would be cheaper than floor-standers, at least floor-standers that can kick out some good bottom end slam.

Ok, could go to a grand on the budget.

If you can find some good, working, Meridian M3 or M30 you will be in a different league SQ wise than anything suggested so far, I think you may not even need a sub if you listen at moderate sound levels - the M30 is more configurable, and technically better than the M3, but we have both, and use the M3 in the office, and the M30 as the rears in our home cinema system. Find a Meridian or Naim preamp, and then find a Rega and you have something superb.

If you buy standmounters, you’ll need stands and of course the sub if you want some bass welly, it’ll add up quickly. You’ll get a much better performance from a good pair of used floorstanders. I actually heard the very pair of ProAcs that Hifinutt refered to and now owns before he did at the original owners house, they’re excellent... but Ninkas are equally excellent and will cost similar money (£350-£400), both are proper quality speakers which cost over £1000 new. You’ll definitely get a decent system for £1000. In my opinion, the difference difference between an £800 budget and £1000 budget is more significant than the difference between a £3000 and £4000 budget when it comes to the performance gains you’ll get. At that level, any extra you can spend will allow for improvements. You really don’t want to compromise on the turntable and speakers and they will eat right into £800, making the budget up to £1000 is £200 more to spend on a good amp to make your turntable and speakers sing.

I’ll have a look through my vinyl collection and see if I have any spare copies of any of the albums you mention (I think I have a couple of copies of Picture Book) to get you started.

Thanks all. Looks like I have a list forming here for stuff to look out for on eBay:

ProAc Studio 125 speakers £350
Linn Ninka speakers £350 to £400
Rega Planer 3 turntable
Naim Nait 3
Rotel amp
Marantz 6004/6005 amp

Any suggestions on model of Rotel amp?

If I have a few options of amps, speakers etc I will stand more chance of finding something, and possibly getting a bargain on eBay.

Any other turntables you guys could suggest, if I could up the budget to say £400 for deck/arm/cart all in.

Only consider Rega, but there must be others as good/better?

can you manage some floorstanders ? if so the proac 125 are rather good for their low cost of about 350s/h and agreed that the rotel is rather good . I have one rotel amp in a second system

Glad you are enjoying my old ProAc 125’s hifinutt!
TheAuthor - as has been suggested, you’d do well to search out a pair of these. Great speaker and fantastic value for money. I used them with my Audiolab 8000S (which I’ve just put up for sale) for several years and the sound was excellent. You’ll get so much better sound for relatively little more cash with this level of kit.
Cheers, Nick

thanks to you nick and linnformaniac they have been serving well . yes they are absolutely superb speakers for the money , delightfully natural and incredible vfm . their replacements will be coming soon but will probably keep these as back up as they really are good . if the op would like to hear them then they are most welcome

Any other turntables you guys could suggest, if I could up the budget to say £400 for deck/arm/cart all in.

Only consider Rega, but there must be others as good/better?

I found the Planar 3 a rather underwhelming piece of equipment. I'd much rather a Technics SL1200.

advertisement

Back