advertisement

Recommend me a cheap used integrated amp

I agree that Nait 3s are amazing in many ways, but a lot of the 80s/90s amps at this price point are quite distinctly flavoured, and the 3 is no exception.

The Arcams are great value, but have an upper mid emphasis to them that can be a bit samey and distracting - although initially impressive because it sounds like 'timbre'. The 8000a is very good on paper, but a bit grey sounding.

The Nait 3 is by far the most entertaining, but again has a flavour -a distinctive nasal treble, and artificial, pushy bass. That said, if you're a rock/pop person it's a pretty easy winner, and I suspect prices there will start to creep up too.

I like the Nait 3 a lot but you're looking at £250-£300... or more for a Nait 3r. You also need to check that it has MM cards fitted else that'll be an added expense.

I think the Rega amps are a real good bet below £200. Shame the elicit that was on here has gone because that would have been perfect, it was a serious bargain.

Not thinking of selling your L-210 are you?

If I get round to it - LOTS of autumn gardening clear-up to do - it will go in the Classifieds section on Sunday (as will the JVC : I am replacing both with my JVC AX-Z711). Both in very good condition.

https://screenshot.net/dqr1dt9
dqr1dt9

dqr1dt9

^That looks very tidy, I'll check out the classifieds as and when.

I'm still bobbling around and slightly unsure which way to go. I wonder if I should consider some newer models in the (possibly incorrect) assumption that they may be in better order i.e. not approaching re-cap age etc. For instance, how about the Marantz pm7200? Or do you think that ~£200 for amps less than say 15 years old puts me too firmly in the budget category?

What about an original Cyrus One ? It's got a good phono stage.
(I've got one that after years of loyal service in my classroom had a service last year when I retired but hasn't been used since. I keep on thinking I'll use it somewhere but haven't got round to it yet. If I could find some Rogers LS6as I could recreate my Philips CD100/Cyrus One/Rogers system from 1990!)

Good shout on the Cyrus one, had forgotten about this, not lots of power but the sound makes up for it.

Have to disagree with the analysis of the Nait 3 above, no nasal treble here or artifice, maybe you had a bad 'un, the most natural sound of the bunch being considered here IMO.

Lots of options, Rotel 04 would also be a good shout, I have one linked to an 06 cd, the amp is by far the bargain of the last decade in the budget arena, has everything except a remote. The remote 05 model sounds inferior.

If your looking for natural without artifice I would avoid all Arcam amps, they are tuned for warmth & smoothness, Marantz favouring warmth with brightness, The 04 sounds ruler flat by comparison, plays anything you care to throw at it with guts, detail & rock solid bass.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/speakers/rotel-ra-04-amplifier/1276108041

Have to disagree with the analysis of the Nait 3 above, no nasal treble here or artifice, maybe you had a bad 'un, the most natural sound of the bunch being considered here IMO.
You absolutely have to be joking. A Nait 3 is great fun, and if you like the forward style of presentation then great, especially with rock and pop music, but "natural". Never. Play some small scale classical through it and tell me it's natural. Or do your ears a favour and use something else.

^That looks very tidy, I'll check out the classifieds as and when.

I'm still bobbling around and slightly unsure which way to go. I wonder if I should consider some newer models in the (possibly incorrect) assumption that they may be in better order i.e. not approaching re-cap age etc. For instance, how about the Marantz pm7200? Or do you think that ~£200 for amps less than say 15 years old puts me too firmly in the budget category?

The newer you get the less the same money will buy in my expirience. I have a Marantz PM7200 and PM7000 (same, but with no class A feature) in the attic, their a good amps but were easily bested by Akai AM-93 (and the other Akai models I previously mentioned) The ealier PM75 (the PM64/84's from the same time are supposed to be good too) is also better imo, although the PM7200 has managed to keep it's second hand price, it being about the same now as when I got it in 2004.

I'd initially been thinking of amps contemporary with the speakers but I'm beginning to think convenience and reliability are equally important.

I'm not sure that means you should rule contemporary amps out, my Grandparents' Pioneer SX-550 receiver is still in perfect order and sounds great, in contrast I have dead stuff from just about every subsequent decade kicking about!

I've never heard a bad Arcam amp.

The original Arcam Alpha amp was pretty good, not sterile or boring as some of their later offerings
Fine MM stage too

I still have the matching Alpha II FM tuner

No idea how the Alpha would run OP's speakers but it did not struggle with Kan/Royd back then, even modest 30w or so.

post-133146-0-77608100-1338770714.jpg

The original Arcam Alpha amp was pretty good, not sterile or boring as some of their later offerings
Fine MM stage too

No idea how the Alpha would run OP's speakers but it did not struggle with Kan/Royd back then, even modest 30w or so.

I had one of those for a few years, my first proper hifi amp in fact. Eventually got outed by a Musical Fidelity B200.

Fine MM stage too

the ugliest amp I have ever seen totally unbalanced in the knobs placement - should look at how to do it - Audiolab

I would expect a B200 to beat anything that has been suggested so far!
Actually yes, that really was a good amp. I'd pretty much forgotten about it until now! It was a pretty big step up from the Arcam Alpha. In fact I don't think I've ever repeated that sort of leap in quality in any of my subsequent (and frequent) kit changes.

What have you ended up with

By a stroke of luck the seller of the Brio on here found a Rega box so was able to ship it after all which was great, so that should be on its way next week.
Shortly after that I spotted a not-very-well-described amp on gumtree not very far away that turned out to be an Onix. I knew the name but not the gear, but either way was lucky enough to nab that too for what might be a snip. Neither quite tick every box but it's gonna be fun comparing them!

By a stroke of luck the seller of the Brio on here found a Rega box so was able to ship it after all which was great, so that should be on its way next week.
Shortly after that I spotted a not-very-well-described amp on gumtree not very far away that turned out to be an Onix. I knew the name but not the gear, but either way was lucky enough to nab that too for what might be a snip. Neither quite tick every box but it's gonna be fun comparing them!
I have been speaking with Rich recently as I was looking to purchase it but he didn't have the box at the time, since got hold of one, I told him you were looking for one of these, so all worked out well, nice one.
Is the onix the 0A21?
Great little amp, purchased one recently from Tony L.
Very different sounding amps, I imagine you will be keeping both. once you test them out.

advertisement

Back