advertisement

Recommend me a cheap used integrated amp

calorgas

Generic middle-aged man
I've been struggling recently to choose between my vaguely contemporary (for me) pair of active Tannoys and my 70's Tannoys. In truth I feel in most respects the actives are the better speaker but there's still something about the Eatons that I really like and makes it difficult for me to move them on.
The obvious answer is to keep them both but that ties up a fair bit of my hifi financial resources and I don't have an amplifier for the Eatons. However I can afford to spend £150-200.

So I'm after recommendations for a decent affordable amp to run a pair of Eatons. It needs to have a mm phono stage and though I can live without one a remote would be a bonus. I'd initially been thinking of amps contemporary with the speakers but I'm beginning to think convenience and reliability are equally important. I know there's probably thousands of options so hoping you good folk can help to narrow it down a bit.

If you’re using actives too, how do you control them and what do you use as a phono stage with them? Do you have a separate pre/volume control? If so then why not consider a power amp? You’ll likely get a lot more performance for your money.

I also have a Technics SUV 3, no remote obs but very grunty...and cheap!

If you’re using actives too, how do you control them and what do you use as a phono stage with them? Do you have a separate pre/volume control? If so then why not consider a power amp? You’ll likely get a lot more performance for your money.
I'm using a Quad 99 cdp-2 as cd and preamp into the actives. However I'm looking to reintroduce a tt at some point so an integrated with phono stage would make a lot of sense. Actually one that also has pre-outs would add the flexibility to use it with either speakers.

At your asking price I would recommend a Rega Brio (original clamshell) I have one here (and no, i'm not trying to sell), it works wonders with all sorts of music, it is easily the most musical amp you will find at this price, depends if you can do without the remote, another option, a little more expensive at around £250 - £300, would be a Naim Nait 3, I have both here (again, not selling), when compared, I would say the Nait will suit guitar driven music a little more, the Rega is more of an all rounder but a suprb option IMO.

Someone here selling the Brio, also one on Ebay I believe, Gumtree also.
The Nait pops up regularly.

I'm using a Quad 99 cdp-2 as cd and preamp into the actives. However I'm looking to reintroduce a tt at some point so an integrated with phono stage would make a lot of sense. Actually one that also has pre-outs would add the flexibility to use it with either speakers.
The Brio as suggested by Ragaman is a lovely amp but lacks a preout... however the clamshell Mira does have a preout and remote control capability so that’s what I’d suggest... or failing that an Arcam Alpha 8r. The bonus with the Alpha 8r is that you can switch the speakers off which would be convenient if you want to switch between the passive and active speakers.

Thanks that's interesting, I've never heard a Rega amp but have read lots of reviews of them being thought well of and very musical.
So of the Mira and Brio, is one 'higher up the ladder' than the other?

The Mira is the higher model. Both are great but the Mira has a bit more power and also has a preout and remote control capability. You’ll probably have to go on a treasure hunt to find one but it’ll be worth it.

Thanks that's interesting, I've never heard a Rega amp but have read lots of reviews of them being thought well of and very musical.
So of the Mira and Brio, is one 'higher up the ladder' than the other?
Had a Mira here recently (purchased from a lovely guy from pfm) I would say, the Mira sounds a little softer, less exciting & with less expression to my ears, I sold it on & kept the Brio.
But as said, the Mira has a remote option I believe , extra power & a pre out.

They sell for similar prices these days.

The newer Brio has remote option but isn't in the same league as the clamshell IMO.

I quite like the clamshell Mira, I certainly prefer it to the Mira 3 which I did find a little too laid back!

The early stuff has more expression, the Planet is the same too.
Makes for a superb little system.

Clearly I need to have one of each in order to know which would suit me best ;)

The Brio for sale on here looks good but it's the wrong end of the country and the seller wants it collected. And I really wasn't intending to leap straight into a purchase. But.....I may inquire......

I have a NAD C326BEE (5* reviews) which will drive a lot of speakers, has a pre out and every input you could want. PM me if required. I'm in GLOS.

Don't discount Arcam Diva 75+.
Have one of those in the loft now and took a lot more than I'd hoped for to significantly improve on it...
Has all the bits you require and goes pretty cheaply 2nd hand.
So cheap that unless I get desperate I intend to keep it just in case.
Actually quite liked it, but a tad too polite to really get the best out of my Sonus Faber Concertino Homes.

Don't discount Arcam Diva 75+.
Have one of those in the loft now and took a lot more than I'd hoped for to significantly improve on it...
Has all the bits you require and goes pretty cheaply 2nd hand.
So cheap that unless I get desperate I intend to keep it just in case.
Actually quite liked it, but a tad too polite to really get the best out of my Sonus Faber Concertino Homes.
I think the Diva 75 is largely based on the Alpha 8. They're good amps.

advertisement

Back