advertisement

Recap madness - 135s, a 250, and a 'Geddon

Dr.Exotica

Yma Sumac is a goddess
Following a successful recap of a pair of Hi-caps over the weekend, does anyone know off-hand what size caps (both physically as well as electrically) go in a 135, a 250, and a 'Geddon. For my Hi-caps, I used 22,000uF/63v (2" diameter x 4" length) caps.

I figure someone here will know. If not, I'll get off my rear end and pop all the boxes open tonight...

Thanks for any help.

Get off ur ass and show us in the 135 anyway :D

I havent got round to my hicap yet by have the Kendeils sitting waiting.

I could be wrong, but I can't remember seeing any caps in my 'geddon (apart from the titchy 'phase' one on the output) so that should save you some time!

Graeme.

Cue the 'how do they do it for the money', and keep a straight face comments.....

...except that the typical service replaces more than the reservoir caps.

Servicing a Hi-cap is trivial - there is little if anything to replace. Regarding a 135, what should be addressed other than the reservoir caps? Is it time to do an acoustica-style coupling/decoupling/feedback cap style replacement? Perhaps re-bias the output stage?

How do people generally service a 135?

BTW - the 135s take the same reservoir caps as a Hi-cap - two of the 22,000uF/63V 2" x 4" screw terminal types.

while your inside , replace the Tantalum bead caps on the power amp board , 10uf by the + input , 47uf near the centre by the trimmer pot and 100uf by the - input . Also look on the regulator , by the heatsink there are two resistors 3k3 raised off the board , these often look a little burnt (browning) replace those and the 10uf 63V and 47uf Electrolytics.
When you have finished reset the voltage rails (-39.8 , +39.2 ..but 40 on each will do) and bias current 36 to 38 mA , this takes 20mins to settle.
Kendeils reservoir caps from Les should do the job. This is not an advert , but a statement of fact.

In fact 135,s and 250's use exctly the same spec of cap as the HiCap so you could use more of the same

+ What Zener said.

The Armageddon has no parts which deteriorate over time so never requires any servicing.

When you do the 135s and 250, consider replacing the feedback capacitor with a film cap, rather than like for like. Opinion seems pretty strong that this is worth doing.

When I did the re-cap for my Hi-cap and 135's I got the caps from Les and was quite happy with the results.

advertisement

Back