advertisement

Rate My Bokeh

50ASHP@f1.4,0998.jpg

How about this from a leica 50mm 1.4 aspherical - shame its about 1600 sqid

No more likely to leave you hanging, Joe, than to make a tasteless joke regarding someone sister :)

Here she is in all her glory along with the Little Gay Bag that comes included.

112910373_636db09cf8_o.jpg

Bought second-hand, mint condition from a camera shop for £240 including the matching lens hood. That's about £150 under full retail or £80 under street price (where street = German website) which is not bad considering they come up relatively rarely.

Matthew

PS Regarding the Mir, Vuk, truth is I have used it very little and should really take some more pictures before passing judgement. My main problem with it is actually that the focus ring is very stiff and combined with the need to stop the lens down to get a meter reading makes the handling very s-l-o-w. Consequently it tends to stay in my bag as the 50/1.4 is such a joy to use in contrast (both egronomically and in terms of mechnical "feel"). I suspect the handling would be less of an issue for you given your metering choices.

My impression of the pictures I have taken (I have none to hand) is that it's kind of ok but they don't leap out at me in the way the really good lenses i have used do. They seem ok but a little flat and lacking in conrast and sparkle.

The build quality is also a bit iffy. It's built like a tank and I suspect if dropped it would chip concrete but the various parts seem to fit together rather poorly so they all look slightly out of kilter. Overall it's rather clunky.

As you are thinking of getting one I'll make sure to snag some pics from the Mir this weekend when I try out my new 43mm in anger.

PPS Pentax is also rumoured to be launching a new 21mm Limited in mid Summer 2006. However, this is a DA 21mm f3.2AL which means it's likely, if not certain, a pancake lens (hence the odd maximum aperture) in the style of the DA40 Limited. These DA Limiteds are reputed to be pretty good but a notch below the FA Limited. They are the ultra thin convenience models so probably are not the last word in quality.

Pentax also some weird zooms in the works -- a 50-135 f2/8 for example.

The real problem of course is that the 31mm FA Limited is £600 and rarer than hens teeth.

FWIW I also hear good things about the old manual 35mm KA Pentax whcih is meant to be closer to the 50/1.4 than the 28/2.8 in quality. Not sure on exactly model detauils alhtough I think there is only one (an f2.0).

matthew.

i have a feeling they sold you a lens that's been dropped. when i played around with the limited a year ago, the operation of the rings was as smooth as one would want. now, as for your metering problems... you know the answer to that.

the bokeh of the lens really depends on context. it can produce somewhat angular/jewel-like bokeh, as opposed to leica's creamy/translucent variety. nothing is ever ugly though.

vuk.

Vuk -- The focusing problems I mentiond is on the Mir not the Limited. The Limited is beautifully put together and the focusing ring is examplary for an AF lens.

Matthew,

Here she is in all her glory along with the Little Gay Bag that comes included.

Bought second-hand, mint condition from a camera shop for £240 including the matching lens hood. That's about £150 under full retail or £80 under street price (where street = German website) which is not bad considering they come up relatively rarely.

I have a lens like that, too -- a pancake 45mm f/2.8 "Nikkor" (it says Nikkor on it but it's made by Cosina) -- that, incidentally, also came in a faggy baggy.

photo_mf45.gif

I bought it secondhand a couple of years ago, but I don't recall what I paid for it. $175 seems to stick in my memory, which seems about right given its new street (B&H) price. It's rather sharp and contrasty with respectable tonality and bokeh, though not up to the quality of fancy Cherman glass.

Here's a very quick shot I just took with it.

112937529_dd00d61f67_o.jpg

I'm curious whether Lord Vuksanovic gives it a pass or pooh-poohs all over it. (I suspect it'll be grudgingly noted as passable if a pinhole device isn't available.)

Joe

P.S. If I could get the same quality in a 75mm Voitlander, I'd be very happy.

P.P.S. The amber colour cast wasn't intentional. That's the colour of the curtains, so little could be done to get a more neutral balance in the room.

This is the Pentax version

40mm_da_lens_l.jpg

I assume the new 21mm will be one of these and not a "proper" Limited.

Regarding the 75mm Voigtlander, my main problem was that I just dont really want a 105mm lens all that much. I'd much rather have a 35mm (after multiplier) lens.

Matthew,

Regarding the 75mm Voigtlander, my main problem was that I just dont really want a 105mm lens all that much. I'd much rather have a 35mm (after multiplier) lens.
You're missing the point. *I* want the 75mm and need you to do some market research for me. ;-)

Joe

Do you have a birthday coming up? Get Anna to buy you one and get it past her Mother by spinning it as "father daughter bonding".

Matthew

matthewr said:
PPS Pentax is also rumoured to be launching a new 21mm Limited in mid Summer 2006. However, this is a DA 21mm f3.2AL which means it's likely, if not certain, a pancake lens (hence the odd maximum aperture) in the style of the DA40 Limited. These DA Limiteds are reputed to be pretty good but a notch below the FA Limited. They are the ultra thin convenience models so probably are not the last word in quality.
No rumour - new 21/3.2 pancake announced and unveiled, waiting on availability date and price. You can take a look at it on the Pentax site http://www.pentax.co.jp/japan/news/2006/press-image/200609-05.jpg

matthewr said:
The real problem of course is that the 31mm FA Limited is £600 and rarer than hens teeth.

FWIW I also hear good things about the old manual 35mm KA Pentax whcih is meant to be closer to the 50/1.4 than the 28/2.8 in quality. Not sure on exactly model detauils alhtough I think there is only one (an f2.0).
Matthew,

I've recently got the FA35/2 and am very happy with its performance, not quite up to the 31Limited's very high standard, but not too far behind and for a fraction of the cost.

My next target will be something around the 20mm range, so would be interested in any further opinion or samples you may come up with on the Mir.

Regards,

Stuart.

I found myself with a quite terrible hangover today and so gave up pretending to work and went for a brisk walk down by the river. I took some photos with both the MIR and my new 43 Limited; photos which pretty much confirmed my impression that the MIR is good but nothing special but the 43 is Aces and Skill.

This is the MIR. A picture of one of those modern plaza developments that makes one think all architects offices have been invaded by skat0rz.

113782911_1e0f538d65_o.jpg

This is also the MIR. The generator hall at the Tate Modern.

113782822_d8b5680164_o.jpg

The rest are the 43 Limited

113782741_baedc95654_o.jpg

113782707_3e8db70b7a_o.jpg

113782966_4f85707400_o.jpg

More pictures here

Matthew

PS Thanks for the info Stuart.

i really wish!
I'm looking for a M6 and 50mm f2 - i don’t think the 'spherical one is in reach at the mo - something like (new) £799 V £1629. Ive been punting round all the Leica pages I can find and was not expecting a large difference of opinion, indeed some say they prefer the "look" of the f2 and some even that the aspherical is too sharp! It’s a fascinating subject

Martin

advertisement

Back