advertisement

Rate My Bokeh

matthewr

spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld
All,

A new lens arrived to day, so naturally the first thing I did was set up some bottles and glasses on a sunny window ledge to create a bokeh test to see if meets the standards of Chief Scientist Petrik and Imperial Lord Vuksanovic.

112847129_af1b24b484_o.jpg

112847137_a0bf2ae4b2_o.jpg

112847153_27d7a996ba_o.jpg

112847167_593d909f56_o.jpg

I hope to take some proper photographs in the next day or so.

Matthew

The Musella is very fine indeed and is avaialble from Oddbins for about £10 if I recall correctly.

Ch. d'Yquem, Sauternes GB Price £101.50
In Bond per Bottle (75 cl)

"This 2002 is a lovely vintage. It is very typical of its appellation, with beautiful, pure hints of candied fruit. It enchants the palate thanks to its marked refinement, voluptuousness and alluring freshness. This vintage is so forthcoming that it enables wine lovers to enter the univers of Yquem as of now." (Pierre Lurton - Regisseur - Château d'Yquem)

And if you drink enough, an inky blackness descends and your jaw drops.

Alex -- I do actually have a Russian lens for my Pentax -- a 20/2.5 Mir. It comes with a little leather carry case that would not have been out of place on a Red Army officer c. 1960 and a set of B&W filters that screw onto the rear element.

112873782_84a994b5d2_o.jpg

The build quality is actually not that great (it's very solid but the bits don't fit together very well) and the image quality is good but nothing special.

Matthew

matthew.

the bokeh looks very much like what you'd see on a good zeiss lens. thumbs up.

btw--i just picked up a DS2 and am thinking of the MIR lens for it. do you have any samples? how does it fall short?

vuk.

Matthew,

I'd rate your bokeh slightly below the best I've seen and certainly far above average. Given that you're very likely not using a $3k Leica lens, it's amazing.

Is this an example from the 75mm Voitlander SLR lens?

Joe

One more quick sample with some really tough specular highlights. Nice and round though with some "haloing". I'm not sure reasonable it is to expect such highlights to be rendered withouth any halo effect no matter how good the lens.

112900509_f6be25750a_o.jpg

I shall reveal the lens in question shortly once a i get a spare 10 mins.

Matthew

Matthew,

I shall reveal the lens in question shortly once a i get a spare 10 mins.
This isn't going to be a Sta||ion-esque pique-our-curiosity-then-leave-us-hanging-for-weeks thread, is it? ;-)

Joe

Matthew,

matthewr said:
I'm not sure reasonable it is to expect such highlights to be rendered withouth any halo effect no matter how good the lens.
It is hard to do, but the best lenses can render specular highlights without doughnuts. Such lenses tend toward the very expensive end of things, though.

Joe

I am sad because I waited and waited for my 'reasonably priced lens' from Amazon, and here we are five weeks later and they still cannot get it.

I think this is why its 15 quid cheaper than anywhere else, because they don't actually have one.

Tactically they made a mistake because they didn't take the cash out my bank, so I spent it on around 40 cds.

So my bokeh remains shit.

advertisement

Back