advertisement

quiet kevlar driver

john & Jake

Jake was smarter than me
Hi,
Turned the system on today and one Kevlar driver in my HB2's seems to be quieter than the other.
Swapped channels, swapped speaker sides and eventually I swapped drivers.
After I swapped drivers the quiet one changed sides so I deduced that it must be the driver and not the crossover.
The cone goes in and out freely, so I am at a loss to understand why it is quiet.

Anyone know what could be wrong with the driver, it plays but seems to lack power and volume. The good one bounces at high level, the quieter one doesn't.
:)

Measure the DCR on the driver and compare. You may have a shorted voice-coil.

Hi James, haven't got the gear to measure, but I hooked them up to my theatre system so I could use the test tone to meausure the sound levels.
The good one produces a good tone, the quiet one is quieter(obviously):D but it sounds like white noise.
Must be the coil.
Thinking back a bit I turned the amp on while the volume had been set (unknown to me):mad: at full, perhaps that did it.

Anyone know of a source for the correct kevlar driver?
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i464/Jbaldam/DSCF1890.jpg

Hi, stripped the speaker right down and wired the units without crossover, tricky with the tweeter but all went ok.
Seems that it is the tweeter that is quiet.

An Audax unit TM025F23.

Can't find the exact one but I dare say another Audax 25 mm will fit.

But if anyone can point me in the direction of an original I will be much obliged.

advertisement

Back