advertisement

Quick fun Q - In Japan - should I pick up a new cartridge while here?

I guess when being in Japan one could also look out for passive MC step-up transformer if one was so inclined?
I ordered Hashimoto step up transformers from their American (Japanese) importer. He got them delivered to my hotel in Japan.

A quick bump as I figured this crowdfunder might be of interest to one or two members who visit Tokyo.

James from Tokyo Jazz Joints is trying to raise some additional funds to help him take on the fantastic Eigakan jazz kissa.

This is a valiant effort but jazz kissas (& other music kissas) are declining for a reason. Despite the recent infatuation with them among in-the-know foreigners and the West, their raison d'etre is really not relevant any more to the modern Japanese. Access to music listening in the home and on the go these days is cheap and easy.

Personally, having been to quite a few well-known ones, I don't really find them enjoyable or that charming. The need to be overly reverential and silent combined with the expensive drink or coffee just don't really do much for me. I'd rather go chill in a nice cafe with good coffee (not necessarily easy to find!) with great jazz playing on the hifi (which is often the case).

This is a valiant effort but jazz kissas (& other music kissas) are declining for a reason. Despite the recent infatuation with them among in-the-know foreigners and the West, their raison d'etre is really not relevant any more to the modern Japanese. Access to music listening in the home and on the go these days is cheap and easy.

Personally, having been to quite a few well-known ones, I don't really find them enjoyable or that charming. The need to be overly reverential and silent combined with the expensive drink or coffee just don't really do much for me. I'd rather go chill in a nice cafe with good coffee (not necessarily easy to find!) with great jazz playing on the hifi (which is often the case).
We've discussed this before and I think it's something that either clicks with you or it doesn't. I love them - they leave you cold. That's OK.

My understanding is that Eigakan is doing just fine as a business but the master is retiring and has given James first refusal on taking it over.

If any members are passing through Kyoto this might be an interesting stop-off.

advertisement

Back