advertisement

Quad 306 psu cap recommendation

John_73

pfm Member
I’m about to replace the psu caps in a Quad 306 amplifier. I’ve left behind the era of using audiofoo branded caps and prefer to use good quality, long lasting industrial parts. Has anyone used the Kemet PEH536 types? Specs seem rather impressive at first glance:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/4340778/

Put another way, is there any reason not to go for these, and choose something else? (I know they have three pins, but one can easily be removed so they’ll fit the 10mm wide holes).

Cheers,

John.

RS-online has a tool where you can compare capacitors,
your choice of Kemet is good,
the main considerations are: physical size - will it fit on a board?, lifetime - are you going to keep the amp?, price - you can buy Vishay at half the price of Kemet, (I would not, if I was going to keep the amp).

Yes that tool is very handy - thanks. Unfortunately I noticed that the Kemet is 45mm tall, which is exactly the same height as is available in the chassis. Allowing for batch variations there’s a likely chance it might have resulted in the chassis cover being difficult to fit over the caps if any where slightly over 45mm.

So I went for Kemet ELG types from Farnell instead, 40mm tall, which still have very good specs but not quite as good as the PEH536s. Touch wood they’ll still perform superbly in the 306.

Looks good Alan
I went with Kemet 6800uF 63V ELG types in the end, and my favourite coupling caps the Vishay 136 series. Works a treat. Surprised how good the 306 sounds - subjectively it seems preferable to my 606! More meatier/punchy sound. Maybe the simpler circuit plus the whole thing being on the same PCB confers some performance advantages?
Very pleased! :)

Last edited:

advertisement

Back