advertisement

Priti Patel: Undisclosed Meetings in Israel

droodzilla

pfm Member
Mentioned on the Tory sleaze thread but it deserves its own:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41853561

According to one source, at least one of the meetings was held at the suggestion of the Israeli ambassador to London.

In contrast, British diplomats in Israel were not informed about Ms Patel's plans.

Ministers are by convention supposed to tell the Foreign Office when they are conducting official business overseas.

Downing Street said Ms Patel was on a private holiday she had paid for herself, during which she took the opportunity to meet people.

A No 10 spokesman said he had not been made aware of any concerns and there was no investigation taking place.

So that's alright then.

In considering the story it's worth keeping in mind that Patel is a former lobbyist for the tobacco industry, a supporter of the death penalty and an apologist for benefit cuts that have devastated the lives of thousands of poor and disabled people.

She is completely amoral. The lowest of the low.

Quite spectacularly dodgy, yet no huge surprise. Apparently both Labour and the Lib Dems suspect she is in breach of the Ministerial Code.

In considering the story it's worth keeping in mind that Patel is a former lobbyist for the tobacco industry, a supporter of the death penalty and an apologist for benefit cuts that have devastated the lives of thousands of poor and disabled people.

And a vocal Brexiter, to boot.
(for the avoidance of doubt, some Brexiters are lovely people. Priti Patel is not in that group, IMHO.)

I was in the same room with her once. Wasn't fun - she just came across as one of those people you can take an instant dislike to.

Now I'm really regretting using that Pritti Vacant joke a few months ago.

And she claims £25,000 pa taxpayers money for the husband to 'run her office'. He has a couple of other jobs...

Mentioned on the Tory sleaze thread but it deserves its own:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41853561

So that's alright then.

Yep... like all tories...

It disgusts me that we even have diplomatic relations with the occupiers of Palestine. That there are, in the main parties, "friends of (the foreign occupied land of Palestine)" makes me want to vomit... It's a far right, apartheid, dry docked USA aircraft carrier manned by religious extremists basically...

It gets worse. Polack is now saying that by chance he was on holiday at the same time. In Israel, that most popular holiday destination. I did not know it had turned into a Costa del Sol for the conservative party. Who'd have thought it....

Yep... like all tories...

It disgusts me that we even have diplomatic relations with the occupiers of Palestine. That there are, in the main parties, "friends of (the foreign occupied land of Palestine)" makes me want to vomit... It's a far right, apartheid, dry docked USA aircraft carrier manned by religious extremists basically...

Lovely country, lovely people, and the only country in the area where you would feel comfortable and free to do and say what you like.

Lovely country, lovely people, and the only country in the area where you would feel comfortable and free to do and say what you like.

.... so long as you're not actually from there.. ie Palestinian.
I'm sure Sun City was a lovely place for white South Africans to.

Patel is notoriously thick as a plank but she makes up for it in feral cunning. She'll have smelt money.

.... so long as you're not actually from there.. ie Palestinian.
I'm sure Sun City was a lovely place for white South Africans to.

So for how many generations does your family have to have been "there"? Is an Israeli Jew whose great grandparents came from Russia in 1890 less "from there" than an Israeli Arab whose grandparents came from Egypt or Lebanon in 1920? Jewish investment "there" began in the late 19th century, attracting lots of Arabs from the surrounding area, many of whom had descendants who are today Israeli citizens. How many Jews are today citizens of Arab countries?

I grant you that the Zionist dream, and its development, to a great extent ignored the presence, and reaction, of the Arab population. But Israel is today a thriving, technologically advanced, liberal Western democracy, while the surrounding Arab countries are in a horrible mess.

From what you write it seems you think that only Israel is responsible for anything horrible in that part of the world. But I think this is by no means the case. Also, remember that there was a very substantial population, a minority but substantial, of Jews living in all the Arab countries, from Syria (of which Palestine was a province) right down to what is today Saudi Arabia, in Iraq and Persia, and all over North Africa. You can't just reduce hundreds of years of complex history to a "dry-docked aircraft carrier manned by religious extremists." Most Israelis are not at all religious. The dangerous religious extremists are elsewhere.

I did think about starting a thread for this news story earlier but I just knew it would just turn into the usual cyclic Israel arguments followed by accusations of anti semitism being thrown around.

Exactly - you started it!

I grant you that the Zionist dream, and its development, to a great extent ignored the presence, and reaction, of the Arab population. But Israel is today a thriving, technologically advanced, liberal Western democracy, while the surrounding Arab countries are in a horrible mess.

obvious epic lack of joined up thinking is obvious

The salient point about it all is that, had Priti done the same with a country such as Russia, she'd have been sacked and facing a criminal investigation.

advertisement

Back