advertisement

Prefab Sprout -Lets Change The World With Music

irons1965

pfm Member
What with all the furore about The Beatles and the remasters this week, no one has even mentioned Paddy McAloon's new(ish) album released today.
I've just had it on over dinnertime and its (predictably) outstanding.
Really refreshing to hear melodies for a change (to think this release was shelved after the "Jordan..." LP is astonishing, 17+years old in essence).
Anyone else bought it?

I have - should be here tommorow. Paddy's looking a little mad these days

He might look like an old eccentric English gent but listening to the man speak on Radio 2 last weekend he is in surprisingly good spirits after all his health problems in recent times.

It's been universally well reviewed as far as I can tell and is high on my post-payday shopping list.

sweet. I was listening to all the old albums a few weeks ago. I'll have to get this one.

I did buy one of his solo CD's last year and it was utter tosh. Sort of new wave classical. Out of his depth or gone quite bonkers probably.

Still Jordan was a good album so this has to be worth a go.

cheers

sweet. I was listening to all the old albums a few weeks ago. I'll have to get this one.

I did buy one of his solo CD's last year and it was utter tosh. Sort of new wave classical. Out of his depth or gone quite bonkers probably.

Still Jordan was a good album so this has to be worth a go.

cheers

The one you are talking about is his only solo effort in name called "I Trawl The Megaherz" and it did polarise opinion (doesn't some of the best stuff do that anyway?).
The man had some terrible health problems at the time, was going blind and the album was made and inspired by listening to short wave radio broadcasts (to be fair Paddy was so ill he couldn't do much else but listen at that time).
Certainly would not agree with him being out of his depth and he was not bonkers- The record is very personal and quite extraordinary, I love it.

It's been universally well reviewed as far as I can tell and is high on my post-payday shopping list.

Listening to it again last night, it really do embarrass most stuff being released at the moment by anyone...Try the track "Earth: The Story So Far" and listen to the instrumental beginning, its like something from another planet...Jaw dropping and so melodic.

Thanks for the tip-off. I really loved Swoon and Steve McQueen but hated all the Hot Dog stuff. Also saw them live when Swoon was just out and they were great.
I shall defiinitely give the new one a listen.

Thanks for the tip-off. I really loved Swoon and Steve McQueen but hated all the Hot Dog stuff. Also saw them live when Swoon was just out and they were great.

I must admit to loving most of their stuff but like yourself those first two
LP's were brilliant.
I cannot believe Paddy dismisses "Swoon" so readily....Only weak track on it for me was "Ghost Town Blues".

I like em too i have,

Swoon / steve mcqueen / protest songs / jordan the comeback , i love them all

Must get King of rock n roll tho as i had that years ago ,but its gone missing ?

Certain tracks on the latest one remind me of Marvin's "Whats Going On" not only in spirit but I can hear melodic similarities between the two records as well.

i had no idea he had been so ill, poor guy. I have all of his stuff too. I only saw them play once - in portsmouth around 1990. fanatistic show

I must admit to loving most of their stuff but like yourself those first two
LP's were brilliant.
I cannot believe Paddy dismisses "Swoon" so readily....Only weak track on it for me was "Ghost Town Blues".

Keeping things in perspective here (as I know the new album is basically Paddy's demos), I prefer to listen to it in the car rather than on the hi fi...There is far too much bloom on the bass on a lot of the tracks (it almost sounds compressed which is surprising considering it was Calum Malcolm that was involved in the engineering).
Has anybody else found this?:confused:

advertisement

Back