advertisement

Pre Raspberry Pi delivery question please.

Kennyh,
Now that you've succeeded in setting up you Pi with the help of others, you may want to take advantage of the hardware volume control capability of the IQaudIO dac...

To do this open the piCorePlayer webpage in 'Beta mode' and open the 'Squeezelite Settings' tab. Once there type 'Digital' in the ALSA volume control field and then press Save.

This won't matter if you're already playing your piCorePlayer at full blast, but it helps otherwise

Nice one and thanks. I'll have a look at that tomorrow.

I've seen the Audiophonics cards.Where do I source these?

Me too, I'll give one a go too. It's just nice to own a piece of kit you are the master of. A bit of fun, cheap enough to lob in the bin if it's crap and no worries if it bombs! Sounding as it does is an unexpected bonus.

At the end of the day it was just a bit of fun after reading favourable posts, I suppose similar to building an Airfix Spitfire out of devilment, however the results are very funny and buck the trend of what I thought was possible with regards to both SQ and bullshit:D

I've seen the Audiophonics cards.Where do I source these?

Drop me a pm with your address and I'll pop one in the post for you to evaluate.

I have one I run alternatively with pcp and Moode (spotify connect on the MoOde).

atb

Ronnie.

I can also visit most Saturdays (bath night on Friday :p;) )

It's been a pleasure to help. If you ever fancy adding a touchscreen let me know. It's just a question purchasing a screen and a stand £65 and installing jivelite(installed from the Picoreplayer pages) and you will have a nice now playing screen with other features. Mine looks the bees knees in my set up. Don't want to distract you too much though.

Del, which screen are you using? I fancy one..

This thread prompted me to re-evaluate the Pi 3 that has been sitting doing nothing under the TV for about a year now. I've no interest in streaming, so that was out, so I've gone the other way and built it into a Fuze case and I'll use it to have a look at the programming languages kids are bing taught these days (I've been planning to for a long while as it will be very useful for my part-time museum computer geekery).

32656436592_90c2490b21_b.jpg

Looks like a BBC Model B! Yay \o/

I've spent the afternoon reacquainting myself with Basic. A rather different implementation than I remember (very vaguely) from the BBC B but great fun.

PS How much Linux irritates me all comes instantly flooding back - it's like a far uglier OS X that doesn't work properly! Never mind, this computer is now just for Basic, Scratch & Python and a retro '80s vibe!

This thread prompted me to re-evaluate the Pi 3 that has been sitting doing nothing under the TV for about a year now. I've no interest in streaming, so that was out, so I've gone the other way and built it into a Fuze case and I'll use it to have a look at the programming languages kids are bing taught these days (I've been planning to for a long while as it will be very useful for my part-time museum computer geekery).

32656436592_90c2490b21_b.jpg

Looks like a BBC Model B! Yay \o/

I've spent the afternoon reacquainting myself with Basic. A rather different implementation than I remember (very vaguely) from the BBC B but great fun.

PS How much Linux irritates me all comes instantly flooding back - it's like a far uglier OS X that doesn't work properly! Never mind, this computer is now just for Basic, Scratch & Python and a retro '80s vibe!

Makes me want to get out my old zx81.

That looks neat Tony. How have you connected the old keyboard to the RPI out of interest?

I take it you'll use the TV as a monitor?

Web capabilities too I'm assuming. I'd like to have seen you start another thread about other uses for the PI apart from hifi, I'm interested too in what else people put these to use as.

Now, that audiophonics dac, yes it does look well put together. I take it I could just do a straight swap for the iqaudio dac+ and no settings would have to be changed. I can't think of anything I did in the set up that solely refers to the current board.

Cheers

That looks neat Tony. How have you connected the old keyboard to the RPI out of interest?

I take it you'll use the TV as a monitor?

Web capabilities too I'm assuming. I'd like to have seen you start another thread about other uses for the PI apart from hifi, I'm interested too in what else people put these to use as.

It is a modern case/keyboard, just in a retro BBC Micro style. It is designed for the education market. The Pi is inside and is hooked up internally to the USB, audio, network and HDMI sockets on thr case rear and the electronics prototyping patchbay etc on the top. It arguably makes the various inputs and outputs easier to access and the casework is quite robust being metal.

To be honest I doubt I'll do much more than play around with Basic for my own retro entertainment and Scratch and Python just to get a handle on what kids are being taught (I volunteer a day a week at MOSI explaining/demonstrating a vintage computer so often have to contend with large groups of kids). Obviously the Fuze/Pi makes for a reasonable backup/emergency computer for web access etc, but it can't do anything I can't do a lot better on my Mac or even iPad in that respect.

The Fuze Linux installation is rather nice but very stripped down and focussing on programming etc, but I've got several SD cards so booting it with Rasparian or Ubuntu Mate (which irritates me no end as it is so buggy) is no issue. I'm actually waiting until there is a good stable Pi 3 build of RISC OS as I'd like to try that out of curiosity (Jim Audiomisc is a big fan) and it apparently has proper BBC Basic amongst other things.

PS The keyboard is indeed better than a ZX81, though it is certainly no IBM Model M or even BBC B, it is the same flat short-travel affair one finds on typical laptops.

PPS Embarrassed by how filthy the carpet looks in the pic, in many ways it is as I build bikes, solder etc in this room, but it is not quite as bad as it looks in the pic! It was an electric light shot with fluorescent on one side and halogen on the other so the colour balance is off!

Don't worry about carpets Tony, it's home.

I had a feeling after I posted it may be a retro pad, I'm amazed at how many of the old classics are now being reintroduced with modern innards.

Shame you've not tried the pi as a part of the hifi. You know me, I play with a lot of stuff and it is easy after a while to know what's ok, what's great and what's poor.

This little set up is astounding, another well known stand alone dac was brought to our house last night and we did tests with 4 altogether. Ok 3 were being used via chromecast and the PI stood alone.

PI was the best, maybe the chromecast was the week link I don't know but for a first try it is more than a match for the pricier stuff it was up against yesterday.

Only scratching the surface too, I'm reading reports of dac cards for these with amazing specs, and it's so easy to try them with no pain.

A mate made what I thought was a great analogy when I said it's incredible for the money as opposed to the main stream offerings.

He raced Motorbikes Nationally. He rebuilt his own engines and made parts for them in his workshop.
Other guys would employ well known respectable race engine builders on theirs.

A guy may then say, "my engine cost 4k" to build, whereas my mate's stood him at far less as he'd built it himself, set it up himself and didn't need warranty's or the like. He won 3 championships so his engines must have been "at least" as good as shop bought at a fraction of the price.

Now, that audiophonics dac, yes it does look well put together. I take it I could just do a straight swap for the iqaudio dac+ and no settings would have to be changed. I can't think of anything I did in the set up that solely refers to the current board.

Cheers

You just change the output in Squeezelite.

As Del does not seem interested, you can borrow one I have if you want, see my post on the previous page.

ronnie

You just change the output in Squeezelite.

As Del does not seem interested, you can borrow one I have if you want, see my post on the previous page.

ronnie

Many thanks for that Ronnie. On the output in Squeezelite, without checking but I'm sure it just says picore and doesn't say iqaudio dac+, I'll have to re check that.

Thanks for the kind offer too re the loan of that trick looking board.
I think I'll just play what I have for a month or two now and learn the ropes first.

Later down the line it will certainly be a bit of real interest to start experimenting with other Dac boards, and that one of yours is high on the list.

Cheers

PS The keyboard is indeed better than a ZX81, though it is certainly no IBM Model M or even BBC B, it is the same flat short-travel affair one finds on typical laptops.

I love my IBM M recreation keyboards, but they are too loud when I am on a teleconference... :)

Man in a van,
Could you post a screenshot showing the other output devices available?
Thanks.

advertisement

Back