advertisement

Pre Raspberry Pi delivery question please.

Thanks guys once more, cheers Del.

Interesting what you say rallye666. I've ordered the IQ audio PI3 dac bundle.

I thought I had the choice of either streaming to my standalone dac or using the PI dac that comes with it. From what you say it seems I have to order up another board to achieve the former?

Also speaking to Gordon I asked about changing the IQauadio dac for the Dac pro, he said not to bother as I'll be well happy with the performance of the supplied DAC. Other blokes have also said it is excellent.

You did not rate yours, obviously for a good reason.

What did you compare it against? Was it very poor to your ears or just not as good as your standalone? Could settings affect the way it sounds?

For the price it's none risk anyway. I'm trying it solely to see if I can set it up and also because as I said earlier some chaps feeding it to high end kit are singing its praises. I'm fascinated how the verdict varies so much with this.

Should be very interesting, I'll certainly be telling it like it is when mine is set up;)

My setup at the time was either pi & IQ audio DAC into a Creek Destiny 2 amplifier, or a pi & hifiberry digi+ into a Jolida Tube DAC (then to the same amp)

I definitely preferred the pi as a transport rather then a DAC.

I was using an HD Plex LPS to power the pi, so not sure on sound differences with the standard supply.

Theres quite a few boards to choose from nowadays, one is coming soon that has AES digital out, so that will be my upgrade I think.

Haha, I won't I promise. I owe you a beer when this makes its first noise mate, seriously.

Many thanks for those latest instructions, It's a bugger I have to go out shortly myself but hope maybe to have a dabble later on tonight, I'm fascinated with the whole concept to be honest, good dark winter night plaything this is.

Again, huge thanks and I'll report back as soon as I've sorted the next phase.

Hoping to use an android phone or tablet as a remote by the way.

Have a great evening.

Well.You are half way to paradise. Treat it as a journey. I bet you were proud of yourself when you got to the web page. It's a paticular area of audio that has a lot to offer if you're prepared to delve into it. If you get it it opens doors to other exciting things. There will be frustrations but I have found that with perseverance these are surmountable and hogely satisfying once accomplished. If you build it you feel a greater sense of ownership and pride, despite the fact that it's just a computer board in a box! After you manage to get the server going you'll probably need to configure your add on Dac. If you go onto the apSqueezelite page you'll find an output tab. If you click on it you may find your Dac named in the list. Then follow the instructions to configure the output. Save. Go to Main page, click back up and then reboot. There is IPeng remote for android I believe but if not there is a remote called Orange Squeeze I believe. I use Apple so may not be 100% on that. Fiddle away but don't stay up too Kate, especially if it takes wing!!

Orange squeeze development seems to have ceased a long time ago.

There are free apps for both apple and Android.

This is still being updated and the developer has a thread on the slimdevices forum.

https://angrygoatapps.com/sqzctrl_android.html

I run this on a motog 1st gen phone and a Lenovo yoga tab3 (to run the app on a tablet requires an in app purchase)

Logitech Squeezebox Controller for android should be fine.

This stopped working a couple or three lolipops/marshmellows ago.

A free solution is to open LMS in a Chrome browser and then tap on the browser "menu" dots in top right corner, select "more tools" from the drop-down, then "add to desktop" and place a short-cut in the Desktop

Edit: should add, that the fat of finger might find this a tad daunting, lol.

I've tried the Logitech app, and Squeezer (free) on Android, and neither work well with LMS 7.9, because of the additional search categories it provides, which mean that the normal AlbumArtist search doesn't work.

I'm using Orange Squeeze, not found any problems with it so far.

I've tried the Logitech app, and Squeezer (free) on Android, and neither work well with LMS 7.9, because of the additional search categories it provides, which mean that the normal AlbumArtist search doesn't work.

I'm using Orange Squeeze, not found any problems with it so far.

Thanks for this guys.Orange Squeeze looks like it might be the android go to. Kenny,remember to create an account at MySqueezebox.com. This will give you your apps, including Tidal. There are other options with Ickstream but for now this is your best port of call. Once your other bits are configured I'll let you know how to do this.

I prefer to simply use the normal LMS web interface on my android laptop.

First issue hit which I'm googling about now.

Ipcoreplayer successfully installed, I go to main page and press the Beta tab as suggested. Page does say Squeezelite is running.

I hit the LMS tab at the top and it goes to the next page but it then says LMS not running.

So stuck at the moment.

Loads of options to reboot etc. but don't want to cock things up straight away:D

Cheers

First issue hit which I'm googling about now.

Ipcoreplayer successfully installed, I go to main page and press the Beta tab as suggested. Page does say Squeezelite is running.

I hit the LMS tab at the top and it goes to the next page but it then says LMS not running.

So stuck at the moment.

Loads of options to reboot etc. but don't want to cock things up straight away:D

Cheers

1)

Click on Squeezelite settings

at audio output click on drop down and select your dac hat from the list
click on save

Squeezelite wil restart.

2)
clcick on main page tab, click on resize FS
follow instructions and reboot (I think from memory)

3)
click on LMS tab, click on install LMS, click on autostart LMS, click on configure LMS

Many thanks Man in Van. Hopefully I've now got LMS running. Will follow your steps now and report back. Cheers

PS I want to set it up with the on board iqaudio dac first.

+1 for Orange Squeeze, seems to work fine. The Logitech android app doesn't work at all now, and the Squeeze Ctrl app has a problem with its Chromecast functionality, that they seem unable to fix. I have tried playing via my TV's Chromecast using a LMS plugin, and it works, but any other synchronised players have to run at 16/44.1 and don't seem to be very happy about it. It's ok if I don't sync, but in reality, I rarely need to play music via the TV.
So, at the moment, even though its not "in development" Orange Squeeze would be my choice.

Thanks again Man in van, another step closer I hope.

Think I'm almost there, everything seems fine but I can't log in to my Tidal account on the logitec page to set the app up.

A red "stop" sign appears, I put my user name and password in but it doesn't seem to recognise it. Any ideas please.

Just logged in and out of Tidal on laptap so username and password are correct.

Many thanks

PS

If I carry on struggling with Tidal is there a quick way to get some music through it to see if its working?

Thanks again Man in van, another step closer I hope.

Think I'm almost there, everything seems fine but I can't log in to my Tidal account on the logitec page to set the app up.

A red "stop" sign appears, I put my user name and password in but it doesn't seem to recognise it. Any ideas please.

Just logged in and out of Tidal on laptap so username and password are correct.

Many thanks

PS

If I carry on struggling with Tidal is there a quick way to get some music through it to see if its working?

to check the dac works:
Turn down your amplifier volume
on the LMS web gui, click on favourites, add this url

http://stream-uk1.radioparadise.com/aac-320

at top right corner select player from drom down.

Click on Settings, bottom right hand corner and then on the Player tab, select audio> from the basic settings dropdown and at volume control enable 100% output, click save then return to the first screen and hit the play button.
turn up amp to 11.
post back if you want instructions for Tidal or wait for Del, you will need an account at MySqueezebox.com (these are free)

Thanks once more for that, appreciated.

I will follow those instructions right now and report back. I have in fact just done the account on the Logitec site I think.

A great help.

For tidal
log onto mysqueezebox.com
click on App gallery
scroll to botom and select Tidal, click on install app
click on configure and complete.
go back to the LMS web gui and select settings and click on the MYSqueezebox.com tab and fill in your registration details, restart L MS (you do this from the picoreplayer web page, there is a restart button).
after restart, refresh the Settings LMS web gui and select the Advanced tab, scroll down and see if Tidal is there (I have not done this part before so I'm not sure if there is anything to "set".
Go the the first LMS web gui and select My Apps, Tidal should be there . click and see if it works

Wow, many thanks for all this effort Man. I managed to get your link into the squeezebox favourites but sound came out of laptop instead of hifi.

I have disabled the realtek soundcard in the laptop now, don't know whether that was needed.

I'll have another bash now with you Tidal tips.

Again very much appreciate the help.

I have to go out for a few hours now.

What I will do is pick up a new micro sd card, as I don't want to overwrite or corrupt what I've already done.

I will then flash the IQAUDIO test files on to it just to make sure all is well with the hardware, then I'll continue to try and get Tidal running through Squeeze/picore etc.

Also realised now that a app for android remote is not essential for me, quite happy using the laptop to control things for now when I eventually set it up.

Thanks again

advertisement

Back