advertisement

Pre Raspberry Pi delivery question please.

The wifi may hold. Mine does in the kitchen. The built in wifi isn't top notch apparently. You can try. Do you have an Airport express because it can be used as a wireless Ethernet Bridge though it's another complex set up I'm afraid. Home plugs are useful and reliable.

We can only try it Del. Thanks mate.

Shame, as I was hoping its wifi would be enough to set it up and run it.

If you go here

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/how-to-1

and follow the instructions for Raspberry A+ you can set up wifi without a lan connection.

Connect the pi to your TV with a HDMI cable and watch the set up run, you can get the pi IP address from the screen.

This does work, I have just done it.

Up to you if you use it :)

The rpi wifi is not too bad, especially if you use a plastic, or no case.
I run most of my pi without a case.

atb

ronnie

FWIW, I use an RPI2b as a Kodi box as part of my main system. This is my main streamer for music. Sounds excellent and does super clever things for video (eg, automatic subtitling). The iplayer plugin also allows you to configure custom access to the API to the very highest quality streams. I use a standard Chromecast to pick up the streaming services I can't get KODI to handle properly (Spotify, Netflix, 4OD etc.) and as a Plex client for the rest of the family. I found the wireless connection to be unsuitable for lossless music as it dropped out constantly. I don't plan to replace it until they put a gigabit ethernet port on it.

I also have a Moode build which I made up for this device - setting up wireless was a PITA and I could discern no audible difference in reproduction quality over KODI.

Thanks guys. 400 quid power supply :D

Interesting set up via TV idea, how would you control what's on the screen though as I could on the Laptop?

Foxy, thanks for the info. Worrying you say the wifi was naff for lossless streaming as that's what I want to use it for.

You are using the RPI2 though I read in your post, I didn't think that had wifi.

This is the RPI3, hoping it's different.

Many thanks

Try installing PiCorePlayer.

If you don't fancy plugging the PI3 into your tv, simply plug the Pi into the ethernet port on your broadband router/hub, power the Pi3 on. Watch the IP address (DHCP) table on the router/hub, through its web page (easy on a BT Hub). Once the hub has handed out the IP addr, access the PiCorePlayer's web config through http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replace with IP addr).

Simple :)

I have two Pi3s, one streaming to the hifi, one for my daughter's bedroom system (both on wifi) and a Pi2 as a LMS server, all running PiCorePlayer.

No expert here, but I managed to get mine up and running by creading a bootable SD card on my Mac for whatever operating system I wanted (I've tried Ubuntu Mate and Raspberrian so far) and then booting the Pi with it and connecting it to my wi-fi at that point.

I love the idea of the Pi, but I've yet to think of anything I really want to use it for! It is just sitting around doing nothing until I figure that bit out!

Setup a Pi-Hole....
https://pi-hole.net/

Best thing I ever did!

Try installing PiCorePlayer.

If you don't fancy plugging the PI3 into your tv, simply plug the Pi into the ethernet port on your broadband router/hub, power the Pi3 on. Watch the IP address (DHCP) table on the router/hub, through its web page (easy on a BT Hub). Once the hub has handed out the IP addr, access the PiCorePlayer's web config through http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replace with IP addr).

Simple :)

I have two Pi3s, one streaming to the hifi, one for my daughter's bedroom system (both on wifi) and a Pi2 as a LMS server, all running PiCorePlayer.

Thanks very much Chilly. Installing Ipcoreplayer is indeed my first aim when the PI arrives plus win32diskimager, did you install that too? I realised I had to plug it in to the router for initial set up via info given here, is he TV method just an alternative?

Great to know you are streaming to the hifi on it. You have no Ethernet connected to it at all now it's set up?

Have you managed to stream tidal yet which is my aim?

Router is SKY so hoping it's as simple as your experience with the BT hub.

Great info and thanks again.

I suggested connecting to a TV so that you could confirm the install of the wifi and get the IP address.
When that is done and you have the IP, unplug and install it where you want then configure pcp headless by typing the IP address into a browser search bar.

Cheers for that. Using the telly as opposed to plumbing in to the router would certainly be easier for me. I'll certainly give it a go first off and follow the link posted.
Many thanks

Swotting up frantically before it comes a lot of info. seems to say it still needs connecting to an Ethernet connection.
This poses a slight problem as my router is firmly lodged in the corner of the "junk room", a place nobody dare's go :D

It's going to be a right PITA

Get a loooong ethernet lead.

Thanks very much Chilly. Installing Ipcoreplayer is indeed my first aim when the PI arrives plus win32diskimager, did you install that too? I realised I had to plug it in to the router for initial set up via info given here, is he TV method just an alternative?

Great to know you are streaming to the hifi on it. You have no Ethernet connected to it at all now it's set up?

Have you managed to stream tidal yet which is my aim?

Router is SKY so hoping it's as simple as your experience with the BT hub.

Great info and thanks again.

Using the TV will give you a display to see the Pi booting. If you attach a USB keyboard to the Pi you can login to PiCorePlayer using,
username: tc
password: piCore

Have a look here for lots of details. :)

I've used win32diskimager before, works fine and simple to use.

Tidal is available as a plugin for LMS (Logitech Media Server - installed from PiCorePlayer)

Tidal is available as a plugin for LMS (Logitech Media Server - installed from PiCorePlayer)

Also available from MySqueezebox.com. Last year I helped a wammer to set up a Squeezebox Touch as a Tidal streamer, it's all he uses.

There is also the Ickstream plugin on LMS

Thanks Chilly, great news.

Anyway just been out and have sorted the Ethernet issue I hope, so much so I may even use it full time on the PI.

With only having 2 sockets behind the rack I was always going to struggle.
However I saw in Maplins a "pass through" home plug that plugs in but has a a 3 pin socket on the outside. I bought a set.

I also bought a nice quality IEC male connector which I will fit to the MDAC power supply thus enabling it to connect straight on to the spare head I have on the Grahams Hydra I use to power the rest, which is of course fused itself.

So all hifi gear powered by the Hydra from socket one, home plug and extension on socket two in case I want to use a laptop or a charger.

We're getting there, just need the Raspberry thingy now :D

Sound like you're on your way Kenny. I also use a Sky Router.No problems with it.its been very reliable with plenty of bandwidth for the job. I think I used thevTV last time and it's a very visual guide but I think I had Ethernet in originally before transferring to wireless. Could be worth trying with home plug.

advertisement

Back