1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre Raspberry Pi delivery question please.

Discussion in 'audio' started by kennyh, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

The wifi may hold. Mine does in the kitchen. The built in wifi isn't top notch apparently. You can try. Do you have an Airport express because it can be used as a wireless Ethernet Bridge though it's another complex set up I'm afraid. Home plugs are useful and reliable.

2. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Home plugs it is Del! Cheers.

3. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

If you go here

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/how-to-1

and follow the instructions for Raspberry A+ you can set up wifi without a lan connection.

Connect the pi to your TV with a HDMI cable and watch the set up run, you can get the pi IP address from the screen.

This does work, I have just done it.

Up to you if you use it :)

The rpi wifi is not too bad, especially if you use a plastic, or no case.
    I run most of my pi without a case.

atb

ronnie

4. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

You will need a £400 linear psu though to get the best out of it:D:D:D

5. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

FWIW, I use an RPI2b as a Kodi box as part of my main system. This is my main streamer for music. Sounds excellent and does super clever things for video (eg, automatic subtitling). The iplayer plugin also allows you to configure custom access to the API to the very highest quality streams. I use a standard Chromecast to pick up the streaming services I can't get KODI to handle properly (Spotify, Netflix, 4OD etc.) and as a Plex client for the rest of the family. I found the wireless connection to be unsuitable for lossless music as it dropped out constantly. I don't plan to replace it until they put a gigabit ethernet port on it.

I also have a Moode build which I made up for this device - setting up wireless was a PITA and I could discern no audible difference in reproduction quality over KODI.

6. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Thanks guys. 400 quid power supply :D

Interesting set up via TV idea, how would you control what's on the screen though as I could on the Laptop?

Foxy, thanks for the info. Worrying you say the wifi was naff for lossless streaming as that's what I want to use it for.

You are using the RPI2 though I read in your post, I didn't think that had wifi.

This is the RPI3, hoping it's different.

Many thanks

7. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

Try installing PiCorePlayer.

If you don't fancy plugging the PI3 into your tv, simply plug the Pi into the ethernet port on your broadband router/hub, power the Pi3 on. Watch the IP address (DHCP) table on the router/hub, through its web page (easy on a BT Hub). Once the hub has handed out the IP addr, access the PiCorePlayer's web config through http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replace with IP addr).

Simple :)

I have two Pi3s, one streaming to the hifi, one for my daughter's bedroom system (both on wifi) and a Pi2 as a LMS server, all running PiCorePlayer.

8. sam_cat

sam_cat ʇɐɔ_ɯɐs

Setup a Pi-Hole....
    https://pi-hole.net/

Best thing I ever did!

9. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Thanks very much Chilly. Installing Ipcoreplayer is indeed my first aim when the PI arrives plus win32diskimager, did you install that too? I realised I had to plug it in to the router for initial set up via info given here, is he TV method just an alternative?

Great to know you are streaming to the hifi on it. You have no Ethernet connected to it at all now it's set up?

Have you managed to stream tidal yet which is my aim?

Router is SKY so hoping it's as simple as your experience with the BT hub.

Great info and thanks again.

10. onlyconnect

onlyconnect pfm Member

This is just a Windows utility that lets you zap a Pi operating system onto an SD card. You need a card reader for your PC. It doesn't install on the Pi itself.

Tim

11. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Cool thanks.

12. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

I suggested connecting to a TV so that you could confirm the install of the wifi and get the IP address.
    When that is done and you have the IP, unplug and install it where you want then configure pcp headless by typing the IP address into a browser search bar.

13. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Cheers for that. Using the telly as opposed to plumbing in to the router would certainly be easier for me. I'll certainly give it a go first off and follow the link posted.
    Many thanks

14. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

Get a loooong ethernet lead.

15. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Aye, it would have to be long too :D

16. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

Using the TV will give you a display to see the Pi booting. If you attach a USB keyboard to the Pi you can login to PiCorePlayer using,
    username: tc
    password: piCore

Have a look here for lots of details. :)

I've used win32diskimager before, works fine and simple to use.

Tidal is available as a plugin for LMS (Logitech Media Server - installed from PiCorePlayer)

17. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

Also available from MySqueezebox.com. Last year I helped a wammer to set up a Squeezebox Touch as a Tidal streamer, it's all he uses.

There is also the Ickstream plugin on LMS

18. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Thanks Chilly, great news.

Anyway just been out and have sorted the Ethernet issue I hope, so much so I may even use it full time on the PI.

With only having 2 sockets behind the rack I was always going to struggle.
    However I saw in Maplins a "pass through" home plug that plugs in but has a a 3 pin socket on the outside. I bought a set.

I also bought a nice quality IEC male connector which I will fit to the MDAC power supply thus enabling it to connect straight on to the spare head I have on the Grahams Hydra I use to power the rest, which is of course fused itself.

So all hifi gear powered by the Hydra from socket one, home plug and extension on socket two in case I want to use a laptop or a charger.

We're getting there, just need the Raspberry thingy now :D

19. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

Sound like you're on your way Kenny. I also use a Sky Router.No problems with it.its been very reliable with plenty of bandwidth for the job. I think I used thevTV last time and it's a very visual guide but I think I had Ethernet in originally before transferring to wireless. Could be worth trying with home plug.

20. kennyh

kennyh pfm Member

Cheers Del, thanks for that. It's about time I took your 24hr helpline number now I reckon :D