advertisement

Power rating for diy-cap transformer

natzev_i

pfm Member
Hi,
It seems I have to order custom build transformer with dual center-tapped secondaries for my diy-cap project. What current and power capabilities should I ask for?
IIRC Hi-Cap uses 350VA toroidal but it’ll be too big for non-toridal designs.
What would you recommend?
Thanks,
Ivo

Thanks Dave,
Of course you’re right – it’s 500VA- my mistake, sorry.
It seems though the power ratings for the toroids are way too high than those for the C-/R-cores for the same purpose. Carl mentions he uses 30VA EI-core from Les with good results – it’s 17 times weaker than the toroid in the original HiCap!!!
Now I am really confused what to order :confused:

If you are looking to clone a hi-cap, then using a large transformer remains worthwhile (it is not a lot more expensive than even a small transformer).

But if you are going to be experimenting with gyrators and superregs, then such a large device may no longer be necessary to get equal or better results - although it will still work, obviously!

Martin,
I am about to assemble the two PSU kits I bought from White Noise couple of months ago (just before David closed his business). The latest WhiteNoise Regs use the same Walt Jung design as the ALWSuperRegs do.
It seems the toroids are more popular and easy to locate/order.
So, in my case if I go the “toriod” way do you thing I still need 500VA and up for the SRegs or 200-300VA will do the job with same results?

Ivo, if you're having these kind of supply problems, I'll take the risk by sending you a couple of transformers. If they arrive then you can pay for them - if not, not much lost I suppose. Be with you next week (5-7 days according to Parcel Farce)

That’s great news Les!
If everything goes OK I’ll order the other bits I’ll need (caps, din-plugs, cables – you know) but when I get back since I’m leaving at the end of next week for a month.
Do you still have my credit card number? – if not I’ll call you next week.
Thanks a lot!
Ivo

advertisement

Back