1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Power rating for diy-cap transformer

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by natzev_i, Oct 13, 2006.

1. natzev_i

natzev_i pfm Member

Hi,
    It seems I have to order custom build transformer with dual center-tapped secondaries for my diy-cap project. What current and power capabilities should I ask for?
    IIRC Hi-Cap uses 350VA toroidal but it’ll be too big for non-toridal designs.
    What would you recommend?
    Thanks,
    Ivo

2. Wilky

Wilky pfm Member

Ivo...IFAIK the Hi-Caps use 500VA toroidals.

Look on the Acoustica Site (Martin Clark's) for some guidance on Naim PSU's + some of Teddy Pardo's thread on PFM.

Here is a link to Martin's site.

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/naim/powersupplies.html

Regards Dave.

3. natzev_i

natzev_i pfm Member

Thanks Dave,
    Of course you’re right – it’s 500VA- my mistake, sorry.
    It seems though the power ratings for the toroids are way too high than those for the C-/R-cores for the same purpose. Carl mentions he uses 30VA EI-core from Les with good results – it’s 17 times weaker than the toroid in the original HiCap!!!
    Now I am really confused what to order :confused:

4. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

If you are looking to clone a hi-cap, then using a large transformer remains worthwhile (it is not a lot more expensive than even a small transformer).

But if you are going to be experimenting with gyrators and superregs, then such a large device may no longer be necessary to get equal or better results - although it will still work, obviously!

5. natzev_i

natzev_i pfm Member

Martin,
    I am about to assemble the two PSU kits I bought from White Noise couple of months ago (just before David closed his business). The latest WhiteNoise Regs use the same Walt Jung design as the ALWSuperRegs do.
    It seems the toroids are more popular and easy to locate/order.
    So, in my case if I go the “toriod” way do you thing I still need 500VA and up for the SRegs or 200-300VA will do the job with same results?

6. LesW

LesW Making electronics make music

Ivo, if you're having these kind of supply problems, I'll take the risk by sending you a couple of transformers. If they arrive then you can pay for them - if not, not much lost I suppose. Be with you next week (5-7 days according to Parcel Farce)

7. natzev_i

natzev_i pfm Member

That’s great news Les!
    If everything goes OK I’ll order the other bits I’ll need (caps, din-plugs, cables – you know) but when I get back since I’m leaving at the end of next week for a month.
    Do you still have my credit card number? – if not I’ll call you next week.
    Thanks a lot!
    Ivo