1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Power leads, interconnects and speaker cable.

Discussion in 'audio' started by mandryka, Sep 13, 2017.

1. mandryka

mandryka Active Member

Hello everyone

I have, I think, a moderate quality if old fashioned system - Quad ESL 63 /Gradiant for speakers, input is via a Museatex idat44 (modified) (the music streams through a squeezebox), amplification is all Quad, a Quad 44 (modified) and a Quad 520f. I listen to classical music - mostly harpsichord and organ and small vocal groups in fact.

I have never investigated leads. Right now I'm using very cheap stuff - bought mostly with no thought at all, from Maplin or the lowest price eBay products.

I'd like to explore the impact of better leads. Where is the best place to begin - power, interconnects (which?) or speaker cable? Any suggestions for a good brand to try? One that won't cost me an arm and a leg, but will give me a sense of what can be achieved by upgrading this area of my system.

2. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Wait for it. How do you decide which advice to follow?

3. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

There will be no improvement there may be the very slightest difference.
    Keith

4. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

mandrake,

Unless you have RF problems, the most important thing is to ensure that the various connections are clean. Usually all cleaning requires is disconnecting and reconnecting a cable several times -- with the system powered off, obviously.

If you want to explore cables, I'd suggest trying a cheap but respected brand (Blue Jean, Mark Grant, etc.) of interconnect and speaker cable to see if you can hear any difference. I experimented a bit with wire over the years and I can hear differences but they were subtle.

Joe

5. toozeup

toozeup pfm Member

I tend to use cables marketed towards studio/touring use. They tend to be well made with decent materials and in no way overpriced.

6. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

oh no not again

7. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

I use Van Dame Tour Grade Black 2.5 on my 63s, good cable at sensible money.

This will be treat for those who seek out a cable debate/fight, I'm out!

8. Clive D

Clive D Low fidelity victim

And if your partner sees you googling Van Dame you might try Van Damme instead.

It could make for an easier time at home!

9. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

A sage piece of advice there, most amusing so I won't edit my error!

10. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

I have dabbled a little with wires, and convinced myself that sometimes I could hear a difference. But, contrary to most people's advice, don't trust your ear/brain, it is so easily fooled.

Get what you want for peace of mind, as long as it doesn't dent the old account, but don't expect sea changes. MO.

11. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

With a good, properly controlled double-blind listening test?

12. Still

Still gyldengourd

After following Joe P's advice, I would research what the manufacturer/designer recommends for you equipment.
    If you are still interested in experimenting with cables many dealers and manufacturers offer free/no commitment home trials.

13. suzywong

suzywong The Man who had no Naim

And they're off and running............and as they head down the back straight, it's Usual-suspects in the lead with It-won't-make-a-difference a strong second......I've-tried-many-cables and Night-and-day are chasing the leaders. You-must-be-imagining-it is still lurking at the back, waiting to make his (or her) move, but no need to panic just yet, there's a long way to go - at least fifty pages!

14. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

I also use Quad ESL's (989's).

All my equipment is fully balanced with balanced XLR interconnects.

(I have also made my own dual shielded mains cables which made no discernible difference.)

I thought as such that my system was fairly immune to 'noise'.

I tripped over a used one of these, always wanted to try one.

It has lowered the noise floor and increased the 'sweet spot' to the size of a football.

https://airlinktransformers.com/product/standard-balanced-power-supply-bps2020

I'll start a separate thread when the unit returns from a tour of systems in the area.

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Bound to go to the wire.....

16. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

I started with mains then moved onto interconnects.

Upgraded as cheap as I could usually on Ebay.

Happy to have you hear my system with various in and out if you can make it to North West Surrey.

Other alternatives : Go to a dealer that will let you try and return if not happy.
    MCRU and Russ Andrews just 2

17. merlin

merlin pfm Member

I started on speakers, then interconnects and finally onto mains.

I'm now cured.

18. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Even my wife, who doesn't normally notice these things, said 'You spent how much?!!!

19. MattSPL

MattSPL pfm Member

Synergistic Research Black fuse......

I'll just leave that there.

20. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Careful, someone might tread on it.