advertisement

Power leads, interconnects and speaker cable.

mandryka

pfm Member
Hello everyone

I have, I think, a moderate quality if old fashioned system - Quad ESL 63 /Gradiant for speakers, input is via a Museatex idat44 (modified) (the music streams through a squeezebox), amplification is all Quad, a Quad 44 (modified) and a Quad 520f. I listen to classical music - mostly harpsichord and organ and small vocal groups in fact.

I have never investigated leads. Right now I'm using very cheap stuff - bought mostly with no thought at all, from Maplin or the lowest price eBay products.

I'd like to explore the impact of better leads. Where is the best place to begin - power, interconnects (which?) or speaker cable? Any suggestions for a good brand to try? One that won't cost me an arm and a leg, but will give me a sense of what can be achieved by upgrading this area of my system.

mandrake,

Unless you have RF problems, the most important thing is to ensure that the various connections are clean. Usually all cleaning requires is disconnecting and reconnecting a cable several times -- with the system powered off, obviously.

If you want to explore cables, I'd suggest trying a cheap but respected brand (Blue Jean, Mark Grant, etc.) of interconnect and speaker cable to see if you can hear any difference. I experimented a bit with wire over the years and I can hear differences but they were subtle.

Joe

I tend to use cables marketed towards studio/touring use. They tend to be well made with decent materials and in no way overpriced.

I use Van Dame Tour Grade Black 2.5 on my 63s, good cable at sensible money.

This will be treat for those who seek out a cable debate/fight, I'm out!

And if your partner sees you googling Van Dame you might try Van Damme instead.

It could make for an easier time at home!

I have dabbled a little with wires, and convinced myself that sometimes I could hear a difference. But, contrary to most people's advice, don't trust your ear/brain, it is so easily fooled.

Get what you want for peace of mind, as long as it doesn't dent the old account, but don't expect sea changes. MO.

I'd like to explore the impact of better leads. Where is the best place to begin - power, interconnects (which?) or speaker cable? Any suggestions for a good brand to try? One that won't cost me an arm and a leg, but will give me a sense of what can be achieved by upgrading this area of my system.

After following Joe P's advice, I would research what the manufacturer/designer recommends for you equipment.
If you are still interested in experimenting with cables many dealers and manufacturers offer free/no commitment home trials.

And they're off and running............and as they head down the back straight, it's Usual-suspects in the lead with It-won't-make-a-difference a strong second......I've-tried-many-cables and Night-and-day are chasing the leaders. You-must-be-imagining-it is still lurking at the back, waiting to make his (or her) move, but no need to panic just yet, there's a long way to go - at least fifty pages!

I also use Quad ESL's (989's).

All my equipment is fully balanced with balanced XLR interconnects.

(I have also made my own dual shielded mains cables which made no discernible difference.)

I thought as such that my system was fairly immune to 'noise'.

I tripped over a used one of these, always wanted to try one.

It has lowered the noise floor and increased the 'sweet spot' to the size of a football.

https://airlinktransformers.com/product/standard-balanced-power-supply-bps2020

I'll start a separate thread when the unit returns from a tour of systems in the area.

And they're off and running............and as they head down the back straight, it's Usual-suspects in the lead with It-won't-make-a-difference a strong second......I've-tried-many-cables and Night-and-day are chasing the leaders. You-must-be-imagining-it is still lurking at the back, waiting to make his (or her) move. But there's a long way to go - at least fifty pages!

Bound to go to the wire.....

I started with mains then moved onto interconnects.

Upgraded as cheap as I could usually on Ebay.

Happy to have you hear my system with various in and out if you can make it to North West Surrey.

Other alternatives : Go to a dealer that will let you try and return if not happy.
MCRU and Russ Andrews just 2

I started on speakers, then interconnects and finally onto mains.

I'm now cured.

advertisement

Back