advertisement

Power Cables. Are they overhyped? Part III

I'd be interested to know the details of how you get on with that, along with results. Trying to measure RF on the mains faces a number of difficulties.

First, the question of how to do so safely and not electricute yourself or fry the kit, whilst passing though the RF.

Secondly, how to measure all the various possible modes given 3 wires and some mix of common and difference modes.

Thirdly, the problem that you'd need some idea of the impedances - e.g. know the current level of the RF as well as the voltages.

Don't worry, I had no intention of directly connecting to the mains :)

Simply looking at an amps PSU transformer outputs just to get an idea of whats coming through. If something is then insert a funky mains cable and a proper RF filter to see what happens. A simple comparative test.

Could use a SMPS and Home plug network adaptor as "typical" sources of noise.

BTW I know from experience how easily Home plug signals are killed by anything nearby with a filter :)

Whats restricted about it? I am very open to hearing the "proof".

If someone uses the statement "proven" when they have zero evidence then they are making a worthless statement. I think its more common sense than scientist.

OK, if it makes you feel better lets ask Rag precisely how he thinks he has "proven" his view.

I've removed the comment. I'm sure you were not discussing the Arts.

I agree but its a 'blind' faith in the audiophile religion that you're dealing with here. You can't rationalise with somebody that puts blue tack in an amplifier and expects a better sound to come out of the speakers or regards a wobbly IEC connector as a design feature.

During my foo day's, I was crawling around my hifi swapping over the power leads when my wife came in and asked me what I was doing. When I explained, I could see the look of disdain start to appear on her face. It suddenly dawned on me this was no way for a grown man to behave and if I wanted to maintain any semblance of respect I'd better get a grip. Thankfully she never asked me how much the power leads cost! Needless to say, once I had snapped out of my audiophile stupor, the foo leads made no difference whatsoever to the sound.

I agree that factual rationalisations with the more obsessive faith believing audiophile, is almost impossible.

Having said that, it's incredibly easy to get very obsessive about HiFi - fiddling and faffing about, trying all sorts of so called 'tweaks' or so called 'expert' set up tips, to 'improve' (supposedly) the sound. Especially if you don't have much technical knowledge or training, thus being very vulnerable to the claims of manufacturers technobabble, and often outrageously illogical claims by magazine writers.

It's not that hard to educate yourself though - there is plenty of information out there, and easily understandable by lay people as regards what matters and what doesn't re a Hifi, - you just have to open your mind to proven facts and reality, and accept that even your favourite cult HiFi brand is a commercial entity that needs to sell things to make a living. Caveat Emptor etc...

No I just ignore idiots who have had multiple people explain the point multiple times. :p

Go round in circles as much as you like, its your own tail you are chasing, which says quite a lot.

I was wondering how long your argument would be reduced to sarcasm
Just the usual cop out technique when caught in a corner.

I was wondering how long your argument would be reduced to sarcasm
Just the usual cop out technique when caught in a corner.

No, just a realisation that you are going to keep on going round in circles saying the same thing over and over, regardless of how many times myself or others explain.

To continue to engage with you would entirely be a waste of time.

No, justca realsation that you are going to keep on goiing round in circles saying the same thing over and over, regardless of how many times myself or others explain.

To continue to engage with you would entirely be a waste of time.

Ditto.

One hell of a thread.............................. that I have only read bits and pieces of, so apologies for any repetition.

Domestic mains can be, and usually is, full of garbage as domestic customers, unlike industrial ones, are charged only for the energy that they use. This means that domestic kit is very seldom fitted with power factor correction, which means anything except simple resistive loads, such as heaters and incandescent lamps, feeds masses of junk into the mains.
Apart from this, the junk that gets fed into the mains is getting greater as more and more domestic equipment works at high frequencies - microwave ovens, any and all compact fluorescent lighting, and the commonest low voltage source these days - switched mode power supplies. Solar panel/power inverters are great sources of mains junk too.

If anyone thinks that changing, in any way, a piece of copper cable or flex, can cut any of this junk..................................

Interesting take on this - see posts no. 5, 13 and 14 in particular -

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/accessories/mains-cable-confusion

I'd be interested to know the details of how you get on with that, along with results. Trying to measure RF on the mains faces a number of difficulties.

First, the question of how to do so safely and not electricute yourself or fry the kit, whilst passing though the RF.

Secondly, how to measure all the various possible modes given 3 wires and some mix of common and difference modes.

Thirdly, the problem that you'd need some idea of the impedances - e.g. know the current level of the RF as well as the voltages.

A mains LISN is needed

Anonomous? It's Jean Claude Van Damme.

"Van Damme has consistently delivered a quality cable solution to the Studios for over 20 years
– Abbey Road Studios"

"the brain measures timing differences of the sound hitting the ear drums to much smaller times- in the realms of 250 KHz"

Right...

Only after market mains lead I got was the Nordost Vishnu, used. Not good on Naim amp, ok on Naim CD player and pretty good on Sugden amp. Wouldn't experiment any more.

advertisement

Back