1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible 'Fuel Strike' and the Police State

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Mullardman, Mar 28, 2012.

1. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

And you want them to strike only when it suits you-bloody hypocrite.

2. Still

Still gyldengourd

Please see post 45:

3. mmterror

mmterror pfm Member

My dad retired about 5 years ago and never earned more than £20k in his life. We always lived comfortably as a family of 4 and he was made redundant several times. Mum stopped working 1971 when I was born. We never went without and had holidays abroad. It's down to how you plan stuff and manage your money.

Like I said people just don't live within their means. They want it all NOW.

4. Scott_01

Scott_01 pfm Member

Apologies for going inevitably going over the same old ground. I hadn't been listening to the news and wasn't aware what the PM said until this evening, when I got in the car to fill my empty tank before a long drive tomorrow night.

1. I cannot believe the stupidity of the PM and Francis Maude. What a pair of cretins! Firstly Cameron says "Don't panic, er but you might want to top up" then that tube Maude manages somehow to worsen matters by suggesting that people fill up a Jerrycan too! If that isn't an incentive to panic then I don't know what is. Certainly the huge lines at the places I didn't stop at tonight appear to indicate there is some small measure of panic going on. I would take Cameron over Milliband or Clegg any day, Napoleon liked lucky generals as opposed to good ones and he is undoubtably lucky. That said, I wish he would engage his brain before throwing around off the cuff remarks like that. Makes him and cohort look even more aloof and also like bumbling idiots to boot.

2. What does a petrol tanker driver need in addition to the skills of a normal HGV driver, a Hazmat qualification? They get the same drivers hours legislation protection that everybody (except foreign ones on speed) gets in the UK, mandated rest periods etc. This is why they don't get paid amazing wages, because their job isn't that hard. I don't like the idea of my pension provider changing 6 times in 10 years and If this is the last resort for them then I support their right to withdraw labour. With any luck the shit conmpanies will go tits up and the better ones remain. But this can't last forever and eventually somebody else should have the opportunity to tip up and do the job for the set T&C. Talk about pricing (or 'safetying') yourself out of the market. We have a couple of million unemployed and they drive a truck for Gods sake, a truck!!!

IMO this is Opportunism of exactly the same sort that those self-inflated bankers exhibit. Bring the military drivers in and get it sorted out.

5. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

I think this bunch of chinless toff boy Condem diots just keep getting worse.

PANIC! dont panic, panic buy, stock up, top up, keep petrol in your garage, don't deplete stocks-f _cking imbecilic, totally useless bunch of corrupt sleazy tax dodging slimeball public schoolboys.

6. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

There would be public support for a fuel blockade over excise duty.

7. russel

russel ./_dazed_and_confused

In 1971 1500K a year was about 20KUKP adjusted for inflation, 20K a year in 1971 was around 240K a year in today's money.

8. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

Until the supermarkets ran out of food.

9. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

They wouldn't. The government would be forced to the negotiating table before then.

10. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Can you hear Talvin Singh?

I think the government would, quite rightly, bring in the Army to break the blockade.

11. Michael L

Michael L Banned

Of course; just as long as fuel supplies where unaffected.

12. russel

Are the RAF:

1. A state institution

2. A private company

13. Michael L

Michael L Banned

Or, a temporary expedient?

It would help if you actually read the reply.The system is NOT being moved.

14. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

15. Still

Still gyldengourd

Are you saying the tanker driver's main concern is safety, & not money, cooky?
    No wonder the situation is confusing for some!

16. russel

The system is being subsidised, again.

17. Michael L

Michael L Banned

How so?

Just because the RAF *might* keep the tankers rolling is hardly subsidising the "system", is it? At least you've realised the system isn't being moved.

18. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

T'would appear so.Pay will be in there somewhere but the hell drivers delivery timetables is obviously an attempt to get more deliveries made inside the legal hours which is bloody dangerous-BP's recent safety record speaks for itself, this is part of a much wider drive for 'efficiency'(from an industry drowning in profits btw) that is compromising depo, forecourt and road safety

19. russel

If the RAF are called in, it will have been moved from the private sector to the state sector.

20. Michael L

Michael L Banned

No, it won't.

Like I said, it will be a temporary expedient. The tankers will not be transferred to the ownership of Crab Air. They MAY provide tanker drivers if the current drivers go ahead and try to hold the country to ransom.

Its not subsidising "the system". Its not transferring "the system". Its a short term measure to keep the country from grinding to a very rapid halt.

If you think that is moving the fuel supply system to the State, can I interest you in a deal to extract $1000000000000000000 dollars from my brothers account in Nigeria?

No need for me to reply to you any more.