advertisement

Popul Vuh

FireMoon

pfm Member
Over the last couple of years I've bought a few of the "Wah Wah Records" reissues of the 70s Popul Vuh output. Always lumped under the banner of "Kraut Rock" they tread what one might call a more traditionally melodic path, if mostly instrumental. I have admit, over the years, I've rather overlooked "The Vuh" and am glad I have decided to delve deeper into their catalogue. If you have a penchant for proggie tinged instrumental work then they are a band you really should investigate.

I've been hooked since I first heard them years ago. As soon as the WahWah stuff was announced I ordered it all. I have had poor results though with the One Way Static reissues of 'For you and me'....I've a couple of copies of the 300ltd edition black and clear vinyl. First copy sounds like it's been pressed using sandpaper so I complained and the Euro distributor sent a replacement which sounded just as bad.

Hopefully Wah Wah will eventually complete the collection.

I have every one of their albums on CD (mostly Spalax) bought from Ultima Thule in Leicester in the 90s.

Florian is greatly missed.

BTW Messa De Orfeo is a fine late period album that many people have not heard.

Can I just say how grateful I am to you guys for posting about Popol Vuh. I've investigated and can't believe how I missed them this past 45 years.

A bit late to the party, I have managed to snap up these so far: Affenstunde, In Den Garten on SPV CD, and Seligpreissung, Einsjager, Letzte Tage, Das Hohelied, Coeur de Verre, Nosferatu, Aguirre, Sei Still Wisse, Tantric Songs, Florian Fricke’s “The Earth and I, all on Wah-Wah LP.

Reading up as best I can it seems availability of their music is hit and miss. Lots of pirate LPs out there, and many of the CDs are vinyl rips. But the Wah-Wah records are pretty good. Although I have no other Vuh to compare with I do have some Embryo LPs on Wah and can recommend them.

Its been great watching some movie clips from Aguirre too - the famous clip of the walk down the mountain. I've only scratched the surface as yet.

Popol Vuh are just different from anyone I've heard, and I have heard a lot of music. Funnily enough one recording I haven't found to gel with me is Hosianna, which is generally reckoned to be a peak. In that vein I think Sei Still is much more adventurous.

As an aside I have seen Opeth play a few times. I nearly fell of my chair hearing the opening track from Einsjager as it is the track they come on stage to. And a gorgeous piece.

Firemoon, zygote, and theadmans - thank you very much.

I'd love to hear more by PV but there are hardly any CDs available at sensibe prices and Spotify is hit and miss.

I must be going through a Krautrock phase as I bought the Faust box set yesterday ("The Wumme Years").

Thanks folks, I'll take a look at discogs. Ideally though I'd like to see a nicely curated box set of their best or most influential work. It's a shame nothing like that exists.

advertisement

Back