advertisement

Poorly SP10 mk2

Daveo

pfm Member
Hi. My SP10 has decided to start playing funny buggers.
A bit of background, when i purchased the unit circa 8 years ago, one of the 1st things i did was send the unit to Dave at Sound Hifi for a full tune up - although i didn't get anything done with the PSU.
I noticed a couple of years ago that the strobe light started working only intermittently, then not at all, but otherwise everything was great. A week ago i noticed that the sound was starting to warble a bit. I oiled the bearing, but upon restarting the unit, the TT now only spins at one speed, seems like at least 78rpm. I'm guessing it's maybe a PSU problem, with the strobe going 1st and now something else in there giving up the ghost.
Has anyone else ever encountered this problem? or point me in the direction of someone who i could send to look at it. I see Sound Hifi no longer do repairs, hence the question. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

I had similar problems last year with my SP10. It even started to run backwards until it warmed up. Tried another good power supply which proved turntable ok. Set about repairing power supply by Googling for info , schematics etc. Warned that it would possibly end in tears but proceeded anyway because alternatives very expensive. Recapped the main board but initially unsuccessful and totally frustrated in obtaining the 3 necessary DC power supplies to the deck (5V, 32.5V & 140V). Finally success and continued with rebuilding a 3rd PS I own. Problems turned out to be tracking on the circuit board due to residue from previously leaking capacitors which I cleaned off with isopropyl. Rebuilt it twice before it was all cleaned off and it worked. Not immediately obvious because soldered terminal points are very close together and faults on the 5V circuit can affect the 32.5V circuit. Its a delicate circuit board so don't tear it apart by using a solder sucker when desoldering; use solder mop or gentler methods.
I would start by turning on the power supply and measuring the output voltages on the DC output socket. Pin 1 to pin 2 should be 5V, 1 to 3 32.5V and 1 to 4 140V. If you do not obtain these voltages then go for a recap. All necessary parts are readily available but you may have to fit a radial cap where originally it was an axial.

Thanks for that Disco, i'll have to dig out the multi meter tomorrow and see wait it comes out at - i'm pretty sure it's the PSU, will give me the chance to tidy a couple of other bits up at the same time - cheers!

advertisement

Back