advertisement

Pioneer PDR Error

CHE

pfm Member
I have a Pioneer PDR-509 CD recorder that has given sterling service for a number of years. Yesterday without warning it came up with a 'Can not record' message when trying to, er, record to a CD-RW. I tried a few more discs but got the same message which is listed here as being rather innocuous :-

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/130089/Pioneer-Pdr-509.html?page=37

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so is it a keeper or bin ?

CHE

I had the 609 years ago and never got good results with RW discs.if I actually got music on an RW disc there would inevitably by an issue with finalising the thing. Try an 'audio' CD-R - one time use only but they're cheap enough if you buy tubs of 50 or 100 at a time.

I get the same error with CD-R discs as well unfortunately. Interestingly the disc won't eject when you hit the 'open' button, you have to cycle the mains power to get it out. Does this hint at a specific problem ?

CHE

I had the same problem with CD-R Disks as Lezki said try CD's that are Audio certified, should work fine, if not then I think your recorder is on the blink. You can then use the Audio disks as data disks. (If I remember correctly there is a codeing imprinted on the disks that allow them to record).

Open it up and check all the boards for any bulging capacitors? Clean the laser with a cleaning disc?

Beyond that, the going rate on UK eBay appears to be around £50 - £75 for 509s and 609s described as "in excellent working order" .... probably cheaper than any repairman could do to diagnose and fix....

'Can not record' is not a hardware failure. These domestic recorders respond to the copycode bit on CDs. You are allowed one digital copy then the copy will not clone. The system is very ham fisted, as if you made a compilation disc from various sources, once the disk is set, it won't even allow the tracks that would not have flagged the error to be recorded from the copy disk.

OK reading your manual above, says 'can not copy' means copycode and 'can not record' means not a recognised source CD. I believe the laser tests the disc before recording, so maybe it's the RW that is worn out? I don't know. If you can't use it, my 609 works well as an ADC. Press record with no disc and an analog source will go to digital out, so you could feed a PC with spdif, and some free recording software, for example.

My PC won't burn Audio CD-R disks which is really stupid.

advertisement

Back