advertisement

Pink Triangle PSU/Motor repair/swap

Amber Audio

This is the Day
I was bought, as a 21st birthday present by my parents, a Pink Triangle PT1, my girlfriend then and wife now had it upgraded to a PT Too as an Xmas present, so it has a lot of sentimental value.

My main deck is a Gyro SE so this is an indulgence but hey, it's Xmas :)

The PSU and/or motor has packed in, also the rear suspension is dodgy, nowadays after an accident at work I'm partially sighted so doing any more than basic work is not possible, can't solder anymore.

I've been recommended an Origin Live kit and know someone who can help fit it.

I'm NE Scotland and posting is not an option, no box and wary of couriers and TT's.

Any other motor kit options, comments?

I could possibly get a PT box and send it to Funk but was hoping for a more DIY approach.

Cheers for looking.

Gus

Funk Firm might be able to help. I know at least two dealers that can fix most things PT and they are Doug Brady Hifi (ex=PT employee's) and Deco Audio.

It would nice to keep it as original as possible.

Loads of options available to you including giving it the full vector treatment which brings it closer to Anniversary standard. As has been pointed out, the Vinyl Engine PT and funk firm forum has a wealth of knowledge.
The Origin Live kit will work fine though and bring it back to the DC turntable it was meant to be, although sourcing your own replacement DC motor and power supply (or batteries) would be a more satisfactory option.
I have a spare set of springs for mine but I can't remember where I got them from, I'm sure they're still available.

What arm and cartridge have you got on it?
Running on form it could well give your Gyro a run for it's money.

Not decided what way to go yet, ideally it'll be as near stock as I can make it, not looking to update it to Vector.

I had a Helius Scorpio on it when new (still have it) and now a Rega 300 / AT F7.

The Gyro will get a SME V/XX Mk 2 soon, so it's TechnoArm/10x5 could go on the PT after that.

Down the line the Gyro will get sold and I'll get a high end deck, the PT will tide me over as it may take a while to get that sorted out.

Check to see if it is PSU or motor problem.
I have a synchronous motor from an LPT with pulley going spare if you want it.
I believe springs are available from Tru Point now.

Check to see if it is PSU or motor problem.
I have a synchronous motor from an LPT with pulley going spare if you want it.
I believe springs are available from Tru Point now.

Thank-you for the offer, that's really generous. I'm hoping it's just the PSU (blown caps maybe) and rear suspension, which it does look like I can get from Tru Point, Xmas hols coming up I'll get it out of storage and have a good look see.

A bit of a thread resurrection here but I'm wondering if/how you got it fixed?

Last edited:
@Pinky & WGW

No progress I'm afraid. The advice is that the PSU is a swine to fix as some of the bits are unobtainium, I missed a couple used ones a couple years back, there was one on eBay recently, they go circa £200-250 for the metal case rectangular one, but you've no way to know if it's OK long term and if not you are pretty much sh*t outa luck.

Advice seems to be to turn it into something other that a PT Too using 3rd party DC Motors kits - common theme was Origin Live. True Point suggested an OL Kit mod and full overhaul, but it was more £ than I wanted to spend and it's not a PT Too afterwards. PM your email and I can send you a price list of parts like Suspension Hangers/Springs etc. if you like.

I took a turn for the worse Spring 2017 so put things on hold and haven't had the inclination to look again. I don't want a hybrid deck so it is still a project I want to do but not top priority. If you manage to get your ones sorted please update this thread.

Gus

Shame, I've currently got two Pinks and three motor control boxes. I've replaced all the caps with no sucess but two seem have started working again when it got much warmer. Threads on other forums appear to suggest that the crystal gets less good at vibrating and needs replacing? I just need time to investigate, re-solder the connections to the switch and try a Heed I picked up...........
If all else fails it looks like an OL upgrade.

advertisement

Back