advertisement

Pi - Dac - CCA

That looks like an upgraded/updated version of mine, fat caps and an upgraded clock...good price too!

You'll need a 'dog bone case' as it's rather tall, or they sell some specific aluminium cases...

The Allos seem to get some good reviews too, particularly the Boss

Yeh the case maybe a problem, the Audiophonics case are nearly as much as the dac and don't fancy having an open case.
Does the Audiophonics dac hat slot into the Pi without the need for soldering and how would I connect it to my amp?

Yeh the case maybe a problem, the Audiophonics case are nearly as much as the dac and don't fancy having an open case.
Does the Audiophonics dac hat slot into the Pi without the need for soldering and how would I connect it to my amp?
All the HATs I've had just slot in, all you need to connect to your amp is some analogue cables, assuming you've gone for a DAC HAT

The IQ is a lovely package, with a great case, the Audiophonics has a little bit more depth for me in SQ...if I were buying again I might be tempted by the Allo Boss, they seem to have some nice cases too...

iTunes is my favourite browser and HQ Player is my preferred music file processor so I drag and drop from one to the other:

6htemu.png.d7711a33b93151c06c8479c7595466c8.png

Well definitely going to give the Raspberry Pi/Dac a go, yes the CCA is good but just fancy a bit of a project. Judging by reviews the Audiophonics is the better Dac but the lack of cheap dedicated cases is putting me of. So it's between the Iqaudio and the Allo Boss . Is the Allo Boss compatible with Picorplayer?

Well definitely going to give the Raspberry Pi/Dac a go, yes the CCA is good but just fancy a bit of a project. Judging by reviews the Audiophonics is the better Dac but the lack of cheap dedicated cases is putting me of. So it's between the Iqaudio and the Allo Boss . Is the Allo Boss compatible with Picorplayer?
It looks like Allo Boss support was included in piCorePlayer at the 3.20 release, use the current 3.22 Audio Version (contains some additional drivers)...

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/news

...FWIW I use a £5 'Dog Bone' pi case with my Audiophonics, I think it looks quite nice, in a 'steam punk' kind of way...;-)

I'd post a photo but don't know how...

With something like the Audiophonics dac one can play about with power supplies, if this appeals to one.

The dac can be powered through the pi 5 volt supply, or the dac can take a 7.5 volt supply and power the pi or both dac and pi can be individually powered.

Using picoreplayer the whole shebang can be switched on and off with the use of a momentary switch.

This latter option is also possible using Raspbian as the OS, Volumio or MoOde player.

Ronnie

Using picoreplayer the whole shebang can be switched on and off with the use of a momentary switch.
If you configure the cache/index to use a USB mounted flash drive, the OS SD card is only ever used in read only mode, which then makes the whole thing immune to power outages, even whilst building the catalogue...when it's used as just a player it's immune to power outages by default, as the SD card is never written to

I know Will, but thanks for pointing it out to others ;):).

I do like a pretty blue switch though, and it saves me bending over after taking drink!:oops::eek:o_O

Well finally got round to building the Raspberry Pi / DAC Streamer.

After plenty of research I went for this DAC

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-...-v2-tcxo-raspberry-pi-20-a-b-i2s-p-10657.html

Combined with a Linear PSU and power button, which enables the Pi to be turned of safely without the risk of corrupting the SD card.

Did a bit of a DIY case with some acrylic and a few nuts and bolts.

The SQ is in my opinion excellent. Its not massively better than the CCA but is just a cleaner sound with more depth to it.

Also being able to able to stream my local Flac files and internet radio is a bonus.

I used PicorePlayer / LMS / Squeezelite with Spotify plugin, which was pretty easy to setup although I did get plenty of help from this forum which is very helpfull.

Here's a few pics of the finished product.

20171217_020312 by Andrew Hilton, on Flickr

20171217_021037 by Andrew Hilton, on Flickr

20171217_020528 by Andrew Hilton, on Flickr

20171217_020755 by Andrew Hilton, on Flickr

advertisement

Back