advertisement

Phono stages.

Has anyone compared a Rega IOS (non-reference version) against these super phono stages?

I bought an ex-dem IOS several years ago for a great price and am very happy with it, but it seems to get little mention here, which is odd given pfm's British kit bias. If suppose I like it and others don't it's not an issue, but it seems odd the IOS is so rarely mentioned, whether experiences have been good, bad or ugly.

Joe

It replaced a Clear Audio Reference phono stage, which was also superb but after sales and servicing were a bit of a shambles.

clearaudio-reference-phono-stage.jpg

Is this a Clearaudio phonostage? Isn't it Martensen phonostage? Martensen designed or assisted in the designing of DPS turntable power supply. Hence this phonostage power supply resemble a DPS2 power supply. Sorry to be out of topic but not very often do you see this phonostage.

Yep certainly is, here is the rear view of it.

Not sure who designed it but it did have a very strange connect between the power supply and the phono stage.

I just goggled the Martensen and your are right is does look as though he must have had a hand in the design as the casework looks remarkably similar

clearaudio-reference-phono-stage.jpg

I'm quite crestfallen...

I mean I knew that my 20 year old E.A.R. 834 P was no longer the 'top dog' it was of old..

I knew that even fitting it with rare 'milspec' Mullards was only a temporary fix...

But 'nothing special',, came as a blow.

My records now all sound crap..

How could I let this happen!!??

Oh... the shame...

It's all psychosomatic, Mull. If Valium won't do it, try some heavier stuff than valves to roll and it'll all return to bliss.:D

Thanks Mike.

I'm looking into the 'Weed' phono stage, with the PCP upgrades.

Either it will sound good.. or I won't care.

Mull

Whest PS.30 RDT Special Edition.

By far the best phono stage I've owned and is absolutely silent, even with a Decca Gold.

I'm quite crestfallen...

I mean I knew that my 20 year old E.A.R. 834 P was no longer the 'top dog' it was of old..

I knew that even fitting it with rare 'milspec' Mullards was only a temporary fix...

But 'nothing special',, came as a blow.

My records now all sound crap..

How could I let this happen!!??

Oh... the shame...

The 834P is a very musical phono stage indeed.

Anyone have any experience of the Cyrus Phono Signature? Is there a better avenue to go down with a budget of £1200 (price without its off board PSU)

The Whest looks interesting but adds another £200.

Can I ask a stupid question ...... at any given budget (say the £1200, do you find one phono stage sound much better than another OR is it the overall sound presentation that changes (more fitting with you liking a particular sound etc)

I will be testing the new Vertere Phono 1, it arrives this week and from what I have heard about it, it redefines the performance bar at this price, £1K, and well beyond.

Another star performer which I currently use is the Trilogy 906 at just £895.

I will be testing the new Vertere Phono 1, it arrives this week and from what I have heard about it, it redefines the performance bar at this price, £1K, and well beyond.

Hope you'll give us your thoughts on this.:)

I'd be very interested in your thoughts of the Vertere (is this a Touraj designed phono?) as I regard the Trilogy 906 something of a benchmark SS option in this price bracket.

^^^ Yes it's Touraj's new stage, it arrives today, I'll run it in a bit then get back to you all.

I've written Vertere several times asking about the Phono 1's output impedance and ability to drive poweramps with passive linestages. Unfortunately they havent answered...

Also worth considering that if you are vinyl only things like the Brinkmann and Icon which have volume controls can be used directly into a power amp. So when I had an Icon it ran straight into a Naim 250 which meant the 52/Scap was redundant. Incidentally I asked Jez Arkless if he could build me one of his with a volume control and he said he could. Never did it because by then I was running an integrated amp so the need disappeared. The key bit is that you can get a better phono that way because you don't need a pre-amp. In Naimland that is a lot of dosh!

Has anyone compared a Rega IOS (non-reference version) against these super phono stages?

I bought an ex-dem IOS several years ago for a great price and am very happy with it, but it seems to get little mention here, which is odd given pfm's British kit bias. If suppose I like it and others don't it's not an issue, but it seems odd the IOS is so rarely mentioned, whether experiences have been good, bad or ugly.

Joe
I had that first generation Ios in my setup for years. It does have strengths and weaknesses as any other stage in it's price class I've heard. Very pacy and upfront sound but can be a bit harsh sometimes and doesn't have the weight and definition in the bass as some of the bit better/expensive kit I've heard.

I've tried many of the phono stages mentioned here. To name a few I've tried at least Rega Aria, Trichord Diablo/Dino, Origin live (Ultra?), modified Tron Seven, Linn Uphorik, Trilogy 907, ASR Mini Basis, CA 640P, Ensemble Fonovivo, Whest PS30RDT SE and Tom Evans Groove 20th Anniversary. I ended up with EAR 88PB and in my opinion it's the best balance between upfront & punchy sound for rock and refined sweetness for jazz etc. I use it with Lyra Delos on a Simon Yorke S9. The 88PB may not be the best phono stage in the world but it makes all my music exciting and enjoyable and at the moment I'm very happy with it.

Cheers, dzeikei.

I'm happy with the IOS and have no plans to swap it for another phono stage, but it seemed odd that so few people mention it given the number of Rega fans here.

Joe

advertisement

Back