1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Phono stages.

Discussion in 'audio' started by mikegreenwood, Jun 30, 2016.

1. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

Too many rich people here lol I have to make do with the Musical Fidelity XLPs v3. Works well enough for me. Bought it from a SevenOaks branch closure long time ago for £140 new

2. timeout

timeout ignorance is bliss

i am still using AuroraSound VIDA phono stage
    [​IMG]

3. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

The Vida is very good.

4. Big Tabs

Big Tabs frequently wrong.

Arkless Turbo. Jolly good.

5. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

I moved up to an Arkless from my Dino, great VFM (I have it for sale, should anyone desire such).

6. jamie123

jamie123 pfm Member

im using a Nakamichi ca5 pre amp,i bought it just for the phono stage.

7. samz

samz pfm Member

I'm enjoying a Heed Questar with Heed Q PSU matched with a AT440MLb in my system, not sure how it stacks up to the opposition but would be interested to hear if anyone has made some comparisons.

8. timeout

timeout ignorance is bliss

yeah

some say it make svinyl sound darker ;)

9. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

I use an urika , certainly showed the difference when I changed my cartridge.

10. Waxxy

Waxxy pfm Member

Over the past decade, I've owned a few outstanding phono stages including Eastern Electric, Moon and 47 Labs. I continue to use the EE Minimax and have no urge to upgrade...no urge to upgrade the phono stage anyway! ;)

[​IMG]

11. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

How much would one have to spend to make a meaningful step up from the Cambridge 651 (for MM)?

12. DavidY80

DavidY80 Not RoHS Compliant

In my case it was probably around £150 in parts, going the DIY route with Rod Elliot's phono stage.

13. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

14. F1eng

F1eng pfm Member

Goldmund PH2

15. gx502

gx502 pfm Member

If staying with MM cartridges, the njc stage is excellent. I believe it would be a very large upgrage from the Cambridge 651 (good though the 651 is at its price point).

The NJC stage costs 495GBP, but I believe they only ship within the UK.

http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/html/phonopreamp.html

16. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

Looks quite nice, but you are correct about UK only.

17. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

You certainly can't complain about the parts quality with the NJC - I don't think I've ever heard it though:

[​IMG]

18. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

Phono Clone.... love it.

19. yuckyamson

yuckyamson pfm Member

FWIW the ones that I've noticed coming up consistently from this group were:

1) Arkless 640/651 Turbo or Turbo++. I realize there was at one point some bloodshed on this issue but people seemed to really love the product.

2) The Paradise which, if I'm not mistaken Simon built like 10 of. They are supposed to be great. Certainly some of the pictures would indicate a serious phono stage, again, never heard it.

My question to you guys with experiences on the above was what about the:

3) Firebottle

It something designed in a similar vein (not technically, but spiritually) as another DIY project somewhere else out there in the Ether-Sphere-Webs and I'm curious how it stacks up to these.

I can only speak for my own DV P-75 which, I think is quite good and having gone up to the Mk. 3 now they are really quite solid.

20. martin dawson

martin dawson pfm Member

I think you'll find Simon has built at least 16 to my knowledge as my one was no14.
    It is a very serious phono stage but you have to have 4 boxes a la Naim 110. It's a mono format with a dedicated power supply per channel, easily out classing my previous phono stage Whest Audio 30R.

Simon once told me that a friend of his had a Tom Evans top of the range phono stage circa £10K and there wasn't much in it.

Regards,

Martin