advertisement

Philips Stereo HF306 Pre amp

Wow, that looks very cool! Never seen one before. Certainly looks like a stereo preamp and two EL84 mono power amps, and in stunning condition!

Nice find! The print on the amp is in Dutch, I think.
The design looks like something Thöress could have made decades later. I like the looks too.

They also look to be stuffed full of Mullard ‘mustard’ caps, so shouldn’t need much work doing beyond the big can electrolytic in each unit and a couple of smaller ones in the power amp. Really beautiful looking kit, I bet it goes for good money, and likely to Japan, Hong Kong or South Korea. Hope it stays together, it would a real shame to split a set as nice as that.

They also look to be stuffed full of Mullard ‘mustard’ caps, so shouldn’t need much work doing beyond the big can electrolytic in each unit and a couple of smaller ones in the power amp. Really beautiful looking kit, I bet it goes for good money, and likely to Japan, Hong Kong or South Korea. Hope it stays together, it would a real shame to split a set as nice as that.
It might be a really smart tactic by the seller. Everyone bidding on any of the items is going to be after the whole set, so there's probably going to be some frenetic bidding in the last few minutes as potential buyers try to get on top of both auctions.

A lovely set that has a 50’s futuristic look about it. You can almost imagine Danger Man (Patrick McGoohan) might have used them in his home before he became The Prisoner.

I can well imagine these hooked up to a pair of Tannoys, perhaps with a Garrad 301/SME arm, or maybe a TD124

It might be a really smart tactic by the seller. Everyone bidding on any of the items is going to be after the whole set, so there's probably going to be some frenetic bidding in the last few minutes as potential buyers try to get on top of both auctions.

Equally once they know who's won the first auction maybe nobody else will bid for the second, leaving it open to the winner of the pre on a low bid. So could just as easily work against the seller.

Equally once they know who's won the first auction maybe nobody else will bid for the second, leaving it open to the winner of the pre on a low bid. So could just as easily work against the seller.
They end within 3 minutes of each other, so it might not be that dire. We'll see!

advertisement

Back